Driving to Miami. 95 or turnpike?

nc020594

On a Saturday morning you'll be fine just staying on I95. There is always the possibility of a wreck on either road.

Sure you may hit light traffic, maybe have to slow down a little, but it won't be for long and only in a few areas unless it's a huge accident.

There is no reason to take the turnpike from Port St Lucie to Miami on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Unless you like to waste money and go way out of the way.

JMO

On a Saturday morning you'll be fine just staying on I95. There is always the possibility of a wreck on either road.

Sure you may hit light traffic, maybe have to slow down a little, but it won't be for long and only in a few areas unless it's a huge accident.

There is no reason to take the turnpike from Port St Lucie to Miami on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Unless you like to waste money and go way out of the way.

JMO

I have used the pike hundreds of times, both for work during the week and on weekends for cruising. ALWAYS less time on the turnpike. I started using the pike because 95 was making me crazy[er]. And by recorded mileage from Ft Pierce to port of Miami, the pike is shorter in miles and much quicker in time.

Yes a major accident on either road is going to ruin the plan, but since 95 traffic is ALWAYS 24/7/365 heavier than the pike, the odds of a accident are higher. My only complaint about the pike was the toll plazas south of WPB. But with the toll transponders on my cars now, that hold up is gone.

Dan

According to AAA trip tik.

From Ft. Pierce to Port of Miami via turnpike

2 hours 5 min.

125 miles.

via I-95

2 hours 23 min.

136 miles.

Sat. morn, neither route SHOULD have heavy traffic. I-95 WILL be heavier, but not heavy.

Out of state drivers will have to stop and pay tolls 3 or 4 times south of West Palm Beach. [North of there the toll plazas are on the exit ramps like a civilized state.]:rolleyes:

A Florida driver with a transponder, the turnpike is the only way to go. [tolls aside] Out of state, the stop at the toll plazas will possibly negate the time advantage. And there is an extra cost for the pike.

Is that fair all around?

Dan

Weekend drive take 95. Week day its a toss up.

There is eifht miles of const. on the pike from south of sample rd to 595. lots of lane shifts.

95 has construction south of 45th st. for about four miles to just south of W. P. B. airport. Lots of lane shifts.

Whats amazing about these roads is once you get south of PGA Blvd. (north end of palm beach county) there is an just so much congestion on both roads.

We will be driving down to Miami in April (Pride 4/11/09) from NC. Can anyone share a preference of staying on 95 the entire way or picking up the turnpike just before Palm Beach Gardens? We have always flown down, but driving this time due to flight costs (Easter week). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris

I have done both, save the money and drive 95.

Archived