Internet Access on Ventura

lostinvegas

The short answer is that yes, there is wifi access in the public areas. (I didn't check them out in detail.) Have a look at this comment I made in my blog from Ventura last September:

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/2008/09/28/ventura-embarkation-later/

Here's a link to summary page about the whole cruise:

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/previous-cruises/cruises-in-2008/ventura-cruise/

I bought a package on the first day of the cruise. If you did this you could have a wi-fi router loan for your cabin. There was also an alternative of a LAN cable. I used the wi-fi router although there was a problem with the short LAN cable to connect it so I used my own. If I'd taken my own long (+5m) LAN cable that would probably have been even better. LAN connection point in my outside cabin was behind the TV. Had to use the plug socket for the kettle to run the router.

Hope this helps, G.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a package on the first day of the cruise. If you did this you could have a wi-fi router loan for your cabin. There was also an alternative of a LAN cable. I used the wi-fi router although there was a problem with the short LAN cable to connect it so I used my own. If I'd taken my own long (+5m) LAN cable that would probably have been even better. LAN connection point in my outside cabin was behind the TV. Had to use the plug socket for the kettle to run the router.

Hope this helps, G.

could i ask the price of the package you bought?

are the public wi-fi spots free?

I can't remember exactly but I think it was £40 for around 240 minutes plus £1.50 to set up the account. There is no free wi-fi. It depends where you're cruising, you may well find free wi-fi hotspots in port if your laptop is really portable. I now have an Eee 901 which is small enough to carry around in my handbag and has long battery life so it's ideal for taking into a coffee shop to use the free wi-fi. G.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a little netbook on our cruise. The price was around 40 quid for 280 minutes they seemed to have a deal on the first day or so to get additional minutes. It was quick and easy to use and very simple!

Was a better experience than sending post cards to the inlaws. We had a wireless router and all you have to remember is to unplug it at night as it would glow by our tv and look like aliens where landing behind it. Had some great quality skype calls with my parents whilst on holiday at a fairly cheap cost probably only spent 40 quid in total for the whole cruise which is probably what I normally spend using the mobile for brief calls.

The bad days were at sea were it is moving and cloudly then the internet is patchy, but that is to be expected.

Huw

Archived