Icy Strait Point: Teckk VS Forget-Me-Not

monkeyinthemiddle

We will be in Icy Strait Point/Hoonah the end of June and we would like to go wildlife viewing. I am waffling between Forget-Me-Not Outfitters (Bob) and Teckk Outfitters (Keith). My concern is: How knowledgeable are the guides? Not just about bears, but thing like local bird, wildflowers and such. It would really peeve me for a guide not to know what he is looking at. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

We had a delightful tour with Keith from Teckk. He is amazingly knowledgable. He is a lifetime Hoonah resident and can tell you who lives in every cabin you pass by. He was always stopping to pick plants and tell us about them, skunk cabbage, berries, mushrooms, etc. He took us way off the beaten path on logging roads, and waved to the dozer operators as we went by. And finally he took us to The Office Bar, introduced us to Mary the owner who gave us a big hug and then served us fresh crab that had been swimming hours before. You will love him!

And oh, yes, he DID find a bear for us ;)

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We will be in Icy Strait Point/Hoonah the end of June and we would like to go wildlife viewing. I am waffling between Forget-Me-Not Outfitters (Bob) and Teckk Outfitters (Keith). My concern is: How knowledgeable are the guides? Not just about bears, but thing like local bird, wildflowers and such. It would really peeve me for a guide not to know what he is looking at. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

I'm sure either Bob or Kieth will give you an excellent tour. As coolrider mentioned both work together. Bob: http://forget-me-notoutfitters.com/ has lived in Hoonah 19 yrs and is an avid outdoorsman. Keith: http://www.teckkoutfitters.com/ is a life long resident of Hoonah.

Have a great Alaska visit.

Love the NEW Site !

Hi AKPeaches2! I'm quite sure we met at the airport when we were leaving Hoonah this last summer; do you remember me? I'm quite sure you were locked out of where you needed to go? Does that make sense?

We sure had a wonderful visit and will be back to Hoonah one day (Hopefully 2010)...you know it's that wallet thing. I always look at life with the cup 1/2 full rather than 1/2 empty; but we'll need that wallet overflowing before getting serious about another trip!

Hi AKPeaches2! I'm quite sure we met at the airport when we were leaving Hoonah this last summer; do you remember me? I'm quite sure you were locked out of where you needed to go? Does that make sense?

We sure had a wonderful visit and will be back to Hoonah one day (Hopefully 2010)...you know it's that wallet thing. I always look at life with the cup 1/2 full rather than 1/2 empty; but we'll need that wallet overflowing before getting serious about another trip!

;) Yes I remember meeting you at the airport. I finally had help getting in from our friend Harry and his son.

You folks should move here, life is much less stressful/hectic than the BIG cites. we moved here in '90 from Big D and sure don't miss the rush hour pace.:p

;) Yes I remember meeting you at the airport. I finally had help getting in from our friend Harry and his son.

You folks should move here, life is much less stressful/hectic than the BIG cites. we moved here in '90 from Big D and sure don't miss the rush hour pace.:p

Shhhh, don't tell my husband. He would move up to Alaska in a second! Our grandbaby is in Key West...that would be the widespread of the nation wouldn't it???

That was quite an experience trying to leave Hoonah. The weather was bad in Juneau but decent in Hoonah. The plane couldn't land in Hoonah so it really looked as though we would not make it out. I'll never forget sitting there almost wishing we would have to spend another night. We had Travel Protection so our cost's would have been covered. All of a sudden they told us the plane was landing and we even made our flight to Anchorage with time to spare...darn!

We had such an incredible time in Hoonah and we're so looking forward to our next trip! Hope to see you again!

Archived