Serenade or Adventure with a teenager

newlu

Hi,

Have never left from San Juan always from Florida. My son will be almost 14 next January when we want to cruise out of San Juan to see all those beautiful islands! I would prefer to try the Serenade than the Adventure, probably because we have done the Navigator, Mariner, Freedom and Liberty, and that the Adventure must be showing its age. Any recommendations? He does not do the rockclimbing, he skates all winter here in Canada, for him, its the activities, sports, video game room and nice place to hang out.

Thanks for any input.

newlu

Hi,

Have never left from San Juan always from Florida. My son will be almost 14 next January when we want to cruise out of San Juan to see all those beautiful islands! I would prefer to try the Serenade than the Adventure, probably because we have done the Navigator, Mariner, Freedom and Liberty, and that the Adventure must be showing its age. Any recommendations? He does not do the rockclimbing, he skates all winter here in Canada, for him, its the activities, sports, video game room and nice place to hang out.

Thanks for any input.

newlu

The teen facilities on the voyager & freedom class ships are pretty much the same. The arcade, sports facilities are all very close to each other as you know from the ships you've been on. For the Serenade its pretty similar. All the ships have rooms just for teens to hang out, normally a TV is on showing music videos and such. There are teen only sports events that are held throughout the cruise. Check the teen compasses as they won't be listed on the adult compasses sometimes. Typically, always get a copy of the teen compasses so you know what's being offered. Most of the day there are not lead events from the teen staff, depending if you're at port or at sea, but the evenings are always more active with events going up to 1am (check the ship's curfew!) If the teens are with a teen staff then they can be there past the curfew, but after the curfew they can't be alone. Some of the activities is Rock Band, Wii, Unplugged where they bring out electric drum sets & guitars (if the ship has it), and they rock out with other teens, teen pool parties (late night), teen karaoke, dinner at the Windjammer (select nights). Again, check the teen compass for each so you know what's being offered. Ask your lovely cabin attendant for them to be delivered, and they are located at guest relations on the display shelf thingies.

You can also contact the teen staff too :)

Hello!

I was on the Jewel ( Serenades sister) a few years back and wow. After our cruise on the mega-sized Adventure of the Seas, the Jewel seemed like a completly different cruise line.

The Atrium on the Serenade will be quite small compared to the massive Royal Promanade , and over-all, the entire ship feels wayy smaller.

My daughter said the teen program was the same as the Adventure.

I for one, thought the elevators facing the ocean were very cool, and thats one of the things only found on the radience class.

You might enjoy the very different Serenade. Compared to the Freedom and Voyager class, shes a very different style ship.

We have done the Adventure and the Voyager with two teenage sons. They had an awesome time on both. The one advantage the Serenade has is it is port intensive, so there will constantly be something to do. Since both boys are off at college, we are taking our first cruise alone on the Serenade in two weeks. The reason we picked the Serenade was because we will be so busy we won't has a chance to miss them!:rolleyes: But I am sure they would love being on a different island almost every day!

Hi,

Thanks for any input.

newlu

If he likes to skate I would pick the Adventure with the ice skating rink and inline track. I'm sure it's not showing its age, its not that old of a ship. The basketball court is full court also. On the Serenade it's only half court.

Hi,

Thanks for any input.

newlu

Note that Adventure of the Seas will go into dry dock 26APR - 06MAY 2009.

Serenade is a beautiful ship but I think that a teen would be bored on it with the smaller pool, half-court basketball, smaller rock wall, Pool-slide really for small children. On our Jan 17-24 sailing there were very few teens and very few young families.

While the two of you would appreciate the Serenade I'm not sure your teen will. I'd choose the Adventure and remember to add two days on either end of the cruise to explore Old San Juan (many regret that they didn't).

Serenade is a beautiful ship but I think that a teen would be bored on it with the smaller pool, half-court basketball, smaller rock wall, Pool-slide really for small children. On our Jan 17-24 sailing there were very few teens and very few young families.

While the two of you would appreciate the Serenade I'm not sure your teen will. I'd choose the Adventure and remember to add two days on either end of the cruise to explore Old San Juan (many regret that they didn't).

I agree with this post. The Adventure will hold more excitement for teens. There will probably be more teens his age on the Adventure, over the Serenade. If he wants to have people to hang out with, there is probably a better chance on the Adventure. The Serenade seems to have more older couples who are trying to avoid the large families that sail on the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

IMHO the Voyager class ship has better teen facilities and way more that would interest your son. Radiance class ships are more elegant and adult oriented. One thing that is a plus is the pool tables on Radiance class.

Hi,

Thanks for any input.

newlu

Here's some news on the future of AOS & Serenade:

Royal Caribbean dropped a bombshell last week when it announced Adventure of the Seas would be leaving San Juan, where the ship has been based year-round since it debuted in 2001, to sail a season of cruises from Spain's Malaga. Well, here comes another one: The line has now confirmed that the ship will be leaving its longtime homeport of San Juan -- for good. According to cruise line spokesperson Harrison Liu, Adventure of the Seas will not return to San Juan after it leaves the Caribbean port in May 2010 for a series of European sailings through November 2010. Liu could not confirm where the ship will head for winter 2010-2011.

So which ship, if any, will replace Adventure of the Seas in San Juan? A source at Continental Shipping, Inc. -- Royal Caribbean's port agent in San Juan -- tells us that the smaller (90,090-ton, 2,100-passenger) Serenade of the Seas will replace its larger (137,308-ton, 3,114-passenger) Voyager-class fleetmate in San Juan year-round. However, Liu can only confirm that Serenade of the Seas will sail Southern Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan between November 2009 and April 2010 as scheduled.

full story: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3049

Archived