Holiday in Mobile

bike1964

Any locals down there in Mobile have any info about the propulsion problems that the Holiday had been experiencing? I saw an article on your local news channel. Apparently, this problem has been going on for a few weeks. They have been missing ports and shortening port times because if it. We are sailing on Monday, 2/9 and are leaving to drive down to Mobile tomorrow. I hope the problem is fixed, because this is preexisting condition and they should be calling the people booked on the next cruise to inform them of the problem.

Any locals down there in Mobile have any info about the propulsion problems that the Holiday had been experiencing? I saw an article on your local news channel. Apparently, this problem has been going on for a few weeks. They have been missing ports and shortening port times because if it. We are sailing on Monday, 2/9 and are leaving to drive down to Mobile tomorrow. I hope the problem is fixed, because this is preexisting condition and they should be calling the people booked on the next cruise to inform them of the problem.

The article in our paper said that technicians went out on the current cruise and would be attempting the fix it. Hopefully it will work. The ship didn't get in until after I went to lunch on the last cruise and was still there when I went home that day.

Thanks for all the replies. We are now back in cold St Louis and we had a great time. We didn't arrive in Coz. until 12:00 pm due to "wind conditions":rolleyes:

but we stayed in Coz until 11:00 pm:D The weather was beautiful and it never rained. We got back to Mobile a little late (8:00 am) but we were still off the ship by 9:45. (self assist)

Evidently, they are still having propulsion issues since the cruise after us (2/14) was supposed to go to Progresso and Coz, and they were switched to Coz and Calica just as we did.:confused:

No worries. Ship is nice, service is great, and the food was good as well. I had chocolate melting cake every night for dessert:) Anyone have questions, I will be glad to answer. This was our 5th and final sailing of the Holiday.

Calica is very nice. It's only about a 10 minute cab ride to Playa Del Carman. We chose to go to Akumal Beach. It's about a 25 minute cab ride, but it's a gorgeous beach. There are a lot of options @ the Calica port although there is really nothing to do @ the actual port, except a little shopping. (vendors have set up tents) You can go to X-Car-et or Xel-Ha. Those are both great options and if your're traveling kids, they would love it. Have a safe trip.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!!! I am sailing in April.. do think these problems will be fixed by then?!?! lol.. hopefully!...Also...in Calica.. is it worth going to Tulum.. we want to see some of the mayan ruins...but we dont know much....ive been to coz. and went to chankannab..but this time, we are going to Paradise Beach.....

thanks! :)

Hi there!!! I am sailing in April.. do think these problems will be fixed by then?!?! lol.. hopefully!...Also...in Calica.. is it worth going to Tulum.. we want to see some of the mayan ruins...but we dont know much....ive been to coz. and went to chankannab..but this time, we are going to Paradise Beach.....

thanks! :)

Hi Jes, yes the problems had been fixed for our sailing on Feb. 23-28. We left & docked on time to & from all ports!!

• 5 weeks later...

My wife and I cruised on the Holiday on 28 March. Due to a minor propulsion problem, we were about 45 minutes late leaving (in addition to an hour late due to the ship arriving to Mobile in bad weather). All was well during our five day cruise. I did notice a significant vibration on the last sea day that lasted about ten minutes. There may still be a balance problem with one of the screws or shafts. However, all seemed well after that. The Holiday does show evidence of new paint and new carpet in some areas including some of the cabins. Actually, she looked quite a bit cleaner overall than when we cruised on her last year and the year before.

Captain Ronn

Just a heads up for those parking in the deck at the port. The credit card machine continues to be out of service; so have cash ready. Other than that, no complaints.

Captain Ronn

hey!! thanks for the headsup!! We were bringing cash anyway for parking....

Thanks for the review about the paint, etc!! Glad you had fun!! Did you atleast leave some food and beer for us?? haha

Archived