Whale watching in Juneau

bocaj

We went with Rum Runner Charters on the 4 hour whale watch / wildlife photo tour with Capt. Chris Conder and highly recommend his charter. There are many whale watch companies in Juneau but only a couple get mentioned on this tread so you might look around like we did and have a great time. We have since helped several groups book a trip with Chris and if we get a bad report I will post it as well. Good Luck and have fun, it will be hard to have a bad trip with whoever you pick.

they were supposed to provide some Alaskan special snack food

Not with the operator you used, but with the one thru the ship -- we got one pathetic little cracker and a tiny blop of smoked salmon pate or similar. It was SUCH a letdown -- after the most amazing whale watching (including a pod of 8 orcas that put on a wonderful display(, everyone on the boat was on an amazing "high". And then they served the "snack" :D What a letdown!

when i went with ocra (capt larry) had a great time, even with only 4 to 6 humpbacks. we had 2 that stayed in sight and gave a great "show" with tail flapping and fin dancing and such. had a couple of sea lions that played within 6 ft of the back of the boat, before going over to visit the humbpacks.

the snacks were smoked fish/crackers and fruit drink. i would have missed the snacks. they put them out on the counter, but don't say anything. if you are outside the cabin you wouldn't know about the snacks.

i was so COLD, but would not come inside. my DH came and forced me in to get the snacks. they put out more, just for little old ME!

Sue,

No alcohol on the Orca ships. They served coffee, ice tea and bottled water if I remember correctly.

Capt Larry is an old salt that knows his whales and where they hang out. He even has names for them and can tell you about his previous encounters with them. The one whale that we had a close encounter with is one of his regular "girls". She put on quite a show for us, breeching and flapping her fins.

While Capt Larry like to give you the best experience he stays within the U.S. guideline about keeping the proper distance from the whales. Many times, like our experience, we would be drifting quite a distance from the whale, then they would move closer to us.

Capt Larry's crew are young college kids that are usually bio or science majors. They were very knowledgible about the whales and the area. They were very helpful in assisting passengers onto the ship and up on the upper viewing area. We had a family with several young (5-10 yo) kids. They were very watchful when the kids were on the outside deck.

They also serve juice. Just went out with Capt Larry (ORCA ENTERPRISES) last month for the 10th time. I've always had a wonderful experience doing so. His newest boat is very smooth and comfortable. Handicap accessable and restroom onboard. While I spent most of the time either in the cabin or on the back deck, my brother stayed pretty much on the top and got some greally great pix. I think they charge $18.00 extra to be dropped at Mendenhall Glacier after the whale watch and then pick you up later. Or, they'll give you a coupon to take the shuttle bus that runs back and forth there.

Archived