Ruins in Belize & Costa Maya

edmasbetsy

We are sailing on Ind of Seas, RC in March. We are interested in visiting ruins. Belize is our first stop, the next day Costa Maya. It it overkill to visit ruins both days? Was thinking about taking the Lamanai/New River in Belize, but wasnt sure about the Costa Maya ruins? Any suggestions. We are both in good physical shape.

We are sailing on Ind of Seas, RC in March. We are interested in visiting ruins. Belize is our first stop, the next day Costa Maya. It it overkill to visit ruins both days? Was thinking about taking the Lamanai/New River in Belize, but wasnt sure about the Costa Maya ruins? Any suggestions. We are both in good physical shape.

I've visited Lamanai in Belize and Chachoben in Costa Maya. Lamanai is a fascinating site by the side of a lagoon, absolutely unique; you see (small) wildlife and have the opportunity to climb a high, steep temple (110 feet). There are a couple of other temples as well. It is a full-day excursion. If you feel comfortable with a long trip, I recommend it highly.

Chachoben in Costa Maya is a pretty site with about 3 excavated temples and some smaller structures. It's only recently been uncovered so you can't climb on things. It's a shorter trip, about a 1/2 day, leaving you time to spend at Majahual relaxing, should you so desire. Costa Maya also has a full-day trip to Kohunlich, which has more extensive ruins. Apart from climbing the high temple, nothing at either site would strain anyone who's in shape. Both sites have atmospheric scrub-jungle plantlife, including the fountainlike Cohune palms.

As to "overkill", that depends on your level of interest/curiosity in the subject. Each site is unique, and each site will give you some photo ops. Everyone who's been to Lamanai recommends it highly. At Costa Maya a morning trip to Chachoben would give you a different look + time to relax, eat (& whatever) at the beach in the afternoon. A visit to Kohunlich would take all day, but it's also a world-class site. Personally I feel that any ruins appeal to the eye, the imagination and the camera.

One more thing: there's plenty of shade at Lamanai and Chachoben, but in March either place is going to be HOT. Take that water-bottle.

We snaggled a cab to Altun Ha in Belize. We wanted to see Lamanai or Xunatunich, but decided that either would push the time frame too much. I wouldn't book either except through Carnival and I didn't want to pay that much OR be on a 7-8 hour tour.

Altun Ha is a nice, interesting site, and we wound up eating true local fare in an open cafe across the parking lot. We were also able to squeeze in a side trip to Bermudian Landing Black Howler preserve. That was local, and very cool.

DO NOT FORGET YOUR INSECT REPELLANT IN BELIZE!!!!!!!!

:):):):)

Archived