Phones and service

Thinking about our cell phones (I have an Ipod) DH has a blackberry global.. I had heard that Ipods can incurr incredible costs if you use them to call/email, etc. I also have "skype" ...any suggestions on how to "occasionally" get in touch with home or so they can reach us?

Thanks

Tory

Thinking about our cell phones (I have an Ipod) DH has a blackberry global.. I had heard that Ipods can incurr incredible costs if you use them to call/email, etc. I also have "skype" ...any suggestions on how to "occasionally" get in touch with home or so they can reach us?

Thanks

Tory

There was a story in the travel section of our local paper last year that talked about Roaming Abroad. There were several websites listed for additional information: www.telestial.com, www.mobalrental.com, www.brightroam.com, www.travelcomm.us, and www.cellularabroad.com.

We will be looking at purchasing a phone and international calling plan before we leave home for our cruise in June.

Do you mean an iPhone? iPods don't make calls. International data downloads for the iPhone can be very high. AT&T has a webpage that talks about how to reduce your charges with the iPhone when traveling internationally, basically, turn off push for email services and turn off Data Roaming and put the phone in airplane mode when you don't want to use it. We both have iPhones but only plan on using the phone features for the most part in Europe and only occasionally will we use data, mostly at our hotels that do have wireless internet available to us.

Do you mean an iPhone? iPods don't make calls. International data downloads for the iPhone can be very high. AT&T has a webpage that talks about how to reduce your charges with the iPhone when traveling internationally, basically, turn off push for email services and turn off Data Roaming and put the phone in airplane mode when you don't want to use it. We both have iPhones but only plan on using the phone features for the most part in Europe and only occasionally will we use data, mostly at our hotels that do have wireless internet available to us.

Oops.. I meant iphone... don't know what I was thinking... I am thinking of one of the terrestrial phones.. seems it might be a little less expensive to call..Iwill, however miss all the "gadgets" of my iphone.. but if you can't use them without roaming charges and you have to merely turn it into a plain cell phone, it might be cheaper to just use one made for international calling.

Thanks

Tory

Thanks

Tory

Don't know if you just want to text and call or if you want email, etc. If you want to just occasionally keep in touch, I suggest bringing an unlocked cell phone and buying a local SIM card. That's what I did last November. So much cheaper to call and text home.

Thanks

Tory

Last August I traveled to Germany, and before I left I purchased a phone with service from AT&T, it is expensive per minute but if you watch yourself and don't talk for 30min at a time it may be worth it to you. It was to me, I think for the 2 weeks my cell phone bill was about $350. But I talked with my DH every day and he was able to reach me in case of an emergency.

Archived