Snorkling Excursions

coolcruisier

We just came off Independence of the Seas yesterday. We had a great snorkeling trip in Belize. We did the eco tours shark ray by air. The name sounds like you are going to play with the rays like in Grand Cayman but this is much more. We flew over to Ambergris Caye and went first to the Marine Park (on the reef). This is where we saw the most marine life we have ever seen in all our years of cruising and going to islands. It was truly amazing. There was not just a few amazing fish but thousands of big colorful fish, eels, rays, coral, and more. They took underwater photos if you don’t take your own underwater camera. Next we were taken to where the rays come and get feed. This was similar to the GC experience but not quite as good due to the deeper water. But the first stop was worth the price of this trip!!!! We then went and had a great lunch at the Tackle Box restaurant on the water taxi pier. Great Margaritas.

We were taken to the air strip and pick up when we returned and taken back to the peir. Great trip. If you have any questions - I will try to answer.

We just came off Independence of the Seas yesterday. We had a great snorkeling trip in Belize. We did the eco tours shark ray by air. The name sounds like you are going to play with the rays like in Grand Cayman but this is much more. We flew over to Ambergris Caye and went first to the Marine Park (on the reef). This is where we saw the most marine life we have ever seen in all our years of cruising and going to islands. It was truly amazing. There was not just a few amazing fish but thousands of big colorful fish, eels, rays, coral, and more. They took underwater photos if you don’t take your own underwater camera. Next we were taken to where the rays come and get feed. This was similar to the GC experience but not quite as good due to the deeper water. But the first stop was worth the price of this trip!!!! We then went and had a great lunch at the Tackle Box restaurant on the water taxi pier. Great Margaritas.

We were taken to the air strip and pick up when we returned and taken back to the peir. Great trip. If you have any questions - I will try to answer.

Where did you book this trip? Cruise ship or on your own?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review Kimq! We are doing this trip with Eco Tours in about 2 weeks so I'm glad to hear it's a good one. I'm really excited now!

Can you give me an idea of what the restaurant serves for lunch and if there is anything nearby to walk around and see after you eat?

Thanks!

Thanks for the review Kimq! We are doing this trip with Eco Tours in about 2 weeks so I'm glad to hear it's a good one. I'm really excited now!

Can you give me an idea of what the restaurant serves for lunch and if there is anything nearby to walk around and see after you eat?

Thanks!

The guys had fish tacos and I and my SIL had seafood quesadillas. They were wonderful and quite rich, if you are not very hungry you could easily share with someone. You have a choice of grilled or fried fish for the tacos and the quesadillas had lobster in them (yum). The restaurant does not open for lunch till 12 (but we did enjoy our margaritas while we waited;)). You could walk around a bit before lunch if you want. If our ship left any later we would have rented a golf cart and seen more but we just walked around the small downtown area where there were the typical souvenir shops. Our last tender was at 4 so we took the 2:30 flight back to Belize City and had plenty of time.

Did you get to fly over the Blue Hole?? Were you at all concerned with the pilot and his flying experience?

Thanks

We did not fly over the Blue Hole it is much farther south. We were able to see many islands/cayes and see the reef very clear. Our pilot seemed very competent. This is not like riding in a major airliner because they must use the winds with their approach and he did a great job on all our landings. We took off and landed several times with the same pilot and we never felt uncomfortable.

I looked at their web site and it does not talk about 2 stops. Just lists the shark ray stop. Did you have to ask for another stop? And was it just your group on the boat or others along? Our ship arrives at 8 which I believe is 7 for them. They say they we need to be there at 745. Was your arrival time the same and if so did you have any issues getting to the dock or tendering in on time? Thanks Kay

We told them they should change what the website says about the shark ray site looking like the only stop. The other is the preserve where you must pay a fee which is less than 10 bucks as I remember. It is out on the reef and you would never know it was a preserve except for the tie off floats and the boat collecting the fees and checking to make sure you are with a registered guide.

We were the only ones in our group but I noticed they had larger boats so if a bunch of people signed up you might end up with others. I can’t say for sure but Marvin is good about answering questions if you email them.

He just told us to make it by tender over as soon as we could and we did not feel rushed. When we arrived he called the airport and made our reservation for the next flight over to San Pedro and he also made reservation for our return flight with plenty of time to catch the tender back to the ship.

Archived