Formal Wear on the Emerald Princess

jayslater

My wife and I are doing an August cruise out of Copenhagen for 10 nights. I understand there will be two formal nights. I was wondering what some experienced cruisers suggest I do. I was thinking of bringing a dark suit but am also entertaining the idea of renting a tuxedo.

Any thoughts and any experience with an onboard rental?

Thanks

Jay

I have my own tux, so have never rented.

My bro-in-law, average height and weiht, has rented a tux two or three times, and has been satisfied with fit, condition, etc.

A dark business suit is usually considered an acceptable alternative to a tux.

Our Aegean and Egypt cruise had a mix of tux and suits at about a 40/60 ratio.

If you have good measurements from a tux rental place or men's clothing store, then they can accomodate you, especially if you are "normal" sized. The times I used their service worked well. They also sell tux shirts, and tie/cummerbund onboard, but only up to a size 18 shirt.

If you are large bodied (read 2XL-3XL+), then you might want to consider bringing your own, as any errors in sizing may not be accomodated well.

Either will work - I take along a navy blue business suit with a white shirt and tie and IMHO I look great and my DW agrees.

I hope you realize you have opened up a BIG can of worms here - you will be getting all kinds of "It's OK" from a tux down to jeans and a polo shirt. Be prepared.

Princess has on their website an Answer Book that defines formal wear.

Ron

Either will work - I take along a navy blue business suit with a white shirt and tie and IMHO I look great and my DW agrees.

I hope you realize you have opened up a BIG can of worms here - you will be getting all kinds of "It's OK" from a tux down to jeans and a polo shirt. Be prepared.

Princess has on their website an Answer Book that defines formal wear.

Ron

You just can't help yourself..can you??;)

I think wearing a near suit would be enough. how many people have actually worn a tux to the formal dinners (please raise your hands)

I have never worn a tux. A dress usually does me.:D

On the other hand, my husband has worn both a dinner suit, white tux or kilt.

On our first cruise he moaned about getting a tux but now he feels good getting dressed up.

I have never worn a tux. A dress usually does me.:D

On the other hand, my husband has worn both a dinner suit, white tux or kilt.

On our first cruise he moaned about getting a tux but now he feels good getting dressed up.

I agree, but, what does he wear under the kilts?? This is something everyone wants to know.

\

Ron

My husband and I did the 19 day Panama Canal on Coral. There were 3 formal nites...My husband rented his tux. He is a 2x tall, and has a 36 inch sleeve length. His rental came with 2 shirts and all the trimings. Since we had such a long cruise we decided that having a tux delivered to the ship was easier. It also eliminated the haul back on the plane from FLL to the west coast. Tux was in our cabin upon arrival. Fit fine and looked great. Was told that ships carry a limited amount of tuxes for emergencies and alterations/adjustments can often be done on board.

I think wearing a near suit would be enough. how many people have actually worn a tux to the formal dinners (please raise your hands)

(raising hand)

Leo did the tux rental last cruise (didn't want to have to take formal wear on the long flights to Venice and from Manaus) and it was fine. One caution: if you order the optional vest it isn't a full vest--just the front with adjustable straps in the back. Didn't look right at all and wasn't worth the extra $10.

I agree, but, what does he wear under the kilts?? This is something everyone wants to know.

\

Ron

There is a standard answer to this question.

"nothing is worn under the kilt. It is all in good working order.":D

Archived