Mask fit

BIG_Steve

I used to snorkel a lot when I was a whole lot younger. Back then, I could never-ever find a mask that did not leak. My face is such that my cheekbones are not pronounced whatsoever. I also have a medium thickness mustache.

I just bought a new mask for snorkeling. I got a Sherwood Mako frameless mask: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SWDMMK.html If I look straight up, (not using strap) and breath lightly, it will pull in to my face, but leak slightly. However, if I give it an ever so gentle push against my face, (and let go) it seals, and stays sealed. I wore it with the strap for a few minutes. When I took it off, it was stuck to my face because of the vacum. Does that sound like a correct fit? It seems like it should be, still it doesn't truley pass the test. The store will take it back and keep exchanging it if necessary. Based on my memories, this mask seals better than any I had years ago. I live on the Gulf, but the water is too cold :eek: to go in. (Unless you're from Canada.) Can't test it in water for awhile.

With a mustache, that is probably the best fit you will get. You might try applying a little petroleum jelly to your mustache or shaving it back a bit around your nose - this should give a better fit.

The mask strap should not be so tight that the mask leaves a ring around your face. A mask that is too tight will leak.

You might also want to look for a mask with a purge valve (Tusa makes several) - so you can easily clear it with your face in the water.

With a mustache, that is probably the best fit you will get. You might try applying a little petroleum jelly to your mustache or shaving it back a bit around your nose - this should give a better fit.

No petroleum jelly to your mustache sould be useed on the new mask, over time it will degrade the silcone masks. Lip balm works. Shaving helps but not cure.

Bob

Archived