First time Celebrity -- How's the experience compared to others?

DAL745

We're two gay guys, early 30's traveling with a *small* group of friends. Booked for the first time on Celebrity. In the past we have always cruised RCCL or Princess and have loved them. Got a good deal on Celebrity and the ports were different then anything we had done before so went for it. Just wondering what the experience will be like (atmosphere, demographic, even the dress at night -- I've heard they get very formal, not even jeans on deck at night??). I realize it won't have the high energy that RCCL tends to have.... Anyone have any experience as a gay cruiser on Celebrity?? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Navigator of the Seas (3), Caribbean Princess (2) Mariner of the Seas (2) Freedom of the Seas (1) Radiance of the Seas (1)

I am a huge Celebrity fan! The demographic is about the same as Holland America and probably Princess, though I haven't experienced Princess myself. I consider it an upscale atmosphere at a middle of the road price. My wife and I have never had any problems on Celebrity as a lesbian couple.

As for formality, it's the usual rule: for formal nights, if you don't want to dress up, plan to eat on the Lido. You might feel a little out of place in the public areas, specifically anywhere formal pictures are being taken. If you want to dress up though, you will find yourself in good company, I would say at least 60-70% of people dress up.

Dining service is always excellent, our stewards have always been superb. We were quite tickled when the girl who had our cabin on Zenith ended up having cabins just down the hall from us on Summit! I love the food, too - I am a vegetarian, so I can't say anything about the steak or lobster, but the food is so good!

I'm sure you'll love Celebrity. I sure do!

Thanks etoile! I appreciate the feedback. We're cruising out of San Juan for the southern Caribbean. Any suggestions on things to do/see or not miss in any of the ports? Typically we try to hit a local beach and then explore the local area on our own.

We're cruising out of San Juan for the southern Caribbean. Any suggestions on things to do/see or not miss in any of the ports? Typically we try to hit a local beach and then explore the local area on our own.

Hi, you didn't mention what your ports of call are, but if you're in San Juan for any length of time, you should try to stop by a restaurant called Parrot Club. It's on the Calle Fortaleza (Fortaleza Street) (Fortaleza means "dragonfly"), and it's just a very nice and friendly place with a long bar up front and tables in the back, and courtyard seating out the back.

We'd found it once when we vacationed in San Juan for a week; when our last cruise called in San Juan we ended the day there for lunch/drinks; if we have our way next time, we'll skip the Fort and the usual tourist attractions and just park ourselves at the cafe for food and drink! :)

It's located in Old San Juan, which is beautiful anyway. For a nice dinner, try "Dragonfly" (restaurant) which is almost across the street from the Parrot Club. Higher-end, very nicely done in terms of food and atmosphere, and had good live jazz playing in background. (I think they only open for dinner.)

Frommer's has some links/info about each of them --

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sanjuan/D40488.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sanjuan/D50438.html

The other San Juan suggestion I'd have is not to miss the Cemetery by the Beach... Sounds a little morbid, but it's full of beautiful statues and unique elaborate carvings and was actually very peaceful (and enjoyable) walking leisurely around. (The pathways that meander through it are all stone, so don't think a grassy field with tombstones...) I have some pictures of it if you wanted to get an idea...

Enjoy your trip!

John

Just got off Solstice (today) and are regular RCL guys. We had a great time, would estimate there were over 100 gay guys onboard and we had a great time. The shows aren't quite as big but that's the only complaint. The crowd is a few years older but there were practically no kids so it's a nice trade-off.

• 2 weeks later...

I've sailed Celebrity 6 times...a couple times in the Caribbean, a western Transatlantic, a Northwestern and a Baja Mexico. Then, just this past December, was on the Solstice. Let's say this...everytime I start looking for a new cruise, this line is my "Go-to." I love it.

The ships are beautiful, the service is excellent, and the people that we have met on every Celebrity cruise have been warm, friendly, and very fun.

I've never experience any awkward moments being gay on Celebrity. Everyone is very accommodating. I typically go to the first FOD meeting and mingle with people; however, most cruises, we've hung out with a mix crowd and had a great time.

The M-class ships (Connie, Infinity, Millie, and Summit) are one of my favorite. They have an indoor T-Pool that is beautiful and the Spa and Persian Garden is worth a visit. They do not have a disco, so if you are looking for a ship where at night people really party it up, you might be a little let down. I actually prefer the atmosphere on this ship; I'm in my early 30's and enjoy have drinks at the Martini Bar in the evening with a group of people. Don't get me wrong...there is plenty of live music in a variety of venues each night. But, the atmosphere is more laid back and refined.

Alternatively, the Solstice has everything covered. This is the first Celebrity Ship where there is a dedicated Disco (Quasar's) that you can really let-go. This past December, I think there was a group of 8 of us LGBT's that were there every night. Passengers came in and danced with us and it was fun, as well.

I can't say enough about Celebrity. I've also sailed on Cunard, HAL, Princess, RCCL, and NCL and would sail all of them again, EXCEPT NCL. It just wasn't for me.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

I can't say enough about Celebrity. I've also sailed on Cunard, HAL, Princess, RCCL, and NCL and would sail all of them again, EXCEPT NCL. It just wasn't for me.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

I agree with most of what you said. We would sail any of those but HAL, which was just a little too sedate for us. The average age seemed to be dead less a month.

I've always enjoyed Celebrity and I think it attracts a lot of family onboard. Any time I have travelled with them there seems to be large numbers who go to the FOD get togethers. While the activity levels on the ships tend to slow down late at night I have always found that there is plenty to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a 5 night cruise on Century and was pleased. Not quite as polished as HAL but the demographics were a much better mix than HAL.

FOD was on the schedule at 7:45 pm each night in the Martini Bar..... which is between the dinner seatings (and close to show times) in the most popular and smallest bar on the ship. While it was nice to be in the hot spot, it was also tricky to make room for everyone.... and I think some potential joiners may have been scared off by the crowd.

Gaydar still works!!

My partner and I have sailed Celebrity a number of times and have adopted it as our 'line of choice'. We've never had a problem with the crowd except for one pompous couple at our table. But that had nothing to do with them-straight/us-gay. They were simply know-it-alls who knew everything.

We're getting ready to sail in May with straight friends we met on previous cruises and another gay couple. Our best experiences were:

A. The mechanic and his wife from the south side of Chicago. They were a hoot! They were fascinated by the Friends of Dorothy parties and asked if they could visit one. We told them he could be our honorary Toto. Unfortunately, FOD's on that cruise were awful, no attendance.

B. A cruise we did 2 years ago. We met a very large group of Cruise Critics who was absolutely wonderful. The FOD party (also a large group) was next to us in the Martini bar. But the straight couples were so much fun, we had no time to join the FODers. But we did get to socialize with them around the ship.

Celebrity is great. Lots of FOD partys, very accommodating. The staff has always been wonderful.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Hey there, Greetings from a fellow cruiser. I just wanted to tell you that your comment about the folks on HAL, "The average age seemed to be dead less a month," was not only spot on, but made me laugh. In fact, I laughed about it a few times. Thanks! Ron

Archived