CAA (Not the acronym you're expecting...)

CanadianTwosome

Ha ha ha ha ha

Retiredonthesea, nice to see you! My birthday was great, as usual, thanks for asking! I actually started looking at our next cruise months ago, but had to wait and see how our schedules panned out... I'm glad I did, of course, since this scuba thing came up. I can't wait until I can book the next cruise and plan dives at all the ports!! (Yes, I booked this one yesterday and I'm planning the next one. This is Cruise Addicts Anonymous, right? :p)

with the economy as uncertain as it is! Why do we feel so proud that we got a "deal" we couldn't resist? I get emails from all the agencies, I think, yet someone on Dawn last week said they paid only $150 base price simply by calling their travel agent and saying, "find me a deal." Never heard of such a low price. The ship was sold out (of course). Most people had felt good about paying double that and most had paid 4x that much for the same category cabin. Oh this addiction is keeping me from traveling on land!

Ha ha ha ha ha

Retiredonthesea, nice to see you! My birthday was great, as usual, thanks for asking! I actually started looking at our next cruise months ago, but had to wait and see how our schedules panned out... I'm glad I did, of course, since this scuba thing came up. I can't wait until I can book the next cruise and plan dives at all the ports!! (Yes, I booked this one yesterday and I'm planning the next one. This is Cruise Addicts Anonymous, right? :p)

CT, when you get scuba certified, make sure to check out the Scuba and Snorkeling board on CC. The divers over there are a fantastic resource for finding dive operators and answering any questions you may have. I am so excited for you getting certified...it opens up a whole new world of adventure.:D

I think I have a problem but I don't think this is the best place to get help. It's a bit like sending an overeater to the buffet!!!

I just booked my third for 2009 sailing the week before my already booked Jewel Dec cruise making it a back to back. The same ship and same itinerary two weeks in a row. That has to be a sign of the disease right?

I think I have a problem but I don't think this is the best place to get help. It's a bit like sending an overeater to the buffet!!!

I just booked my third for 2009 sailing the week before my already booked Jewel Dec cruise making it a back to back. The same ship and same itinerary two weeks in a row. That has to be a sign of the disease right?

Overeater to the buffet??? Now that's classic-thanks

As for same ship same itinerary two weeks in a row-that might not be a disease. It could just mean you like the ship and/or the itinerary. Nothing wrong with that. :D

Overeater to the buffet??? Now that's classic-thanks

As for same ship same itinerary two weeks in a row-that might not be a disease. It could just mean you like the ship and/or the itinerary. Nothing wrong with that. :D

Thanks I need all the "support" I can get... Now that I have booked every day of vacation I have in 2009 with cruises I have to wait for the Epic 2010 bookings to open.

Cruisin' is the only way to go! You've got everthing on the ship, food, entertainment, gambling, show. You can be active or do nothing, your choice. Even with the cutbacks that most cruise lines are implementing, you still get a big bang for your buck!:D

I'm definitely an addict.

When my kids were young their normal reply when I told them we couldn't afford something was "Just drop one of your cruises each year." Now I just tell them them I am spending their inheritance and if they keep being nice to me we'll still include them with us for one a year!

CT, when you get scuba certified, make sure to check out the Scuba and Snorkeling board on CC. The divers over there are a fantastic resource for finding dive operators and answering any questions you may have. I am so excited for you getting certified...it opens up a whole new world of adventure.:D

Thank you! I'm very excited about it, too! I was actually going to get certified and do a scuba vacation for my honeymoon thirteen and a half years ago, but we had to change our plans, so I didn't bother. Then life got in the way... then parenthood... but when I saw the age restriction on the 'Discover Scuba' excursion was 10 and our daughter could come along, there was no discussion!! It was truly an amazing day, too. She was so good in the classroom and answered every question correctly when we had our little test at the end. Then in the shallow water, she was better than I was. When it came for the stride jump into the deep water, I was already in and I could see she was nervous, but my husband jumped in and then she followed. She said that she was so scared she was crying and the tears were collecting in her mask, but her desire to jump was stronger (when she told me this, I reminded her that we had told her that she could quit anytime and not do it if she didn't feel comfortable and she said, 'I know that, but I really wanted to go!'). She was as excited as I was (or more) to be underwater, pointing out fish, coral and sea cucumbers, constantly gesturing at her dad to take pictures. After we came up, she confirmed that she definitely wanted to do it again and again, so that's why our next trip has to include certification. :)

I thought about it, and I think cruiselines should offer cert programs. I've never been on a 7day or longer cruise that didn't have a sea day first off, and that could be used for the classroom portion of the instruction, then the first port could include typical confined water instruction, and then there could be dives in two more ports to complete certification (I think I've got the content right). I'll bet they'd get a huge response. I know I would have picked it over what we're doing... but then, I'm a Cruise Addict!! :p

I was going to actually start a new thread. Then I remembered this one. So I thought that I'd post this amongst other CC addicts.

I think I need a vacation from CC. I don't know if it's me and I have a short fuse, or other people, but I have been involved in more unpleasant conversations on this board in the last 2 days then I've been involved in total in the last 2 years.

It seems that every time I post, someone comes back and lights into me. Or answers with some snarky comment. I ask a question about a HC balcony size and I get accused of booking a HC room when I don't need one. I answer a question about non potty trained kids not be allowed in pools and get a response that they don't care what I say, kids are allowed. Someone else posts something to me that totally confuses me as to what they are saying and when I ask them what they mean, they come back with some snarky comment about my intelligence. I could go on cause there is more, but I think you get the point. It's really, really getting to me.

I love this board, and talking to fellow cruise fans, but it's getting to be not so pleasant anymore. And maybe it's me. Maybe I'm getting a know it all attitude that is coming across in my posts and I'm the one that's sounding snarky. I've read them over to see if I said anything offensive, but don't see it.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for letting me rant guys,

CG

I was going to actually start a new thread. Then I remembered this one. So I thought that I'd post this amongst other CC addicts.

I think I need a vacation from CC. I don't know if it's me and I have a short fuse, or other people, but I have been involved in more unpleasant conversations on this board in the last 2 days then I've been involved in total in the last 2 years.

It seems that every time I post, someone comes back and lights into me. Or answers with some snarky comment. I ask a question about a HC balcony size and I get accused of booking a HC room when I don't need one. I answer a question about non potty trained kids not be allowed in pools and get a response that they don't care what I say, kids are allowed. Someone else posts something to me that totally confuses me as to what they are saying and when I ask them what they mean, they come back with some snarky comment about my intelligence. I could go on cause there is more, but I think you get the point. It's really, really getting to me.

I love this board, and talking to fellow cruise fans, but it's getting to be not so pleasant anymore. And maybe it's me. Maybe I'm getting a know it all attitude that is coming across in my posts and I'm the one that's sounding snarky. I've read them over to see if I said anything offensive, but don't see it.

CG

It happens all the time. I read some posts and think,'Huh?' I've had a few altercations myself, also, and I'm often confused as to why. My favourite is when someone keeps at me and at me and at me and I keep replying and trying to set things straight and then they accuse me of 'not letting it drop'! ha ha ha ha ha Because I reply to nothing all the time!! :p About a year or so ago, there was a guy who seemed to 'follow' me from thread to thread and take any opportunity to antagonize me. It started on one thread where I said I didn't like it when people used derogatory terms or suggested that people were 'stupid' just because they had a different opinion, and he got quite upset with me. Then I'd get into a discussion on another thread and all of a sudden this guy would pop up and 'tell me off'. It was actually kind of amusing in a sad sort of way. I could also list more, but we're not here to talk about annoyances, we're here to talk about cruises... feeeeeeed the neeeeeed!!!!

I recommend sitting quietly somewhere and gently swaying every once in a while as if you're hitting a big swell... close your eyes if it works better!! Then just let all the bad feelings ebb away like the tide... :)

I think I need a vacation from CC.

I have felt that way, too, not because someone attacked me, but because of posts like I've read where someone was attacking you. Once in a while I'll jump in and try to make the peace between the two, but I think it's better to be silent. People who do that generally aren't affected by reason!

If I don't have a cruise in the near future, I DO take a break. Or I go to a different cruiseline's board where I think the participants will be more polite. Some times it works, too!

A thought has occurred to me while doing this: if people on another line's board are more polite and thoughtful, maybe I'd like cruising that line! And I learn stuff about that cruiseline, while I'm at it.

Hello! My name is Jennifer and I am a newly formed Cruise Addict.

Well, to be more precise, my FAMILY is now newly formed Cruise Addicts - it's just taken me 12 years to convince DH that he would LOVE it as much as I do.

We're just off the Jade, and while on we joined the "Cruise Rewards" program. When DH asked how long we have to book the cruise - (and was told 24 months to book, 30 to sail) - he said "oh! Really! We'll probably have done 3 in that time!"

A new addict is born!

DD (7) got home and promptly called all the grandparents and informed them that on our NEXT cruise, we are getting adjoining rooms so that she can "cabin hop" like her friend did.

Another addict is born!

DS (5) wants to know when he'll be able to go back to Kids Club, when the next chocolate buffet will be held, and why we don't have a waterslide that he can go down RIGHT NOW.

Another addict is biorn!

So - please make room for Burnham, party of 4, at the next meeting. We'll bring some iced tea and lemonade from the buffet. :D

Hi - My name is I'm-a-cruise-lover and I am also a cruise addict.

I realized just how bad it was last night when I was looking at booking another cruise, when I have 2 booked already. We go once a year, usually between Sept. - Nov., this one would be for 2011. My passport expires May of 2012. So I searched the passport site to see when I should renew and it states about 9 months before it expires since some countries don't let you travel there if your passport expires within 6 months. Well, I don't want it to expire, so according to them I would have to send for it in September 2011. That's too close to when I would book the cruise!!!

Now realistically I know that I can send it in January and probably get it back by February, but this was actually worrying me last night! Now that's PATHETIC!!!

Let us Pray-

God grant me the serenity that only a cruise brings

the patience to get through the rest of the year

and the wisdom to find the best deals so i can book more cruises!!

CT & Flash;

Thanks for the nice responses. I've decided that I will simply remove myself from "those" threads. On one that was particularly aggessive, I made a final post, stating that I would comment no longer and I intend to stick to that. I think that's the best way to handle it...simply remove myself from the situation.

The majortiy of people here on CC are wonderful. They are polite, respectful and great to correspond with. I've learned so much and hope I've helped some others along the way.

So, I've decided that I'm not going to let a couple a$$es chase me away. Sorry all, you're stuck with me. :)

Thanks again,

CG

CT & Flash;

Thanks for the nice responses. I've decided that I will simply remove myself from "those" threads. On one that was particularly aggessive, I made a final post, stating that I would comment no longer and I intend to stick to that. I think that's the best way to handle it...simply remove myself from the situation.

The majortiy of people here on CC are wonderful. They are polite, respectful and great to correspond with. I've learned so much and hope I've helped some others along the way.

So, I've decided that I'm not going to let a couple a$$es chase me away. Sorry all, you're stuck with me. :)

Thanks again,

CG

Well we like you here, so stick away!! ha ha ha :p

I think I just found the thread you were talking about... does it have something to do with some idiot taking one statement out of context from one of your posts and attacking you for it (while accusing you of 'putting your own spin' on someone else's post)? ha ha ha ha ha I'm sorry, I know how frustrating an idiot like that can be, but I gotta tell you, it was really entertaining reading his unbelievably self-oblivious posts!! I was going to reply to one and say, 'Hello Kettle? It's the Pot... You're BLACK!!' but I think it's over so I didn't want to stir it up again. What an unbelievable hypocrite!! (not to mention he was completely wrong about your post!!)

Anyway, back to 'good stuff'...

I just read your review of the Sky and I would love to ask you some questions! I'm so glad to hear that you had a good time - and our inside cabin is right around the corner from yours, so I loved seeing the pictures!! (that was one question down, too, since I was going to ask about the 'sitting area' in the descriptions)

So...

You said there was lobster one evening... was it also 'dress up or not'?

Is there any place like the Blue Lagoon on board, or is it just room service after the restaurants are closed?

Did you by any chance attend karaoke at all?

Thanks in advance!:)

CG

I have to say that I have not experienced that too much lately...last year at this time though...:eek:

When I did finally "excuse myself" from one particularly nasty thread...they just wouldn't let it go...and were rude and insulting, telling me how happy they were that I was leaving and nobody was going to miss me! :eek: And all this over a thread having to deal with bringing wine on board! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

It was disconserting to say the least..since one of the biggest "culprits" was someone who posts here alot and I guess fancies herself "queen" or so it seemed.

I just love when they look at your post numbers and then state that you are not entitled to your opinion because it your "first post", or you only have "10, 20, etc. posts" or that you are "new" and not a "regular".

I changed my profile name at one point....so my "numbers" are not really reflective of how often I post...you would think that others would realize that. Anyhow...............

I have felt that way, too, not because someone attacked me, but because of posts like I've read where someone was attacking you. Once in a while I'll jump in and try to make the peace between the two, but I think it's better to be silent. People who do that generally aren't affected by reason!

If I don't have a cruise in the near future, I DO take a break. Or I go to a different cruiseline's board where I think the participants will be more polite. Some times it works, too!

A thought has occurred to me while doing this: if people on another line's board are more polite and thoughtful, maybe I'd like cruising that line! And I learn stuff about that cruiseline, while I'm at it.

Last year when we was getting ready to take our first NCL cruise, I came to the boards to find out about NCL and of course the whole "freestyle" concept, etc.

On some of the threads, the folks were so antagonistic, that I thought about changing my plans and not sailing on NCL...I was actually leery of cruising "with" some of those folks!:eek:

Fortunately, I found that most of the folks are good, fun, polite people and our first NCL cruise was just wonderful! :D

Well we like you here, so stick away!! ha ha ha :p

I think I just found the thread you were talking about... does it have something to do with some idiot taking one statement out of context from one of your posts and attacking you for it (while accusing you of 'putting your own spin' on someone else's post)? ha ha ha ha ha I'm sorry, I know how frustrating an idiot like that can be, but I gotta tell you, it was really entertaining reading his unbelievably self-oblivious posts!! I was going to reply to one and say, 'Hello Kettle? It's the Pot... You're BLACK!!' but I think it's over so I didn't want to stir it up again. What an unbelievable hypocrite!! (not to mention he was completely wrong about your post!!)

Yup that was one of them. And the one that was the most frustrating. I think however that my final post got my point across as the thread is slipping onto the back pages and he made no further comment. :-) Thank you though for the support as I was really starting to think I was truly dumb. I had no idea what the man was talking about! :)

Anyway, back to 'good stuff'...

I just read your review of the Sky and I would love to ask you some questions! I'm so glad to hear that you had a good time - and our inside cabin is right around the corner from yours, so I loved seeing the pictures!! (that was one question down, too, since I was going to ask about the 'sitting area' in the descriptions)

As I said in my review, I didn't find the inside rooms to be that small at all. We were on a HA ship years ago and I swear, the room was 1/2 that size...and it was an OV. Someone posted on my review however and said they thought that the room was very small, so maybe I'm wrong. I've never stayed in an inside before, and maybe this one is small compared to others on modern ships. All I know is that hubby and I were very comfortable in this room.

There was decent walking room on both sides of the bed. The bathroom was pleasantly large in my opinion, even the shower. I've heard about those "wars" people have with shower curtains :) and that wasn't the case in this bathroom. Regarding the sitting area, when you walk in the door of the cabin, obviously you are in a narrow "hallway" of sorts with the closet being on your left, and the bathroom on your right. The bed of course is straight ahead up against the far wall. As you walk a little further into the room, it widens out and your desk is on the left and your couch on your right. So there's some decent floor space there in the middle and you can sit on the couch to watch TV.

The only issue that we had with size was if someone was getting something out of the closet when someone else was trying to get into the bathroom. Both doors swing out and would meet in that small hallway, so you did have to time that right.

So...

You said there was lobster one evening... was it also 'dress up or not'?

Yes it was....on Saturday night.

Is there any place like the Blue Lagoon on board, or is it just room service after the restaurants are closed?

Yes there is. Have you been on the Sun? The Sun is exactly like the Sky. Neither of them have a Blue Lagoon perse like the newer NCL ships. What they have is a sports bar located at the back of the ship that is their "Blue Lagoon". It's open 23 hours a day. On the Sky it's the Longboard Bar and it's located at the back of the ship on Deck 11 port side.

Did you by any chance attend karaoke at all?

We're huge Karaoke fans! Both DD's were musical theatre majors and the entire family is a bunch of hams. :) However, with this being a very short trip, and it only being me, hubby, father and MIL, we missed Karaoke on the Sky, so I can't help you there.

Thanks in advance!:)

You're most welcome!

CG

On some of the threads, the folks were so antagonistic, that I thought about changing my plans and not sailing on NCL...I was actually leery of cruising "with" some of those folks!:eek:

Fortunately, I found that most of the folks are good, fun, polite people and our first NCL cruise was just wonderful! :D

I think that is fairly common on all of the boards though. People are get really defensive and go on the attack if you dare say anything negative about "their" cruiseline. I don't quite understand that thought process if someone is being honest in their opinion/experience.

I think that it may be a little worse here because I think that NCL gets more of it's fair share of bashing. My opinion, for what it's worth as it's simply a guess, is that NCL is truly hated by those who prefer traditional cruising. They've never been on an NCL ship but take every opportunity to bash NCL simply because they are afraid that NCL has started something that they want no part of. I know that a lot of lines have some sort of freestyle dining now, and the traditionalist are really upset about it. And I really think they blame NCL for starting it in the first place.

I can also understand the frustration when you get the one hit wonders who do nothing but bash, and I myself have been guilty of taunting them. Anytime I read a post that is nothing but negative bashing, I just don't take them serious. And then of course, we get called cheerleaders...and it goes on and on and on. LOL

CG

Archived