Anyone dove in Puerto Rico ?

santacruzer53

Yes, it is possible to get in some dives, but the quality won't be all that stellar. To my knowledge, there is little diving in San Juan, only some shore diving at one of the hotels, which I can't recall the name of.

The good quality diving is several hours away from San Juan and as such not readily visited by cruise divers. With your port times, you might be able to arrange something, but personally, I'd just do a rain forest tour instead.

I am doing a dive arranged through ShoreTrips on my upcoming Solstice trip. I know it won't be Bonaire conditions but any chanve to get wet... And as an added bonus it will be in warm, clear Caribbean waters (as opposed to my normal conditions of the cold St Lawrence River). I am doing the Small Fish Encounter.

I have never dived Peurto Rico but from what I understand the best diving is off the southwest part of the island thus probably putting you out of reach of the best dive sites.

True, the best diving is off the southwest/west coast, a few hour's drive from San Juan. Theoretically, you could rent a car and drive round-trip to Guanica or La Parguera, but not in time to do morning dives. Forget about Aguadilla or Mayaguez. Possibly Vieques or Culebra, but I'd say it's not worth the effort.

• 3 weeks later...
I am doing a dive arranged through ShoreTrips on my upcoming Solstice trip. I know it won't be Bonaire conditions but any chance to get wet... And as an added bonus it will be in warm, clear Caribbean waters (as opposed to my normal conditions of the cold St Lawrence River). I am doing the Small Fish Encounter.

I'm back from my cruise. Diving in San Juan was ...OK... Just the DM and myself, about 40 minutes tootling around a bay just outside a breakwater, about 25 feet max and 15ft viz. Nothing to write home about and definitley not the highlight of my trip. For what it was and the available conditions it was acceptable, but I would have been better off putting my money towards a Segway tour or something else. I think one of the main problems is that we got into San Juan so late that there was not much time available - no chance to travel any distance to a better site (if there is one available). My recommendation would be dive in another port and use SJ for a shore based trip or shopping (or like my wife - stay on board).

Thanks Bruce.. then my next stop will be.. St kitts, Dominica, St Lucia.. Tortola. Cruise diving is an adventure

Two years ago when we did a S. Caribbean cruise, we flew to Puerto Rico for 6 days pre-cruise. We went to La Parquera (2.5 hr drive) for 2 days diving the Parquera Wall. Then 2 days at Rincon, with one day diving at Desecheo Island. Both were good.

There was not good diving at San Juan. We stayed at Caribe Hilton ($65 thru priceline), and they supposedly had snorkeling. When I went to where they said is the area, it looked small/confined at not to clear. We didn't bothered to get wet there.

You'll find good diving at St. Lucia and Dominica. Don't have experience at the other two ports, but should still be good warm clear Caribbean diving.

I stayed at the Hilton and dove next door. Great 2 days of diving in the bay. The swim is more challaging then I thought it would be. Glad I did it.

Caribe Aquatic Adventures... Say hi to Carol

I'm back from my cruise. Diving in San Juan was ...OK... Just the DM and myself, about 40 minutes tootling around a bay just outside a breakwater, about 25 feet max and 15ft viz. Nothing to write home about and definitley not the highlight of my trip. For what it was and the available conditions it was acceptable, but I would have been better off putting my money towards a Segway tour or something else. I think one of the main problems is that we got into San Juan so late that there was not much time available - no chance to travel any distance to a better site (if there is one available). My recommendation would be dive in another port and use SJ for a shore based trip or shopping (or like my wife - stay on board).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived