Cunard/QM2 NEWS and Discussion 11/04

Winchester

While we're discussing Cunards plans for redesign, I viewed a very detailed photo of a Q5 balcony and it appears that one would be sitting down trying to look over the top of a lifeboat. What were they thinking about when they designed all these suite balconies? The duplex suite balconies are directly in view of the entire rear pool area with no privacy whatsoever and those on the side are semi obstructed by the lifeboats. I'm not trying to bash the ship, I think it's beautiful and can't wait to sail her. However, they should have put lower categories on deck 9 and moved the higher cats up higher. I gasp at the prices people are paying for Cat Q's, and would be very disappointed with these balconies, paying that kind of money. The more I see, the more I believe that we'll be very happy with our in hull balcony. Now of course, if the Q's go unsold and Cunard wants to upgrade us, we'll suffer thru it like good soldiers.:D

While we're discussing Cunards plans for redesign, I viewed a very detailed photo of a Q5 balcony and it appears that one would be sitting down trying to look over the top of a lifeboat. What were they thinking about when they designed all these suite balconies? The duplex suite balconies are directly in view of the entire rear pool area with no privacy whatsoever and those on the side are semi obstructed by the lifeboats. I'm not trying to bash the ship, I think it's beautiful and can't wait to sail her. However, they should have put lower categories on deck 9 and moved the higher cats up higher. I gasp at the prices people are paying for Cat Q's, and would be very disappointed with these balconies, paying that kind of money. The more I see, the more I believe that we'll be very happy with our in hull balcony. Now of course, if the Q's go unsold and Cunard wants to upgrade us, we'll suffer thru it like good soldiers.:D

We had suite 9044 on the maiden voyage and did not find that the lifeboats interfered with the view at all. I'd say deck 9 is the best deck for the Queens Grill suites as it is an unobstucted view but not so high up where the motion of the ship is felt more.

Craig

I guess I must had misjudged the picture. I thought that sitting on the lounger would put the top on the lifeboats in view. When you were sitting and looking downward, were the lifeboats blocking any of your view of the water? If not, my apologies to the designers for that portion of my previous post.:o

Our little group of those on the January 29 cruise is growing. Welcome Smoochiepuddin and friends. Atticus, I agree. After our 10 day cruise last year, 7 days is going to go by much too quickly! All of us except Dave and Mary are taking our second cruise on the QM2. Everyone must have had a very postive experience. We certainly did. Hope to get a roll call started soon.

Mary and I can't wait to meet those of you going on the 1/29 cruise. How can we not have fun, going on a cruise on the ship of all ships . If nothing else we can say "We were on the QM II" and its sounds like some of you can say ,"yeah we were on the QM II for at least the second time or more."

Dear Winchester-

Thanks for the update. It was very informative. That is what I love about the 'Cruisecritic' boards. Not only do you get an overview of one's onboard impression, you also see how a ship/cruise line is evolving. The changes you mentioned sound exciting.

I've not traveled on a Princess ship, so I am not aware of the quality of the food or their menu selection. I am assuming it is better than what I received the last time I was on the QM2? Fish Tacos, purple cabbage and tuna, etc... didn't really appeal to me.

I wonder what the entertainment will be like? I think the QM2 attracts a wonderful clientele where socializing is keeps you busy, but there wasn't much to do on my voyage till the Bullards' threw a 'Burn's Party' in the pub at their own expense. What does Princess offer that they can adopt to the QM2?

I hope you will keep us updated with more info.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Sorry I missed your review in November, sounds as if they are planning some good changes for my favorite ship.

I will hold off booking again until 2006 after they have put her in drydock. Would be a good way to celebrate our 50th anniversary.

I was on the Jan 15 - 22 Caribbean - I was on QE2 June 2003. After reading all the negatives on QM2, I went aboard with some hesitation - What a surprise - I could not find a single thing wrong - had I been reading about the same ship? I liked the King's Court - perhaps the layout could be improved a little, but I thought the variety of food was really good. I think the Winter Garden is under used. It is a beautiful room - on our trip, I noticed it was used a lot for private group parties and the art auction, one day. We had good service (5076 hull balcony), good food. We made it a point to visit every public room and sit and enjoy it - loved all the piano player's on board and jazz band, orchestra in Queen's Room - thought the entertainment was good. Loved the sail away parties every afternoon from port - what could be better than sitting in a hot tub watching the sunset with a band playing? For such a large ship, I felt it had a nice intimacy about it. Thought the decor and artwork were beautiful - I am a nostalgia buff, so it really fit my style - all the posters of the stars - what a glamorous time that was and being on board made you feel you were back in the 40's - I hope whatever changes they make will only make it better.

I can confirm that Winchester has heard things correctely. When we were last onboard in august we were speaking to a senior member of staff (I am not willing to give out names though) who told us that the Kings court will be radically altered when she goes in for drydocking. There will also be other changes to the deck 7 area in esponse to passenger comments. Constructive cristicism is always needed in a new project and I think it is a good sign that comments that have been made are being passed on and acted upon. The ship-fitters can work at amazing speeds, remeber when she had to have smoke detectors in all the bathrooms? That was done in under 12hours during a standard turn around at southampton. We are going to go on her again in December and will be delighted to post a review of the changes. (We are going to have to change the October one unfortunately) I am sure any and all changes will go to make her a much grander liner and we'll here less complaints about these areas.

• 1 month later...

Lexxity,

I am sorry but I have to disagree with your posting. I was onboard QM2 Feb 5-12th and talking with Andrea who is the manager of the King's Court. Many of you might remember her from the QE2, she was in charge of the Lido.

We happened to mentioned some of the concerns we had about the Kings Court. We also mentioned what we heard on the CC board about changes to the Kings court. She said that most of the changes would be only slight and most of them cosmetic. She said and I quote 'the QM2 isn't in drydock long enough to really change the Kings Court'. What she did say is that there are plans to remove the glass ceiling & walkway between Lotus & the Carvery. This will allow for more seating and relieve some of the congestions problems.

We also talked about the signage issues and they keep trying to address them. At one point there were colour coded overhead signs indicating the section. These signs were magnetic and could be changed during the day but they were too heavy and kept falling. On a brighter note Andrea did mention that she is trying to get more seating space by taking some of the Winter Garden. It wasn't something she really wanted to do but confirmed that Cunard is working very hard a correcting the problems in the Kings Court.

Bruce

I can confirm that Winchester has heard things correctely. When we were last onboard in august we were speaking to a senior member of staff (I am not willing to give out names though) who told us that the Kings court will be radically altered when she goes in for drydocking. There will also be other changes to the deck 7 area in esponse to passenger comments. Constructive cristicism is always needed in a new project and I think it is a good sign that comments that have been made are being passed on and acted upon. The ship-fitters can work at amazing speeds, remeber when she had to have smoke detectors in all the bathrooms? That was done in under 12hours during a standard turn around at southampton. We are going to go on her again in December and will be delighted to post a review of the changes. (We are going to have to change the October one unfortunately) I am sure any and all changes will go to make her a much grander liner and we'll here less complaints about these areas.

Princess's CEO was handed Cunard on a silver platter by Mssr. Arison and surely, Cunard will now perform to Princess's standards or else! Honestly, I can only imaging that the product will be improved once Princess gets through re-tooling it.

As only a handful of Cunard staff (less than 20) moved out to Los Angeles, Cunard is truly being run by Princess. But from all accounts, only after the Princess takeover do things seem to be improving. And while the Princess product might be somewhat bland, they're a seamless and efficient organization. I imagine the next time I sail on QM2, she'll be a vastly different and BETTER ship than when I sailed on her for the first time.

Are you insane? Princess will somehow improve on Cunard? How? By adding a rock-climbing wall to the forecastle? Limbo contests amongst the waiters bringing the dessert trays? "Come As Your Favourite Titanic Survivor" nights in the Officers' Wardroom? I can't wait for the Pancho Villa Tequila Shooter and Wet T-Shirt Extravaganza scheduled to preceed the Sunday non-denominational service. Nearer, my God-awful, to Thee.

There are a hundred tacky cruise barges out there for you to waste your money on. Why do you applaud the destruction of the last true ocean liner operation on the face of the earth?

Richsard Schmidt

Originally Posted by Windrunner I

"..........And while the Princess product might be somewhat bland, they're a seamless and efficient organization....."

Bland is the operative but unfortunate word. One might expect a cruise to Hawaii and back to be an experience .... yet Princess managed to make it very ordinary - like their ships have become really !!! Sorry, but I used to be a big fan of Princess but seamless and efficient organisation alone do not make for a great onboard experience. Cunard service on Caronia was amazingly good - that's what the powers that be ought to be aiming for on QM2, not Princess regimentation.

Archived