Mayan Ruins Tour

NKG6002

You should be very careful in purchasing vanilla in Mexico. It can contain ingredients banned by the FDA. Go to www.snopes.com and search Mexican Vanilla.

Well, that's interesting and a little scary. I just checked my bottle. It lists the ingredients (which sound good) and it also specifically states "This product does not contain coumarin." I hope that means I can trust it.

I know comarin is one ingredient that can cause liver problems....I found that out the hard way when I took cinnamon pills to help in weight loss.....cinnamon containes coumarin and my liver enzymes shot way up sending me to a nephrologist for what felt like a quart of blood being taken for tests and a 24 hour urine collection (LOTS of fun!). I figured it all out on my own since tests a week prior to starting the pills were normal.

I'm not sure if coumarin is the only ingredient to be concerned about. The site did say the warning was in large amounts which we don't normally do with cinnamon or vanilla.

Perhaps, you wore a Blazing Saddle, and it brought you here to save the town!:D Or, the Mayan Ruins!

Oh, Ms. Belp, now I have to make sure I am not drinking when I read your posts - the way I do when I read Mbisson's. :D

You should be very careful in purchasing vanilla in Mexico. It can contain ingredients banned by the FDA. Go to www.snopes.com and search Mexican Vanilla.

Interesting-we've always bought it in Belize or Honduras

(sounds though like much of the problem isn't with genuine vanilla, but with imitation or mislabeled imitation vanilla. And it also sounded to me like it's more of a problem in the border towns than elsewhere)

I bought a bottle of vanilla for one of the ladies in the office on our last cruise. She smelled it, and said she would probably keep it for other treats than the office. It did make me wonder.:confused:

Our friends that we gave it to are hounding us for more...but I can't get them to contribute to my cruise fund to help me get there (so I can get it for them)

Our friends that we gave it to are hounding us for more...but I can't get them to contribute to my cruise fund to help me get there (so I can get it for them)

Maybe they are drinking it, instead of baking with it!:) Put a cruise tip jar out, next time you see them. You can label it "vanilla fund".:D

Archived