Sergeants cay or Goffs Cay

Guest LADY TORTOLA

Guest LADY TORTOLA

We are going to Belize in March and we are trying to decide between a couple snorkel excursions. We have never snorkeled in Belize before and are very excited since we hear this is the place to do it!! Can anyone lend some insight on which excursion to take that would be the best snorkelling either Sergeants cay or Goffs Cay?? Or if you have another idea that would be great - we were told that going to Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye is not doable with our timeline in Belize.

Thanks!!

Goff's wasn't very good when we were there a couple of weeks ago. I could tell there was a lot of life and coral, but visibility was about 12 feet (which is horrible).

I wouldn't go back.

Mike

How did you get there? Was the beach area nice? I understand it took quite a hit from a fairly recent hurricane and that there's not much there now. If the viz is bad, it would be nice to be able to just hang on a nice, "remote" beach.''

Thanks!

Goff's wasn't very good when we were there a couple of weeks ago. I could tell there was a lot of life and coral, but visibility was about 12 feet (which is horrible).

I wouldn't go back.

Mike

Must be luck of the draw. We were just there Dec 30th. The snorkeling and water clarity were great.

I suspect there may have been a storm the day before. The sand was really kicked up.

Luck of the draw.

I did see lots of fish and healthy coral but I had to dive down to see it well.

A bit spooky especially with a 4 foot Barracuda shadowing my wife and I for about 5 minutes.

My wife spotted it first and said "Did you see the shark"? Her mis-identification was even scarier.

I'd recommend Goff's Caye then. It seems visibility is usually better.

Mike

I suspect there may have been a storm the day before. The sand was really kicked up.

Luck of the draw.

I did see lots of fish and healthy coral but I had to dive down to see it well.

A bit spooky especially with a 4 foot Barracuda shadowing my wife and I for about 5 minutes.

My wife spotted it first and said "Did you see the shark"? Her mis-identification was even scarier.

I'd recommend Goff's Caye then. It seems visibility is usually better.

Mike

With the barrier reef exposed to the open Northern Caribbean and it's weather, water clarity may be hit or miss, but Belize is generally considered prime diving with excellent clarity. Sorry your swim didn't live up to the hype.

• 5 months later...
With the barrier reef exposed to the open Northern Caribbean and it's weather, water clarity may be hit or miss, but Belize is generally considered prime diving with excellent clarity. Sorry your swim didn't live up to the hype.

We did Goffs Caye in 2005 and the current was very stong one young man was inpaled on the corral it looked painful. Vis was awesome.

Archived