Ex Caronia

garigoun

I've nicked this quote from the 'What to do with the QE2' thread, hope you don't mind Bettie

Saga thankfully did it with Caronia so that she can continue to sail. And for the following of devoted older fans that the QE2 has, there is no doubt that she would be a success sailing with Saga. From what I heard from fellow passengers in August on QE2 who had sailed on the Saga Ruby's 2008 World Cruise, the QE2 could well be better than ever with Saga. Those from the Ruby's world cruise said service, attention to detail and food was better than QE2. I am now ducking!

Bettie

I too have heard extremely good reports of the Saga Ruby/Caronia and would like to travel on it one day. I was on the last trip that the Caronia did for Cunard and I liked the ship very much indeed. The service and the food were a step above my last trip on QM2 last year (May 16th TA, stopover and return on May 27). Not that there was anything wrong with the food on the QM2 it was ok and certainly value for money and I'm not a foodie anyway, (I have taste but no palette) but it did not live up to the publicised level. The service too was ok but nothing special and I know that there are a lot of cruisers to whom this is an important, even an essential part of their holiday. Lots of people like to form a relationship with their cabin steward/ess or their table staff in the restaurant, it enhances their cruising experience and I did hear, and have since read on this board, that this aspect of Cunard is slipping. For myself I don't require much service I just like the guys to do their job as efficiently and unobtrusively as possible, so as long as no-one is actually rude to me or pours gravy down my shirt I don't care. I have no experience of the grills but it would seem from posts on here that both the food and the service are almost universally praised. So I guess it all depends on one's expectations and how much of the Cunard brochure you take to be the absolute truth. I certainly have never had a 'bad' cruise on any of the Cunard fleet. (And yes friends, I do include 'the bloody boat' in that statement.) But I would definitely like to have a trip on the old Caronia again, maybe next season who knows.

Gari

I've nicked this quote from the 'What to do with the QE2' thread, hope you don't mind Bettie

Saga thankfully did it with Caronia so that she can continue to sail. And for the following of devoted older fans that the QE2 has, there is no doubt that she would be a success sailing with Saga. From what I heard from fellow passengers in August on QE2 who had sailed on the Saga Ruby's 2008 World Cruise, the QE2 could well be better than ever with Saga. Those from the Ruby's world cruise said service, attention to detail and food was better than QE2. I am now ducking!

Bettie

I too have heard extremely good reports of the Saga Ruby/Caronia and would like to travel on it one day. I was on the last trip that the Caronia did for Cunard and I liked the ship very much indeed. The service and the food were a step above my last trip on QM2 last year (May 16th TA, stopover and return on May 27). Not that there was anything wrong with the food on the QM2 it was ok and certainly value for money and I'm not a foodie anyway, (I have taste but no palette) but it did not live up to the publicised level. The service too was ok but nothing special and I know that there are a lot of cruisers to whom this is an important, even an essential part of their holiday. Lots of people like to form a relationship with their cabin steward/ess or their table staff in the restaurant, it enhances their cruising experience and I did hear, and have since read on this board, that this aspect of Cunard is slipping. For myself I don't require much service I just like the guys to do their job as efficiently and unobtrusively as possible, so as long as no-one is actually rude to me or pours gravy down my shirt I don't care. I have no experience of the grills but it would seem from posts on here that both the food and the service are almost universally praised. So I guess it all depends on one's expectations and how much of the Cunard brochure you take to be the absolute truth. I certainly have never had a 'bad' cruise on any of the Cunard fleet. (And yes friends, I do include 'the bloody boat' in that statement.) But I would definitely like to have a trip on the old Caronia again, maybe next season who knows.

Gari

Group cruise for the old folks? Count me in! :)

Yes I voted for her (QE2) to resume cruising with another cruise line and perhaps Saga is the obvious one. Inevitably it will be down to finances in the end but even after a few years more cruising she could still be put as a hotel and museum.

SS Rotterdam is an example of a ship being taken over after nearly 40 years (by Premier) albeit for only 3 years but finally ending up as a hotel /museum - one which I look forward to visiting soon.

Trevor

Nor me, im far too young :D ;)

Of course you are, Gav! Of course you are.

And, while I think about it Mr "Snowed-in in Dorset", it looks like you've sent your rotten snow up here! I don't suppose you'd like to take it back would you?

J

And, while I think about it Mr "Snowed-in in Dorset", it looks like you've sent your rotten snow up here! I don't suppose you'd like to take it back would you?

J

You're supposed to wait till post #10 before you drift.

G.

J

NO :eek:

My lady was meant to be driving down from Newcastle to spend the weekend here, but that is on hold now :(

Gav :cool:

Archived