Bahamas Visa?

inasisi

I am planning to take the Norwegian Gem on Mar 28th 2009 from NYC. I am in the US on a H1 visa. Would I need a visa to get out of the port in Bahamas? When I called up Norwegian Customer Service, they asked me to get in touch with Bahamas Consulate. At the Bahamas consulate they said that Indian citizens without a US Green Card need a visa but did not make any differentiation for arrivals by cruise. The consulate official didn't give me the impression that he was very knowledgeable.

Two years ago when I cruised to Mexico, it was the same story. Mexican consulate said that I needed a visa but when I landed there on a cruise, there was absolutely no Mexican immigration official to check any thing and I could get in without a visa.

Has any one been on a cruise to Bahamas? If so were there any Bahamas Immigration official checking your passport at the port of entry?

P.S - I had posted this on "Ask a cruise question" forum, but I think that this might be a better forum for this question.

We didn't need one but I think that is due to change soon. All we were required was our Carnival Sign and Sail passes and valid photo ID, but we are US citizens. You may want to check further with the US gov't about the date it changes and your special Visa conditions.

• 2 months later...
I am planning to take the Norwegian Gem on Mar 28th 2009 from NYC. I am in the US on a H1 visa. Would I need a visa to get out of the port in Bahamas? When I called up Norwegian Customer Service, they asked me to get in touch with Bahamas Consulate. At the Bahamas consulate they said that Indian citizens without a US Green Card need a visa but did not make any differentiation for arrivals by cruise. The consulate official didn't give me the impression that he was very knowledgeable.

Two years ago when I cruised to Mexico, it was the same story. Mexican consulate said that I needed a visa but when I landed there on a cruise, there was absolutely no Mexican immigration official to check any thing and I could get in without a visa.

Has any one been on a cruise to Bahamas? If so were there any Bahamas Immigration official checking your passport at the port of entry?

P.S - I had posted this on "Ask a cruise question" forum, but I think that this might be a better forum for this question.

Were you able to take the cruise? Any updates. Please let me know as I'm sailing on 15th May and I'm on H1b Visa with multiple entries

You're cruise crew acts on behalf of immigration when processing travelers. They should know what is need to allow you off the ship at port.

They must create a manifest for each port to give to the immigration office. (that's why you don't Process thru immigration).

The fact that noone checked your physical passport doesn't mean that they didn't check.. they just rely on the manifest.. which should be sent ahead of the ship.

If you need a visa to travel by air.. then you will need a visa to visit by boat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Inasisi,

How was yr cruise in March 2009?

So how about yr Bahamus Visa?

Could you please tell me if I need to apply one.

I will go there just 1 day with carnival cruise from Orlando.

I am Thai nationality but do have US Visa. do i still need a bAHAMUS vISA?

Please help.

Thanks a lot

Hi Inasisi,

How was yr cruise in March 2009?

So how about yr Bahamus Visa?

Could you please tell me if I need to apply one.

I will go there just 1 day with carnival cruise from Orlando.

I am Thai nationality but do have US Visa. do i still need a bAHAMUS vISA?

Please help.

Thanks a lot

http://www.mfabahamas.org/New%20visa%20to%20the%20bahamas.htm

• 4 years later...

So what happened? My Chinese friend went on Carnival to the Bahamas and did not need a visa. It's a closed loop tour that goes back to New York. I am going to the Bahamas on NCL so just want to make sure they do not deny me boarding. For those wondering why we don't just call NCL, a travel agent or the consulate, it's because all three are of no use. I called and they give the unclear information so i have been asking people who went on the cruise