Snorkel gear question, newbee here

jewelshouse

I realize there have been alot of questions asked so i apologize if this has been asked and answered already but here goes . .

we are going on our first cruise in March to Freeport and Nassau Bahamas. We really want to try snorkeling and wondering what gear to bring or purchase. I was wondering if the water would be cold and we should look into getting wetsuits and also wondering if they give some type of floatation device for resting or if we should bring our own.

Can you tell I'm a planner and have to know all details in advance. . . drives my husband nuts!

Anyway, any other info you could give me would be much appreciated. thanks so much

If you're going on a snorkeling tour they almost always provide all needed equipment. Some provide new snorkels, others use the same ones over and over and dunk them in a disinfecting solution between uses.

I'd recommend getting your own snorkels or using some kind of a disinfecting wipe on their snorkels and masks.

Every snorkel boat I've been on has provided floataion vests. Places that rent snorkel equipment should have them as well.

If you're booking a snorkel trip, just use the equipment they provide. That'll give you some frame of reference about what you liked and disliked when you do decide to buy something. I've been to the Bahamas in March and didn't need a wetsuit, but I'm not real sensitive to the cold, but again, I wouldn't buy one unless you're going to use it a lot. It's just not worth the hassle or packing it, drying it out, etc.

Archived