Crew not allowed passenger emails?

RLM77

Too much contact between staff and guests can cause problems. I work for a tour company and we have guests who go to the same property every year. We have employees who becomes friends with guests and e-mail them a lot of personal and company information. It can be very uncomfortable when a guest arrives and immediately starts grilling you "Is so and so still dating so and so?" "I heard so and so was fired for ..... what happened?" "Is so and so still sleeping with so and so?" It isn't always a good thing to have guests who know "too much."

What you decribe is called gossip. ;)

What you decribe is called gossip. ;)

Yes, we have had employees telling guests about employees getting reprimanded, fired, internal policies and other things that guests really don't need to know about. Some people don't know when to draw the line and what is not appropriate to tell a guest at an upscale property. Do you really want to sit in a bar and be served by a guy you know has been sleeping with 3 different housekeepers? Or have your meals served to you by waitresses you know hate each other because one stole the other ones boyfriend? Things like that are what cause management to make a drastic company wide policy. Personally, I'd rather not know. I'd rather be on vacation and sit there stupidly thinking everyone gets along and not have to think about the drama behind the scenes.

It can be very uncomfortable when a guest arrives and immediately starts grilling you "Is so and so still dating so and so?" "I heard so and so was fired for ..... what happened?" "Is so and so still sleeping with so and so?"

Do they have other themes,too?!

Family, something new on the ship.

Yes, we have had employees telling guests about employees getting reprimanded, fired, internal policies and other things that guests really don't need to know about. Some people don't know when to draw the line and what is not appropriate to tell a guest at an upscale property. Do you really want to sit in a bar and be served by a guy you know has been sleeping with 3 different housekeepers? Or have your meals served to you by waitresses you know hate each other because one stole the other ones boyfriend? Things like that are what cause management to make a drastic company wide policy. Personally, I'd rather not know. I'd rather be on vacation and sit there stupidly thinking everyone gets along and not have to think about the drama behind the scenes.

LOL...actually yes, the crew does tell me all that stuff. If I didn't want to know, I'm sure they would shut up. But face it, when you've talked to someone for hours and hours, cruise after cruise, people WILL confide in each other. And I've never broken a confidence, so the crew always trusted me. Like I said before, it's a shame, some of us respected the relationships, kept management in the dark regarding what we knew about the crew and it had it's fringe benefits - I was "warned" by crew many times about things that were going to occur on a cruise that no one else knew, i.e. we're having pod issues are going to arrive a full day late - no one else will be told until tomorrow night - go change your air reservations. I always liked 'being in the inside"....BOO MANAGEMENT:p

We had a housekeeper walk out one day when a guest walked up to her and said, "So and so said you might be pregnant by the breakfast cook, did you find out yet?" Not everyone seems to know when to keep things to themselves.

And not everyone has common sense about who they can/cannot trust. The crew I've always known doesn't start talking about such private matters until they've established a level of trust with you and feel they know you pretty well.

That meddling person sounds pretty pathetic and looking for attention. Again, common sense. Who does that?:confused: Shame, sounds like the HOUSEKEEPER should have watched who she confided in more. But in the "real world' we've all been burned by people and learn to wait before we disclose such confidences. There will always be people you can't trust.

Both are true - some people just have to be in the middle of everything and need everyone to know they are in the mddle. And the housekeeper should have kept her secret to herself. Although in her defense, our properties are sort of like being on a cruise ship in that they are fly in only (no roads) so everyone out there is "stuck" during their contract - no way to leave. And much smaller - about 25 employees so everyone ends up in everyone else's business pretty quickly. We get these situations a lot with peole telling other people's business and roommates having to be switched because people aren't speaking anymore. Drama! That's why I like to go on vacation and be kept in the dark!

Both are true - some people just have to be in the middle of everything and need everyone to know they are in the mddle. And the housekeeper should have kept her secret to herself. Although in her defense, our properties are sort of like being on a cruise ship in that they are fly in only (no roads) so everyone out there is "stuck" during their contract - no way to leave. And much smaller - about 25 employees so everyone ends up in everyone else's business pretty quickly. We get these situations a lot with peole telling other people's business and roommates having to be switched because people aren't speaking anymore. Drama! That's why I like to go on vacation and be kept in the dark!

Ah, I can see your point now Melissa. Kinda like wanted to enjoy that wonderful prime rib with knowing it came from a doe-eyed cow.

On ships, they of course, also bond deeply, but honestly, they all really get along and have amazing below deck parties, fall madly in love at least monthly, etc. I think it's because they are all from different countries and stick together. Americans are the worst. I've never known of a "feud" of any type on board. They tend to shrug stuff off.

And there have been times I feel I know "too much" and it spoils the magic.

So are RCCL and X the only lines who have this dumb rule now? Or are there others?

I always see passengers and some of the waiters exchange info on the last night at dinner (I do it sometimes too). I will have to see if it'll happen again in a few months.

So are RCCL and X the only lines who have this dumb rule now? Or are there others?

I always see passengers and some of the waiters exchange info on the last night at dinner (I do it sometimes too). I will have to see if it'll happen again in a few months.

I honestly don't know if other lines are following suit....but I would imagine (again, with the rapes on recent cruises) there is something similar in effect. As far as purely exchanging e-mails on the last night, what's the worst that can happen? They can't disembark you - you're already home.;)

I don't know if this policy exists on other cruise lines but, based on my experience, Celebrity and RCCL appear to be the only mass market cruise lines that have enough crew for each passenger to spend a substantial amount of time chatting with the people whom they are serving. On most other cruise lines, the waiters are too busy to engage in long conversations with passengers.

I've certainly never had anyone "cry poor mouth" to me...ever. Nor have I ever been made to feel like I had to leave a larger tip.

Well, that happened to me - just once - and it was exceptionally uncomfortable. On an RCI Med cruise in 2007, my cabin stewardess NEVER saw me without immediately launching into a mantra about how much she missed "... all my babies - I had to leave one that was still suckling at the teat...!!!"

On that particular sailing, I was a single in a cabin (DH elected to stay home while I sailed with other family members). No matter what I did or said it was very difficult to extricate myself from the conversation... I found myself avoiding my cabin and hallway :(.

That, however, was the one and only time I or anyone I know has had an issue.

We maintain email contact with personnel from many lines and have done so for many years. I enjoy sending photos that the staff can share with their family and friends, and hearing about how they're doing. It's quite lighthearted and cordial, nothing deeply personal, and very enjoyable.

Well, that happened to me - just once - and it was exceptionally uncomfortable. On an RCI Med cruise in 2007, my cabin stewardess NEVER saw me without immediately launching into a mantra about how much she missed "... all my babies - I had to leave one that was still suckling at the teat...!!!"

On that particular sailing, I was a single in a cabin (DH elected to stay home while I sailed with other family members). No matter what I did or said it was very difficult to extricate myself from the conversation... I found myself avoiding my cabin and hallway :(.

That, however, was the one and only time I or anyone I know has had an issue.

We maintain email contact with personnel from many lines and have done so for many years. I enjoy sending photos that the staff can share with their family and friends, and hearing about how they're doing. It's quite lighthearted and cordial, nothing deeply personal, and very enjoyable.

Awww.....poor thing. You were probably the only available woman she would talk to that didn't have a husband hovering nearby. Bad Burger Bits!! :D

Waiters sure - but what about bartenders, musicians, cabin stewards and officers? They have PLENTY of time to chat it up with you.

Awww.....poor thing. You were probably the only available woman she would talk to that didn't have a husband hovering nearby. Bad Burger Bits!! :D

Waiters sure - but what about bartenders, musicians, cabin stewards and officers? They have PLENTY of time to chat it up with you.

If that is the case, maybe senior management perceives that to be a sign that they are overstaffed, which is a luxury that they probably can't afford in the current economic climate.

Crewmembers are prohibited from engaging in physical relationships with guests. Crewmembers are not permitted to socialize with guests beyond their professional duties, and are not permitted to be in guest staterooms, except for the performance of their shipboard duties. Guests are expected to respect these policies and are similarly prohibited from engaging in physical relationships with crewmembers. Guests are not permitted in any restricted or crew areas of the ship, including crew staterooms and corridors.

This policies maybe refer to all lines.

This you will find also in Resorts!

As to the email contact, not very sure.

Passangers are reporting they are /were in contact with crew members.

If it is forbidden,than it is really very nice of them to keep the contact,as well as it is frompassangers to take from their off time and reply.

Between one or other below deck parties, or between they fall madly in love for this timeof period.

Hi Marlee,:) I email friends and they email me back.

I also know other people who keep in touch with crew/staff as well.

I was never told they could not receive or reply to email.

It´s very nice of them taking from their off (and money) and writing!

Especailly regarding the rules.

If that rule is true for Royal and Celeb then thats crazy!!

On my welcome aboard speech our managers gave us as crew they made comments like "some passengers you will keep in touch with for the rest of your lives" etc...

I email passengers all the time. Would be a shame if crew members on those lines would get in trouble for it.

James

If that rule is true for Royal and Celeb then thats crazy!!

On my welcome aboard speech our managers gave us as crew they made comments like "some passengers you will keep in touch with for the rest of your lives" etc...

I email passengers all the time. Would be a shame if crew members on those lines would get in trouble for it.

James

AHHH!!! A real crew member. Would you agree James (assuming you've been on the ships awhile) that the old rule was "don't ask - don't tell"? regarding passenger and crew or officer "relations". Did they not always just look the other way?

As far as the validity of the rule, simply go to celebritycruises.com and search "crew interaction"

Wait up....everyone here is saying there is and continues to be a free exchange between passengers and crew despite the edict.

:D Celebrity doesn't enforce this rule either!!!:D

As long as you follow the dress code, you can ignore any other rule without being criticized on cruise critic...Just kidding :)

I email passengers all the time.

James

I´msure they apprechiate that!

And it´s very kind of you doing this!

Nice job you have!

Archived