A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

DBA

Why does HAL not post the magazine "Mariner" online just like the e-brochres are done? Besides, would it not decrease the cost of ?thousands of mailings?

Apparantly, many HAL mariners have not been consistently receiving their hard copies in the mail!

Up until the recent reconfiguration of that portion of the website, it always was up. Not sure if it was intentionally taken down for any reason, or if it was an ovrsight in the redesign. As for anyone that has not received it, nothing has ever stopped anyone from calling the Mariner Society and ensuring their correct and up to date information is in our systems...

For EITHER inquiry... I would recommend you do the following:

• www.hollandamerica.com
  • Top right corner, click "Contact Us"
  • Click the "Email Us" tab
  • Fill out your appropriate information and choose the option "Mariner Society/Alumni Program"

DBA

What are your feelings about the controversial ventriliquist on the Zaandam who told an "anti" gay joke? Was he on your cruise? Did you actually hear the joke ? Have your read the thread about this issue?

Thanks.

As I wasn't on the Zaandam this spring, I can't speak to a situation that occurred onboard, nor do I know the name of the performer that was on at that time.

Upon reviewing the separate thread that has been made about the topic, the person that started the thread "Apollo..." something or other later said that the entertainer on my 4 day, Keith Haddrill, "was not" the one that made whatever this "joke" might have been.

DBA,

Can you tell me if HAL has anything equivalent to RCI's Meet and Mingle? I know HAL used to organize the meet and greet(?) many years ago. In the last 10 years I have only cruised RCI and enjoy the meet and mingles. I am giving HAL another shot and cruising the Far East on the Volendam, at the end of this month. I see NO PLACE where our Roll Call Members can sign up for a meet and greet.

Look forward to your reply.

Marise

I believe this is typically done in a combination of the Roll Call threads on CC here and through the Onboard Event Services department at the HQ.

I would suggest that you make a new thread and maybe ask someone that cruises VERY regularly with HAL (maybe revneal, laffnvegas, etc) if they now the correct procedure.

Hi Dutch,

We understand that HAL is going to have a beverage card in 2010 that is not specifically a wine card, soda card, coffee card or cocktail card. The thing is that no one can find any reference to it on the web site. Can you tell us what beverages can be bought with the beverage card?

Thanks,

What is the difference between rooms marked as V: A or B or C...?

What is the meaning of the letters after the V?

Thank You

For the most part, just location. The closer the second letter is to A, with the exception of "V" and "VQ" on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, the higher the category is.

Check the symbols though as some will be triples, quads, shower only, solid verandah, etc...

Hi Dutch,

We understand that HAL is going to have a beverage card in 2010 that is not specifically a wine card, soda card, coffee card or cocktail card. The thing is that no one can find any reference to it on the web site. Can you tell us what beverages can be bought with the beverage card?

Thanks,

Information of this kind has yet to be released. Not only do I not have the information you're looking for at this time, but if I did, I wouldn't be able to share.

If you have questions about gift orders though, I would say give Ship Services a call and they will likely be able to assist as best they can

For the most part, just location. The closer the second letter is to A, with the exception of "V" and "VQ" on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, the higher the category is.
Also VT is higher than VF and VH on the Eurodam. I would be very mad to find out that I was "upgraded" to a VT with a Juliette balcony, so if we ever go on the Eurodam again I will be sure book at least a VE guarantee. On the N.A. this is not as much of a problem, as apparently the VT micro-balconies will be replaced by VQ-sized balconies.

Also VT is higher than VF and VH on the Eurodam. I would be very mad to find out that I was "upgraded" to a VT with a Juliette balcony, so if we ever go on the Eurodam again I will be sure book at least a VE guarantee. On the N.A. this is not as much of a problem, as apparently the VT micro-balconies will be replaced by VQ-sized balconies.

Thanks for pointing out VT in my alphabetical reference.

As for the rooms themselves... VH and VF (except for a couple on deck 5 with shallower balconies) are all solid steel. So if you think about it, you go from an undesireable (for many folks) in the solid steel to clearview, but the lowest level of clear view is a balcony that is basically standing room only... They then go up from there.

It makes sense... and I know people that have gone and loved them... Everyone has their own taste, and with the info I've given in this thread... as long as you book a VE or higher there is physically no way you can get one if it's a huge concern... and if you book lower and that's a huge concern, take a specific room and request "no upgrade". Simple as that

Hi DBA! Thought I'd take you up on your offer of information! We are going to be on the Noordam in December. We've been on the Westerdam and Oosterdam and I thought they were all pretty much the same, however, now as I'm reading, it seems as though the Noordam does not have the library/computers in the Crow's Nest. Is that correct? If so, I'm curious as to the reasoning. My second question is, do you know if Noordam offers the bag of laundry for a set price? Seems like we could pay to have laundry done instead of paying to bring more bags on the plane! Thanks for all your help! It will be good to get out of Minnesota in December!

Do they have a sushi menu available on the December 21 day cruise on the ms Amsterdam through the Panama Canal. :confused:

Sorry, looks like I missed this on my last batch of answers.

I don't think there is necessarily a "sushi menu", however if the ship has what you are looking for, it should be no problem getting that taken care of for you. Just ask at the Front Desk if you could be put in touch with the Culinary Operations Manager or Executive Chef once onboard if there are dietary restrictions or anything of that nature.

Otherwise, there is always a selection of sushi (I can't name off which kinds specifically) for lunch each day on at least one side of the Lido Restaurant as well as soy sauce, ginger, wasabi and so forth.

Before the ships had the Thermal Spa' date=' there used to be saunas and steam rooms in the locker rooms off the lido pool area. Did they get removed in the renovations adding the Thermal Spa?[/quote']

Hi Y's-

As I started with the company in 2006, a fair amount of my knowledge with the current fleet is limited to post-SOE. This might be a better question for LONG time fans of HAL in the main forum.

Hi DBA! Thought I'd take you up on your offer of information! We are going to be on the Noordam in December. We've been on the Westerdam and Oosterdam and I thought they were all pretty much the same, however, now as I'm reading, it seems as though the Noordam does not have the library/computers in the Crow's Nest. Is that correct? If so, I'm curious as to the reasoning. My second question is, do you know if Noordam offers the bag of laundry for a set price? Seems like we could pay to have laundry done instead of paying to bring more bags on the plane! Thanks for all your help! It will be good to get out of Minnesota in December!

The Noordam was the first of the Vista Class ships set up with the Explorations Cafe concept... the other three sisters had separate coffee area (Windstar Cafe), library (Erasmus) and Internet Center. The move to the Crow's Nest area was done to have the Vistas fall in line with Eurodam's configuration which was deemed as a better use of the spaces involved. The Noordam has not had this move done, I would venture to guess, because as the ship currently has an Explorations Cafe, there is no reason to move it. (I suppose down the road quite a way it could happen, but not on a ship that is 3.5 yrs old ;)

We will be taking ms Amsterdam in December thru the Panama Canal and am curious as to where they restock fresh Produce, Fruit, Veggies, etc. for the ship when you are on a 21 day cruise. :)

Thank you ... Mike

Hi DHB

Love reading your blog

Can you please help - I have booked our excursions from the ship on line with HAL but cannot find anywhere to book the land portion excursions,we are going on Tour 28 Whitehorse,Dawson etc do we have to wait until we are on the tour for these

Any help much appreciated

We will be taking ms Amsterdam in December thru the Panama Canal and am curious as to where they restock fresh Produce, Fruit, Veggies, etc. for the ship when you are on a 21 day cruise. :)

Thank you ... Mike

They will likely load up a little fuller than usual at the port of departure and then find one of the larger ports at roughtly a midway point to do so again.

As for the specific ports, I don't have access to that info.

Hi DHB

Love reading your blog

Can you please help - I have booked our excursions from the ship on line with HAL but cannot find anywhere to book the land portion excursions,we are going on Tour 28 Whitehorse,Dawson etc do we have to wait until we are on the tour for these

Any help much appreciated

I would recommend contacting the shore excursions department as they MAY have a bit more info. Otherwise, as MOST excursions are available roughly 6 months ahead of time, it might just be too early for the land portion. The shore ex department, even if they aren't the correct folks, will likely have some more information to help you.

and tonight I'm going to add a piece from the HAL blog on my friend Stan Kuppens and more of his role with the newbuilds, as well as the latest pics from Nieuw Amsterdam (Her az

ipods are on and ready to go)

DBA - I went to you website and when I clicked on Maasdam I ended up on the youtube video of what must be Niew Amsterdam with cabaret stsyle theater.

My question is whether Maasdam is receiving any updates prior to 2011, such as new bedding and flat screen TV's? I am unclear if I am in an OV next August if it will be the old bedding. I was on Veendam before the upgrades and also Westerdam when they were in progress (2007 and no flat screen TV's). Where is Maasdam in the process as I understand I will need to rent a refrigerator in an OV.

I loved the Spa staterooms on Eurodam and was wondering when Maasdam will be getting the same as well as the Lanai OV's. Thanks.

Hi DBA, wondering if you could get an answer for me. I want to surprise my DH with the Suite Elite package for Christmas. I called ships services about the initial beverage set up to find out if wine could be substituted for the 2 bottles of liquor. My DH only drinks wine. No one could give me an answer. Also they did not know if any soda or water was in the initial set up. Also, do you get 2 coffee cards and 2 of all the other items listed if you purchase the double occupancy package for a 10 day cruise on the Noordam? Thanks for all the help you give everyone. You are very generous with your time and efforts.

Hi DBA, wondering if you could get a question answered for me. I want to surprise my DH with a Suite Elite Package. Could you find out what the initial beverage set up consists of and if additional wine could be substituted for the 2 bottles of liquor? Also, do you get 2 of all the services listed listed by purchasing a double occupancy package for a 10 day Noordam cruise? Thanks for any help. Guest services could not provide any answers.

Archived