track pants ok on casual nite w/button down shirt

beyoung

I think you are teaching your son a very important lesson by asking him to bring a pair of pants that would fall within the "Smart Casual" dress code. I know what it is like trying to discuss appropriate dress with teenagers. Been there, have the scars to show for it, but my two made it through their teen years and learned a few things about social conventions along the way :rolleyes:.

Thank you!

Your son might be able to "get away with" track pants, just because no one wants to make a scene by singling out the one or two people who might show up at the specialty restaurant so attired. But I think you know that it would not be "appropriate" attire for the Normandie, which is a very beautiful restaurant, with great food and excellent service from a wait staff attired in tuxedos.

I think you are teaching your son a very important lesson by asking him to bring a pair of pants that would fall within the "Smart Casual" dress code. I know what it is like trying to discuss appropriate dress with teenagers. Been there, have the scars to show for it, but my two made it through their teen years and learned a few things about social conventions along the way :rolleyes:.

I am interested in what you said about your country club. Do they really accept track pants for evening dining attire, or is that just for breakfast, lunch and sporting events?

Yes the CC does, but then again you would have to understand the "style" in our suburb.

Anyhow we discussed it over dinner and I shared with my husband what people had to say and he said "That's it, dress pants for the first night, dockers for the regular restaurants and he will wear his white dinner jacket with black pants and tie for formal and semi- the end"

As much as this has entertained me I do thank you all, I personally am not as impressed by other's attire (although I am bringing a divine gown) but if it were a trade off to have a good kid like mine in track pants or an "Eddie

Haskell type " in a tux I will take my kid any day.

Although now the kid wants to know if he can wear his brown loafers instead of dress shoes... I can handle this one on my own. just put on the darn good shoes and be quiet!

X cruisers are TOTAL fashion neurotics... so - if you are concerned about offending someone... either stay ashore or have too! Your chances of NOT offending someone - no matter what you wear - are just too small to allow it to get in the way of a good meal!

You see - personally - I was fine with the silky nylon track pants UNTIL you put a button down shirt with it... OOOOOOOOOH! - THAT gave me the willies! :D (I mean, if you're going to go sporty - stay sporty - with a golf or rugby style shirt! I'm getting vertigo apparel motion sickness thinking about it. :eek:)

Enjoy!

I get motion sick, too about the picture of a guy in trank pants and a HAWAII style button down shirt! Even if he is a good kid, with A grade, doesn't drink and doesn't do drugs...DOES he has to walk around as a CLOWN or worst dressed person on the ship people make fun of???

I get motion sick, too about the picture of a guy in trank pants and a HAWAII style button down shirt! Even if he is a good kid, with A grade, doesn't drink and doesn't do drugs...DOES he has to walk around as a CLOWN or worst dressed person on the ship people make fun of???

Well now that was fairly nasty. My son dresses very much so like the successful brother on "two and a half men" when I say "hawaiin shirt" that is all I can think to describe button down shirts that are not dress shirts.

i would say bowling shirt but they are high quality.

I assure you they are very expensive and made of silk and all from top name designers (nope prada only makes shoes and bags but others) he does not look like a clown ever but thank you for watching out for his ego. I frankly would find it pathetic if an adult was so insecure they felt the need to make fun of a teen and vote them the worst dressed on the ship.

Thank you to the people who helped us figure us what would be appropriate.

Well, you're certain to get lots of folks blasting away at you about this... track, or exercise, pants would likely not be considered 'appropriate' for dining anywhere but the buffet by many folks.

Look at it this way; would you be comfortable if he - or any other patron - wore those pants to, say, Ruth's Chris or any other high-end restaurant in your area for dinner?

However, since it's the first night, it's likely that allowances will be made :D. There are ppl who don't get their luggage in time to change for dinner, and if the Maitre d' asks, you can state that that's the case.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Once on a cruise my wife's luggage arrived on time for an early dinner at a specialty restaurant where no casual attire was permitted at the time.Mine did not.Having traveled down on the plane in a Speedo and without luggage,I was forced to wear some of her formal attire.

I had no problem with the Maitre'D who kept winking at me all night.

Once on a cruise my wife's luggage arrived on time for an early dinner at a specialty restaurant where no casual attire was permitted at the time.Mine did not.Having traveled down on the plane in a Speedo and without luggage,I was forced to wear some of her formal attire.

I had no problem with the Maitre'D who kept winking at me all night.

... and thanks to that experience, we now have at least ONE fella who really, really understands how 'regurgitationally*' uncomfortable those 'tummy tamer' undergarments can be...

:D

*(No, it's not a real word, but it certainly should be in this context...:rolleyes:)

once on a cruise my wife's luggage arrived on time for an early dinner at a specialty restaurant where no casual attire was permitted at the time.mine did not.having traveled down on the plane in a speedo and without luggage,i was forced to wear some of her formal attire.

I had no problem with the maitre'd who kept winking at me all night.

Oh my god i saw that!!!

Archived