Last minute packing-contraband or not?

mamamarmot

Betcha thought this was another one of those alcohol smuggling threads:p

Mmkay, we're down to wire packing for Saturday for our maiden cruise (Star). We're taking off tomorrow to make our way down to San Pedro and DH told me I better ask the experts.

Is it ok for him to have a Leatherman in his checked luggage-- you know, one of those thingamjigs with pliers, screwdriver, small knife, can opener etc.? Is the tiny knife that's part of the whole thing a dealbreaker as far as "weapons" are concerned. He'd be a wee bit put out if it was confiscated before embarking...

I guess that's open to the judgment of the person doing the scanning. I had a pair of blunt tipped child-size scissors taken away from my carry-on, wrapped in cardboard and duct-tape (to the point where I needed the scissors:D to get it open!) and then delivered to my cabin. (I guess their theory was that I would probably go crazy while trying to board the ship, but would not be inclined to try to take over the ship by kidnapping the captain with my small scissors.) Who knows what they would do with an actual knife!

Even if someone in the past has had no trouble, I don't think you can count on that unless you find more specific info regarding what is considered a weapon. If he doesn't want to risk losing it, better leave it at home.

So worst case scenario is if is conficated, it would be returned on the last day of the cruise, not thrown away? I think he could live with that.

Honestly, I have no clue why he thinks he needs to bring it in the first place. Too much Survivorman on tv is my best guess.

So worst case scenario is if is conficated, it would be returned on the last day of the cruise, not thrown away? I think he could live with that.

Honestly, I have no clue why he thinks he needs to bring it in the first place. Too much Survivorman on tv is my best guess.

I had to laugh when I read this post. My husband will not leave home without his leatherman. He swears we will always need it for something. He's always packed it in our checked luggage & never had a problem :)

Is it ok for him to have a Leatherman in his checked luggage-- you know, one of those thingamjigs with pliers, screwdriver, small knife, can opener etc.? Is the tiny knife that's part of the whole thing a dealbreaker as far as "weapons" are concerned. He'd be a wee bit put out if it was confiscated before embarking...

I believe as long as it's in checked baggage, it's OK. My dad's one of those guys who won't leave home without one, always swearing he'll need it (and never does).

People on this thread are confusing checked baggage with carry-on baggage.

If your leatherman...or any other tools...are in your checked baggage -- the "big suitcase" that goes into the belly of the plane, is tagged for the ship's porters to carry on board for you -- it should be fine.

Stuff like leatherman tools, manicure scissors, other "sharp pointy items" get confiscated if they're in your carry-on -- the knapsack you have over your shoulder, or your "day bag", or your canvas tote with swimsuit in it, or whatever.

I took a whole toolbox full of "sharp pointy items" in my checked luggage without incident, but had to empty out my purse for my metal nail file that I'd forgotten was in there, as it had wriggled under the purse lining.

If you threw it in with your toiletries I dunno how they would ever figure out what it is. It would look like a small rectangle without any blades etc

Thats exactly were I have one . I have had a small leatherman in my toiletries bag for years ( Checked bags ) never a word. ;)

While there is a huge difference between checked and carry-on baggage for commercial airplanes (you can often pack hand guns in your checked baggage on a plane!), the difference might be less so for cruise lines, for obvious reasons... with airplanes, you don't have access to your checked baggage until after you deplane... on the cruise, you have your checked baggage while on board.

I would bet, if you pointed it out to them (told them you have a leatherman in your checked baggage), you might have a problem (confiscated until the end of the cruise). But, the question is, would they really find something like that? And, as a previous poster mentioned, the small blade on the leatherman (like child's scizzors) may not be the best tool for hijacking a ship!

It is my understand that they do scan the checked baggage, not just for alcohol (have you ever seen the bins of bottles they collect??!!), but also for other items that don't belong on board. For example, I know scuba diving knifes often get flagged and are held by the crew while on board (and given back when you get off in a port where you might need it).

On my last cruise, I left my pocket knife at home - no need for the hassle (even if you get it on board and start to carry it, they may find it when you re-board at a port).

Happy sails!!

Archived