Which ruins? ~Cozumel or Costa Maya?

blestmom3

I am heading to both Cozumel & Costa Maya in March and want to visit some ruins. I would like opinions as to which ruins are better to visit? I am considering the Chocchoben Extreme Tour with Native Choice Tours in Costa Maya or a visit to Tulum in Cozumel. I am a 40 yr. old woman traveling with my sister and our mother who is 70 yr old (but healthy & in great shape.) Thanks for the advice!

I have been only to Tulum via Cozumel and Lamanai in Belize. Both were full day excursions.

Tulum was was by bus trip. The trip is long but included a stop for a snack at a small market. Cold drinks were included on the bus. Tulum was spectacular, but much of the ruins are protected by being roped off, and photos were restricted in order to protect the remaining artestry.

Just a note, be sure to wear sun protection and a hat as there is little or no shade. The view from the cliffs is spectacular and worth the trip.

For Belize we opted for the New River and Lamanai excursion. The trip begins by bus and includes history and information about today's Belize. You are taking to a dock area and onto a motorized boat. Cool breeze and a chance to see wildlife. After a lenghtly but enjoyable ride, we docked at the landing and were fed a delicious lunch. Then to the ruins. In Lamanai we were permitted to climb the ruins and it was more "up close and personal", and included the howler monkeys and rain forest experience. Also an arts and crafts area. I preferred the Lamanai trip because so much was included. We had the opporunity to meet people and learn a lot about the culture and history. A little more personal I guess than the Tulum trip.

I have also done Lamanai, which is a long tour but very unique.

Did a plain tour to Chacchoben and back. This is about 1/2 day. There are 3 large excavated temples and some staircases and foundations. It is in a pretty setting with plenty of large palms and shade trees - but it will be hot. Have not taken the Extreme tour. Chacchoben will probably involve shorter transit time than Tulum (you have to ferry across from Cozumel).

Thanks for the feedback! If we decide to do the "extreme" tour, it will include a trip to Laguna Azure (a resort by a lagoon) for lunch at a restaurant and some time to swim, kayak or canoe in the lagoon. That part sounds great to me! On the Native Choice web site, the price quoted for the extreme tour is the same as the cruise ship price for only the ruins tour plus box lunch. I would love to hear from someone who has already done this extreme tour.

I have also heard that the beach & view behind Tulum is breathtakingly beautiful. I wonder if this would outweigh the beauty of the lagoon in Costa Maya?

Thanks again!

Alyson

Archived