Cruising the Gem with a Baby

Donnasmommy

We are taking a cruise on the Norwegian Gem this month with our baby. She is 8 months old. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions...baby food tips, sleeping, gear, etc.

We won the trip and that is why we are going. We know it is not the ideal trip for an infant but it's free and we all need to get away!

The cruise leaves from New York and travels to the bahamas. It is a total of 8 days.

I am still breastfeeding...she doesn't get any formula...so I don't need to worry about formula or bottles. However, I am worried about prepareing babyfood. There is a fridge i room but not a microwave.

We are going on a cruise with our (will be 7 month) son. What I am planning to do is put the food in a bottle and heat it up in the bottle warmer I am bringing....does that help at all? If you are not bringing an electric one, you can buy one for like $7 at b r us that fits over the sink, and you can add hot water to warm bottles.....or baby food bottles...i will then just spoon the food out of the bottle straight to the little one.

We have travelled quite a bit with our now 7.5 month old DD (though our first family cruise is in September).

We have resolved the warming issue with an electric kettle in which we boil water and then use a baby food warming flask like this:

da217_main.jpg

As it's Fisher Price I'm sure you can get it almost everywhere in the world (I bought mine from the UK). We usually always have the electric kettle with us anyway (it's a very small one) so it's no extra baggage to us.

Ps. You might also want to consider a handpowered foodmill similar to this (great for making your own purees!):

da131_main.jpg

I don't know a thing about cruising with a baby, but... about the "free trip" part ...

It all depends where the free gift came from, but typically, the cruise fare is all that is included. Some times passengers end up having to pay the "government fees and taxes" part, which can be substantial, plus the NCL auto gratuity of $12 per day per person (over 3 years old).

I would check carefully about the fees and taxes part, so that you are aware of the real costs for this free vacation.

I hope that it truly is free and that you have a great cruise.

Archived