Bringing lots of wine?

lmt0714

DH and I are on a 9 day on Jewel. He likes red and I like white, and with 9 days we can drink a lot of wine :D I am wondering if there is a way to get the wine onboard without having to carry it on. We plan on boarding early and I would hate to lug around a case of wine until our cabin is ready. Can we check it and pay the corkage fee later?

This is just a guess, 'cause I am a box wine kind of guy ...

If you checked a case of wine, it would go to the "naughty" room, and you would get a note to go there and claim it. At that point, they would charge the corkage fee. Put a luggage tag on the case.

I had thought about doing that too...but hate to waste time in the naughty room for something we are allowed to bring on.

Well for Valentines Day, I bought my DH a 6 bottle rolling wine bag...shhhhh...he doesn't know it yet! ;)

One of the bottles we are bringing is very special, expensive- our kids gave it to us for Christmas. We will be celebrating our 34th anniversary on the cruise, so we want to open it and enjoy it then.

I would worry about it being checked and would rather keep it with us...so I figured, it would be easier to "roll" it around with us until we can bring it to our cabin. :)

Though not "allowed", you can often sneak to your room and drop it off.

That's what we did. Although there was a sign in the hallway saying something about the rooms being made up, we walked down the hallway and noticed EVERY door we passed had the green "welcome" indicator showing. We got to our cabin and noticed the same. Saw the stewards bustling about and they just said hi and went about their business. We dropped off carry-ons and made our way to deck 12 for sail-away.

So you can (carry-on) wine onboard and pay the $15 fee per bottle,

You can bring wine onboard in your checked luggage, but you will have to go to the naughty room to pay a fee per bottle.

So I will ask this: I would like to carry-on nine bottles of wine ( we are in the Garden Villa, three couples) and I don't care about paying the $$ fee, I also have a rolling case for the wine, so it's easy to push around. Is there a limit on how many bottles we can bring? should I have the other couples in our villa bring on some of the wine, like three each?

So you can (carry-on) wine onboard and pay the $15 fee per bottle,

You can bring wine onboard in your checked luggage, but you will have to go to the naughty room to pay a fee per bottle.

So I will ask this: I would like to carry-on nine bottles of wine ( we are in the Garden Villa, three couples) and I don't care about paying the $$ fee, I also have a rolling case for the wine, so it's easy to push around. Is there a limit on how many bottles we can bring? should I have the other couples in our villa bring on some of the wine, like three each?

If you call NCL (which I'm not recommending) they MAY say there's a limit. In reality, there is not limit. PAX have brought on as much as a case of wine. We normally carry on 8 bottles.

I had thought about doing that too...but hate to waste time in the naughty room for something we are allowed to bring on.

Well for Valentines Day, I bought my DH a 6 bottle rolling wine bag...shhhhh...he doesn't know it yet! ;)

One of the bottles we are bringing is very special, expensive- our kids gave it to us for Christmas. We will be celebrating our 34th anniversary on the cruise, so we want to open it and enjoy it then.

I would worry about it being checked and would rather keep it with us...so I figured, it would be easier to "roll" it around with us until we can bring it to our cabin. :)

How did the gift go over? After your post, I checked them out online. They ranged in price from several hundred dollars for the leather versions to around $80 for a canvas bag. After looking around the house, we have several bottles we could take. But, would the cost of the bag outweigh the purchase of the wine onboard. $22.00 for their house brand.

How did the gift go over? After your post, I checked them out online. They ranged in price from several hundred dollars for the leather versions to around $80 for a canvas bag. After looking around the house, we have several bottles we could take. But, would the cost of the bag outweigh the purchase of the wine onboard. $22.00 for their house brand.

He really liked it. I also went to World Market where they had some nice wines in bottles with a big Heart on the label, another bottle with some really pretty vines on the label-Virgin (as in the Airline)Vines. Put those in the bag with a jar of yummy choc. chip cookies, and choc. footballs.

At the Wine Enthusiast website, they have the rolling 6 bottle wine bags on sale for $59, so you can decide whether that is worth it or not...of course, it can be used over and over and over again. ;)

Also at Wine Enthusiast.com I got these really different edible flowers that you can put in your champagne glass and fill with champagne...pretty interesting. Thought I would bring those along to use in our glasses for our Anniversary champagne celebration.

Enjoy!

Feb 1 on Pearl we carried on 11 bottles for two couples. paid the corkage without any questions or issues. Having said that we did have to take care of it until our rooms were ready.

Thank you for that answer, it is what I wanted to hear. I'm hoping that because we are in a Villa that they will look the other way when we get walked thru security. I don't think that will happen, but who knows??

He really liked it. I also went to World Market where they had some nice wines in bottles with a big Heart on the label, another bottle with some really pretty vines on the label-Virgin (as in the Airline)Vines. Put those in the bag with a jar of yummy choc. chip cookies, and choc. footballs.

At the Wine Enthusiast website, they have the rolling 6 bottle wine bags on sale for $59, so you can decide whether that is worth it or not...of course, it can be used over and over and over again. ;)

Also at Wine Enthusiast.com I got these really different edible flowers that you can put in your champagne glass and fill with champagne...pretty interesting. Thought I would bring those along to use in our glasses for our Anniversary champagne celebration.

Enjoy!

I'm so glad he enjoyed it! Thank you for the tip for the website, that does sound like a good price. I want some of those edible flowers too, for Chris' birthday. And, we have a World Market near work; I have to go check that out as well! Thank you again.

I just remembered! Chris pulled a rolling bag/cart out of her deployment stuff the other night. I'm sure we would have to use bubble wrap or something, but it would work! I still want the edible flowers for Chris' birthday though. And the wine with pretty bottles.

Does this mean I can put another IOU for $59.00 into my cruise jar?:D Different post out there.:)

I just cruised on the Dawn and took 6 bottles. There were no questions asked. We were in an Owner's suite, so an NCL employee took us from the suite check in room thru security, no issues. You can also look at office supply stores for a "trial case," what attorneys carry or roll or one of the cases a pilot rolls... they all seem the same to me, I have a trial case. I just used a carry on rolling suitcase with a LOCK. The bottles were in wine skins, so they wouldn't break and we locked the bag after security and dropped it off in the lounge before our room was ready. Have fun!!

I just cruised on the Dawn and took 6 bottles. There were no questions asked. We were in an Owner's suite, so an NCL employee took us from the suite check in room thru security, no issues. You can also look at office supply stores for a "trial case," what attorneys carry or roll or one of the cases a pilot rolls... they all seem the same to me, I have a trial case. I just used a carry on rolling suitcase with a LOCK. The bottles were in wine skins, so they wouldn't break and we locked the bag after security and dropped it off in the lounge before our room was ready. Have fun!!

Did you still have to pay the corkage fee? I'm looking foward to the Suite (villa)check-in room.

This is just a guess, 'cause I am a box wine kind of guy ...

If you checked a case of wine, it would go to the "naughty" room, and you would get a note to go there and claim it. At that point, they would charge the corkage fee. Put a luggage tag on the case.

In the past we have just put the box-o-wine in our luggage. If they find it as it goes through security what will happen? Also, would there be a $15 corking fee per liter or just on the box?

I'm so glad he enjoyed it! Thank you for the tip for the website, that does sound like a good price. I want some of those edible flowers too, for Chris' birthday. And, we have a World Market near work; I have to go check that out as well! Thank you again.

You are most welcome!! :D

That's what we are all here for....for tips, tricks, and feedback...love it! ;)

I just remembered! Chris pulled a rolling bag/cart out of her deployment stuff the other night. I'm sure we would have to use bubble wrap or something, but it would work! I still want the edible flowers for Chris' birthday though. And the wine with pretty bottles.

Does this mean I can put another IOU for $59.00 into my cruise jar?:D Different post out there.:)

Of course!! Almost pays for the romance package!

The rolling bag that you have would work, I am sure...just don't forget that bubble wrap!

MS Belp asked me to post pix of the rolling cart/bag cooler. There's a view of it folded, unfolded and side views.

62810881_02150216001.jpg.5f0bc64736b14c64e5cf2af1feb83fe3.jpg

1312191509_02150216002.jpg.bbdb4d043d36ff70289f633849e6dd46.jpg

1915337820_02150216003.jpg.ef6c809c0f5810cb6dcd3f4767fad11c.jpg

351730428_02150216004.jpg.2cd826dd5f5cca538f8c788b9f5b0176.jpg

Suzyed, do you think this might work for us? Too flimsy? I thought about it and think I would have to buy the wine at the port of debarkation. Too much to carry and worry about on a flight.

It probably would work if you did buy your wine at the port, and wrapped it in bubble wrap or something.

My only thought on that is, would they make you unwrap it all after going through the ships security? I mean, to make sure it is wine and not "booze"...you know, it would just look like bottles of liquid :confused:

Lets see....um...maybe where ever you buy your wine near port, they could give you cardboard to put between the bottles, that might work.

The rolling bag I got has padded compartments and you can just slip each bottle out to look at it.

It probably would work if you did buy your wine at the port, and wrapped it in bubble wrap or something.

My only thought on that is, would they make you unwrap it all after going through the ships security? I mean, to make sure it is wine and not "booze"...you know, it would just look like bottles of liquid :confused:

Lets see....um...maybe where ever you buy your wine near port, they could give you cardboard to put between the bottles, that might work.

The rolling bag I got has padded compartments and you can just slip each bottle out to look at it.

Yeah, that does actually sound better. Does it have the wine sleeves others have referred to? I mean, other than the padded compartments? Or, is that being redundant?:confused:

Yeah, that does actually sound better. Does it have the wine sleeves others have referred to? I mean, other than the padded compartments? Or, is that being redundant?:confused:

Nope, just has the padded compartments...but I think it will work fine.

I am going to pack our collapsible cooler on wheels that I often pack anyway when we fly. I just put the cardboard in it from the inside of a case of wine, and put a few bottles of wine inside. Works great! We will be flying from sfo to bcn and will have a couple of days pre-cruise. We will pick up our wine in Barcelona. :D

Archived