NCL -formal - nursing mom??

katondeck

I LOVE formal night. I know NCL is one of the least formal of the major cruise lines but with a 10 month old "freestyle" dining was too temping to pass up. My formals still fit but most are floor length and one piece. It sounds like they may be a bit much for NCL and they are not practical for feeding my DD as they ALL zip up the back.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a two piece formal/semi-formal for a 35 year old,size 6 or 8, nursing mom?

I don't think I want to go with a nursing dress/top because I am only planning to nurse her until she is 12 months. And unless there is a major opps I do not want to go through the pregnancy process again.

Thanks!

Your DD will be on table food by then, so no need to be breastfeeding at the dining room table. Wear the formals that you have (unless you absolutely want a new one) and feed your daughter in the privacy of your cabin, where you can take off whatever you are wearing. If you do purchase anything new, you could opt for a skirt/top combination to make changing a little easier. Don't think for a moment I'm being insensitive, I breastfed both of my two children for nearly two years each. I have just always felt it was a private, not a public time. Add the fact my kids were messy breastfeeders, I would never have been able to keep evening clothes clean.

I also breastfed my children well past 12 months, and I can assure you that this will not be a problem. A 10-month old will be nursing 2-3 times per day -- probably first thing in the morning, at naptime and at bedtime. I'd suggest plenty of Cheerios or crackers to keep her entertained during dinner.

I have every intention of going to my cabin to feed her - but I have a difficult time getting in and out of my formals with out my DH to unzip the back. His parents are coming with us, so I want to be able to go to the cabin, feed her and then go back to meet with my DH and ILs, instead of interupting thier night too. Maybe I will work on getting rid of the dinner time nursing, but right now she has teeth coming in and it is a comfort as well as a nutritional need.

I think I am going to play around with what I have and see what I can make work!

Thanks ladies!

Every baby is different, so don't expect yours to do what previous posters have suggested!

My daughter is older than 10 months, nurses quite a bit more than 2-3X per day, and is generally uninterested in solid food (no, her pediatrician is not at all worried).

For formal night, I have a one-piece dress out of stretch velour-type fabric (no zippers) that has an elastic low-cut neckline that could easily be pulled down for nursing. Those kinds of dresses are more likely to be found in the "juniors" sections of stores, even though the style is not inappropriate for a woman. I also have one of those poncho/shawl things that I can use as a cover-up. In the unlikely event that she decides she needs to nurse that night, no one will be able to tell she is doing anything other than resting in my lap.

Kat, try a Bridal Shop for nice 2 piece dresses.....they have been very popular for bridesmaids for the last several years. (and most of these don't look like BM dresses) If you have the time there is a large selection of colors and mix and match tops and skirts, if you have the time to order. We have both shorter style skirts and long....but longs can always be hemmed to any length you like. Ask about alterations....I include free alterations and so do a lot of others. Otherwise ask the bridal consultant to check with the company if they have hanging stock in the style, color and size you need. Aslo....most Bridal Shops mark their discontinued bridesmaids dresses way down to move them.....ask about these. Good luck!

JoAnn

Archived