Diving at the Valley of the Rays

rbv

I am looking for a dive shop that takes divers to the Valley of the Rays. I find several companies that take snorkelers but not divers. I am beginning to wonder if that is because diving there is not recommended. Can anyone recommend a dive shop?

RBV

I assume you are referring to Stingray City. I have not heard of a dive site in Cayman called Valley of the Rays.

There are two Stingray sites in the North Sound - the Stingray Sandbar and the original Stingray City. Just to confuse things many tour operators will use the name Stingray City when actually taking people to the sandbar.

Following an introduction of certain wildlife interaction management practices, it is no longer legal to run scuba diving trips to the Stingray Sandbar. These trips should now go to the original Stingray City site which is about 12ft deep.

Most dive operators do offer a Stingray dive. Because it is so shallow, it is usually done as either a second dive of a two tank dive outing or else as a stand alone one tank dive.

You may need to make enquiries with several dive shops to find one that fits your schedule. The smaller independent dive operators have more flexibility to work with cruise passengers.

Archived