Any snorkeling to right of pier?

powoct95

My husband and I went to grand turk last April, and went on a snorkeling excursion. But this time we are bringing the kids and were just wandering if there is any fish life at all to the right of the pier. We were on the Margaritaville side of the pier and enjoyed it very much, but can't remember many fish. Has anyone been to the right of the pier? Are you allowed to swim on that side? Yhanks for any info.

When you say to the right, are you talking about as you're leaving the ship, or as you're standing on the beach?

When I was there in 2006 there were very few fish anywhere you went around the pier. This was when the pier and cruise center was brand new. As with any artificial reef it takes time for the fish to find it and make it into their home. There might be a lot more fish there now.

Hi,

We were on Grand Turk 1/30/09. We snorkeled later in the day right at the beach in front of the cruise ships in the large area that is roped in. The water was already somewhat cloudy at 4PM and in the shade of the ships, but despite that, it was decent snorkeling - not great, but lots of fish to see, including the lion fish and sting ray. They have placed some "ballasts" type things in the water to attract fish and there are some rocky areas that the fish like also. This area is in the deeper water, but that salt water is very buoyant. Don't know what ages your kids are, but maybe you could rent vests if needed. It actually looked better in person than my pictures are showing. Before our trip, I found a lot of information on snorkeling by doing a search on this board. Use the Search function at the top of the page and enter "snorkeling". One example of a thread describing snorkeling is here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=826779

I know I remember reading a post about great snorkeling to the right of the pier as you are getting off the ship, but I can't find it now.

Keep in mind that most agree the best snorkeling is at the offshore reefs (top 10 spots in the world). But, with kids, I think you should be happy right at the beach at the Cruise Center. You will probably need water shoes or fins because the area where you enter the water is rocky.

You can find my post of our wonderful day on Grand Turk further down the page.

Hope this helps.

P1300126.jpg.0c2537b99a37b09389cc7caf621d9d7b.jpg

P1300132.jpg.202f0ea262b13cc5c6d84e1987e4d924.jpg

P1300118.jpg.9ba814b7bb007112f7c50b27d41c1b0d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the response. My kids are 12,10,9 so they can swim pretty well. I think your pics are great. That was exactly what I was hoping for. Were you closer to the pier or somewhat down the beach. I remember the chairs went to alittle ways down the beach, but then I think there was a sign saying that it was a private beach right next to the area they said was cruise beach. My kids wil love to see the sting ray. How was the condition of the beach since the hurricane? Thanks for all the info!

Archived