Anyone have any info on the Carnival Freedom?

georgiapeach115

I just booked the Freedom today for May 31, 2009. I have searched the boards and there's not much info on the Carnival Freedom. I decided to book an inside cabin on this cruise so I can spend more on excursions. Does anyone have anything to say about the Freedom? I know it is one of the newer ships. I'd love any information or pictures you would like to share! Thanks!

Hey Lisa!

We are also booked on the Freedom, but for October. I recently found an awesome sight that has a profile and photo tour of the Freedom, as well as a bunch of other ships. Here it is:

www.beyondships.com

Make sure you post a review when you come back so I have something to read to hold me over until my cruise! Have an awesome trip!

Hi amcjeep4life! Thank you for the link! I will certainly post a review while I am away. I usually take my laptop with me so I can write about the cruise while it is fresh on my mind! I noticed that on your last cruise it says you went to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. We are going to these ports, and have never been there before. Any suggestions for those ports?

I sailed on the Freedom last year for spring break! It is a very nice ship. I am not sure what kind of info you are looking for.

I can tell you that I stayed in an interior cabin on the Verandah deck. The cabin was as expected--nothing huge but good size for 2 people. Our cabin was on the starboard side, towards the back. I am not sure what was behind us, but it was a noisy location. I think the Lido kitchen was above us, so that was probably it.

I tried to upload a few pics, but my computer was not playing nice. I was able to get one pic of our interior cabin up though. I will try to upload a few more for you later.

If you have any specific questions, please post them, and I will try to help :D

100_0921.jpg.c8b4fd0af7deb15d23462e7101e7cc8b.jpg

Thanks for the pics papanh! Those were awesome! Cruiselover824, thank you for your information. We are booked in an inside cabin, so thank you for the picture. I'm sure it will be just fine for my mom and I. I stayed in an inside on my very first cruise. I just wanted to spend more on the trip this time, and not the room! We had a balcony on the Glory last year, and honestly weren't in the room enough to enjoy it and get our money's worth! Any areas on the ship that are quieter and more out of the way?

Hi Lisa, you should join the Roll Call for this cruise. I booked this same cruise last July so I have been going crazy waiting for it. We have quite a few people on the roll call now and I expect things to pick up when we get closer to cruise time.

I have not been on the Freedom yet but have cruised the Glory twice and the Valor which are the same class of ships. I have loved all of my Carnival cruises and expect this one will be good too. I picked the Freedom because it is much newer. I think the cruise will be great. I'll be looking for you our roll call soon and hope to see you there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808646

We just got off the Freedom in December...! :) You'll be amazed as most of the outside decks, other than the Lido, are quite peaceful..:D

Going up a deck from the pool deck, or two, will give you a very nice, restful area...:p

Take a quik walk around the ship the first 'day at sea' .. You'll pretty much be able to tell what areas are to your liking..:p

I just booked the Freedom today for May 31, 2009. I have searched the boards and there's not much info on the Carnival Freedom. I decided to book an inside cabin on this cruise so I can spend more on excursions. Does anyone have anything to say about the Freedom? I know it is one of the newer ships. I'd love any information or pictures you would like to share! Thanks!

I can give you info but no pics.

We were on the Freedom just over a month ago.

Had a great time.

Balcony cabin on the lido deck.

Loved mini golf. Didn't really watch the jumbo-tron tv. Good staff and good food. Ports were great!!! We did the eight day.

Any other ??'s

Hey Lisa! As we were on our first cruise, we booked the typical excursions in both ports. We weren't sure if we would like cruising, so wanted to get those "have-to-do" sort of things out of the way! In Ocho Rios, here is what we did:

2393259430104454228S500x500Q85.jpg

We went with a private tour, rather than a ship excursion. Saved a bit of money, and had fun. Our guide was awesome and told us a lot about the area. He was nice enough to drop us off at the Harley dealer in Ocho Rios so we could get our necessary shirts.

We found the Caymans very expensive! We paid almost as much for 4 shirts here as we paid for 10 shirts in Cozumel. We got pretty lucky the day we were here, since there had been a storm through the area and our ship and the Conquest were the only two ships able to tender that day, every one else was turned away! Great for us, and Carnival had cancelled all their water excursions as well. Made for an empty Stingray City.

2629019160104454228S500x500Q85.jpg

There were only 5 boats with maybe 100 people, whereas normally the boat that Carnival takes has better than 350 people on it alone! So we counted ourselves extremely lucky! Again, we had booked with a private company, and since Carnival cancelled their excursions, we were super lucky to get there! We enjoyed our cruise so much.

Can I ask which cruise you are taking on the Freedom? Since she does 4 different trips, I was wondering which you were going on. We are doing the Western itinerary that includes Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama. Can't wait!

Papanh! Those photos were awesome! Congrats on the 40th Anniversary, even tho 41 is right around the corner for you! We are thinking of doing a vow renewal in '10 for our 10th. Did you enjoy it? I remember you posting the approx. price on another thread, and wondered how they calculated it? Did it depend on how many people were there? Thanks for any help you can give me. Again, awesome phpts!

Cruiselover, thanks for the picture of the inside cabin. We will be in 6214 when we go in October. But, I hope our beds are together! ;)

Thank you everyone so much for your info! amcjeep4life, it looks like you guys had a wonderful time! We are doing the 6 day Western with stops in Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Cannot wait! We have decided to do our own thing in Key West (I have been here before) and in Grand Cayman we decided on an island tour. I'm really having trouble with Ocho, though. My mom has physical limitations so the Falls are out. We're thinking of possibly doing the Bamboo Beach Club. We'll see!

Thank you everyone so much for your info! amcjeep4life, it looks like you guys had a wonderful time! We are doing the 6 day Western with stops in Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. Cannot wait! We have decided to do our own thing in Key West (I have been here before) and in Grand Cayman we decided on an island tour. I'm really having trouble with Ocho, though. My mom has physical limitations so the Falls are out. We're thinking of possibly doing the Bamboo Beach Club. We'll see!

Just got off the Freedom western this morning.

Extremely nice ship. If you have been on one Conquest class ship, you have been on them all. (except we did enjoy the afternoon and evening movies on the big screen, plus morning concerts. The Glory did NOT have the big screen.)

Staff was great across the board.

Management was less than great.

Tried to cut it too close on how many buffets were open during the days (even sea days) and there always seemed to be longer lines than on our previous sailings.

Could barely hit the Mexican window twice in 6 days, as it's hours were never posted and you just had to be lucky enough to hit it in the hour or two window it was open each day.(plus know that it was mexican as it says Oriental above the window.)

The all day stop in Key West was great.

We managed to hit every stop we wanted (Truman's White House, Hemingway's House, the Butterfly conservatory, the southernmost point, then walked all the way back up Duval St.) had time for a couple of bar stops and time to pick up a couple of 12 packs at CVS and were still back on board with an hour to spare.

The lengthy stop in Grand Cayman was also great.

Did a stingray city, reef snorkle and rum point beach tour, which took up the entire day for us.

But it was great.

We heard nothing but great reviews of every excursion people had taken in Grand Cayman.

Ocho Rios was the exact opposite.

The only people who had enjoyed themselves, that we talked to the next sea day, was a few people on a catamaran tour and the people who went on the various mystic mountain/bobsled tours.

Anybody who had taken any of the 50 various combinations of _________ and Dunn's River Falls, had nothing good to say.

(but then again, that was why we decided to skip ANYTHING sayiong it was going there. Because you knew all 3,400 passengers were going to wind up there at some point.)

We tried to be optomistic and explore the town near the pier a bit.

Although we had been strenously warned every day up to that day by the ship's staff.

The warnings were not even close enough to explain just how bad the badgering by cabbies, vendors, shop keepers, etc. was....

We were back on board and enjoying basically another sea day, in less than 2 hours. (did enjoy Iron Man on the big screen at 1PM that day)

Basically....

Great ship.

Great staff.

Poor food service management.

Great itinerary, except for Ocho Rios.

To me it would be a home run itinerary if they would substitute Cozumel for Ocho Rios.

Bill

In my pictures there's a bunch from Bamboo Beach club. It's about a 1/2 hour drive on a cramped bus. Lots of food and drink.

Was on the Freedom for the New Year's cruise. Great ship, never seemed really crowded - well, except when you saw everyone on deck New Year's Eve you couldn't believe the amt. of people, but even then, we had room to watch the big screen. Maybe I eat at off times, didn't really watch the clock, but didn't have much of an issue with lines. Mongolian buffet was slow because cook to order. I hit that as soon as I boarded the ship so that I could try it. Tried it, good but didn't feel compelled to go again. Fish & Chips never busy. I even sat up there (go up stairs by the big Statue of Liberty) to find a quiet table when buffet area seemed crowded. I usually like the grilled burgers for lunch - avoid the one located by the center pool area & go to the one in the back of the ship. Usually wasn't much of a line.

PORTS & TOURS: Key West. Planned on doing Trolley but decided to walk down to Southernmost point, sat on the beach down there a bit (they rent beach chairs for $5. I thinki - we didn't bother with it, just sat on the sand for a little bit & put our feet in the water), walked past Truman's house but didn't go in (line & admission charge - family didn't want to see it badly enough to pay). Many bars with entertainment, which seemed like fun but DH didn't want our kids & their friends that traveled with us starting their drinking too early in the day (they did enough of that on the ship). Looked more in the stores. Friends who aren't the walkers we are did the on & off Trolly but never got off because there were always long lines of people waiting to get on a open trolly.

Grand Cayman - we booked on-line with Captain Marvin. Used them a couple of times before for the 11:15 a.m., 1 1/2 hr. snorkel/sting-ray tour (I think it was $35.). Always fun. Maybe 20 people on their boat compared to the large # going on ship sponsored tours. If your cruise is after we change the clocks for sprinG, keep in mind that Grand Cayman doesn't advance their clocks an hr. so plan accordingly. (If site says a tour ends at 2:00, it will really be 3:00 on ship's clock). The 1 1/2 hr. tour, is prob. equiv. to the ship's 2 1/2 or 3hr. tour since the ship accounts for meeting time, travel time to tour boat, etc. Cap't Marvin's doesn't count that as tour time. The storefront is only a 5 min. walk from the pier & a van driver takes you to where Cap't Marvin's boats are docked. Same for return.

Jamaica - you'll see a lot of negatives for this place but I have been there a few times & haven't had bad experiences (on occasion - though not this time - vendors can be aggresive in keep trying to get you to buy stuff but I can deal with that). We always go with a local tour - usually when we get there but this time we used Peat Taylor tours (recommended on CC Port of Call thread) and he was great. Highly recommend him. Did Dunn's River Falls (bring your own water shoes or you'll need to rent from "Sticky Feet Rentals"). Lot of fun. Went thru where shops were afterwards but no one pressured us to buy anything. Maybe too tired since New Year's Day or maybe they thought we were scarier looking than people think they are - lol. Also went to a high point to see Island. Couple of peoople selling stuff just hanging out there (kid about 10 yrs old asked my husband if he liked weed but when he said no moved on to offer to sell him a soda - lol). I didn't really ask prices on anything because I didn't want to get into the haggling but they were pleasant. I think because they prob. new Peat so don't hassle you as much. Bit of a shame they do this relentless bargaining cause I saw some nice handcarved stuff but didn't want to bother bargaining. Just tried to be pleasant but clear I wasn't interested with a firm "No thank you...but you have a happy, healthy New Year!" Sometimes I'd say, "It's beautiful work (which many were) but I really have no room in my suitcase for anything at all..but thanks anyway." & that seemed to do it. If they at all sense you are itimidated they will not leave you alone. We also went thru Fern Gully & Peat offered to take us to pottery factory, though we declined - too tired. Dropped us either at ship or shopping, we chose shopping but didn't buy much. Someone mentioned would prefer Coz..which is a port I love - many times there - , but must say last year we went there & the vedors were so rude I was shocked. Jamaicans were nicer than the sellers in Coz on our last trip.

Have a great time. It's a nice, fun ship.

I keep reading the posts about Ocho Rios, and wonder why anyone would do anything there besides an 'organized' tour thru a reputable independent tour company/guide!..:o

Wife and I were married in Ocho Rios in 2004, and the entire affair (which consisted of the wife and I and a CCL photographer) was wonderful... We had a 'local' driver, and he was probably the nicest 'cab' driver ever.. Took us to Shaw Park Gardens, where we were married.. Took us on a tour of the beautiful island, then into town to go shopping..:)

Were just in Ocho Rios this past December on the Freedom, and took a tour with Marva Shaw.. Actually our driver/tour guide was 'Lion King', but it was absolutely WONDERFUL as well.. We toured Shaw Park Gardens (again), Fern Gulley, the Wambassi (sp) Pottery Factory, the Jerk Center for lunch, etc.. Then into town to go shopping.. Against Lion Kings advice, we went into the 'Craft Market' to look for something.. The 'locals' were somewhat 'agressive', but then trying to make a living by selling crafts to cruise passengers, must be tough.. Bought two Red Stripes for $3.00 (He wanted $2.50 each), and were on our way...:p

Loved the Freedom.. and all the ports...!! Hope to do the same cruise again in the near future!!:D

ps: Mongolian Buffet line was always long (We get that at the local Chinese places, so don't need to 'wait in line' on a Cruise ship for that):rolleyes:.. Fish & Chips was never crowded, and the Deli line was quik..

IMHO! Just my observations...

I'm really having trouble with Ocho, though. My mom has physical limitations so the Falls are out. We're thinking of possibly doing the Bamboo Beach Club. We'll see!

Depending on how limited your mom's physical abilities are, if she could do some stairs, you could do the Falls & she could just follow along from a series of stairs/decks along side the falls. Either go down a couple of the flights & follow you up, which may be too much for her or else just wait on a bench at the deck closest to where you will finish up. As we prepared to walk down to the beach, we stopped at the first deck area for a picture & met a woman waiting with her grandbaby in a stroller for the parents to do the climb. Your mom would have to pay the $15. admission admission to the park area though, even though not climbing. It is a busy, safe area - no one selling stuff over by there - just a deck with benches & few people waiting for family or friends to finish. Of course it may be a boring wait for her though.

First time we went years ago our van driver took us to a point where we got out of the van & looked down thru some trees to see people climbing up the falls. We weren't in the park so didn't have to pay anything. Then after that we saw Fern Gully the island & did some shopping. If with Peat Taylor & you're there on a school day, his wife is a teacher & he offered orig. when booking on-line to take to meet some of the Jamaican school kids but we were there 1/1 & school was closed.

I don't really know anything about Bamboo Beach Club though to tell you anything about that.

We went to Panama on the Freedom last month and we loved it. The lines were long in the Buffet, I have to admit.

BUT...it seemed to me that the hamburgers and hot dogs they fixed on both ends of the Freedom Buffet Restaurant were better than most. I had a sausage dog really..and it was excellent. My husband had the hamburger and sausage dog every day. I soon followed him. The line was seldom long...the hamburgers or cheeseburgers were fixed just right...the condiments of lettuce, tomato, onion were pre fixed and the french fries were excellent.

I also did the pizza because of the long lines. Carnival does pizza as well as anyone..but I thought they put too much cheese on their pizza ( never thought I would fuss about that) and sometimes the basil was strong. The pizzas were still good..but on the Glory...they are Supreme.

We ate our heads off...except we did not eat between meals..and as our room was way at the front of the ship..and we ate at the back of the ship..we did some walking. .I only gained about three pounds. And that must have been water..because it went in a few days.

The salads fixings were excellent. Their Thousand Island Dressing tasted like battery acid. Someone should thin it down with mayo. the blue cheese was good.

I never did find the Mexican station...until the last day we were aboard. It was in the back part...on the left side. It started out like the regular line with salad fixings...then you saw the real tacos and such.

My husband did the Mongolian Grill once. It was good he said..but he did not do it again. The food in the Dining Room was good. And we had one breakfast in the Dining Room...and we enjoyed that far more than we thought we would.

We also had a really good dinner in the Supper Club one night. The steak was really as good as people rave about. I had a mushroom sauce ..I shared with my husband who ordered lobster and received two big lobster tails..and I thought he would lick the mushroom sauce dish.

Dessert was....I still don't know what you call it. It was beyond good..a lot of it..chocolate and cheesecake and white chocolate...

When it was over..... I felt like I had swallowed a Watermelon. I really did...but I still think of that steak...it was perfection. AND I am not all that much of a meat eater. It is sixty dollars..or OBC if you have..and if you can...go. It is just such a special night...even for oldsters like my DH and myself.

Archived