New England/Canada weather

tigerdadky

Anyone who has taken the Oct. cruise to New England/Canada. Can you tel me what kind of weather I can expect. Looking at the Oct 3rd sailing on the Triumph out of NYC. Any other details about this cruise would be greatly appreciated. Like where is the best place to eat lobster in Maine and what not to miss in the port of calls. Thanks.

Anyone who has taken the Oct. cruise to New England/Canada. Can you tel me what kind of weather I can expect. Looking at the Oct 3rd sailing on the Triumph out of NYC. Any other details about this cruise would be greatly appreciated. Like where is the best place to eat lobster in Maine and what not to miss in the port of calls. Thanks.

Hi there,

I was working on board the Victory when she did her last Canada cruise out of new york. I can tell you to be prepared for fog and a lot of it while at sea the closer you get to Canada. When we were in port the weather was usually sunny but on the cool side, sweat shirt weather with the exception on St. John. Because where the city is located it was always overcast or foggy. There were times i could not see the pier in the afternoon coming back to the ship. The day may start out with some sun but the fog always rolled back in. Halifax was great, cool again but sunny.

As for getting a lobster in Portland, where you are going to dock is in the old fishing piers of down town. almost anywhere you go you'll beable to find a nice place. One place that I can remember is a family owned place that has been in Portland for years. I forget the name of it but once you get off the ship and out of security there will be a Parking garrage right in fromt of you. crooss the street and keep the garrage on your left. head down the street for a few blocks and there is a resteraunt on your left out on one of the piers. It has a arched entryway to the pier with a restored ferry boat tied up to the pier which houses the dinning room. Great place and like I said family owned in Portland and has been around for years.

Hope this helps, cruising to Canada is much different then cruising the Caribbian and Mexico, but still a great deal to see and do.

Tigerdadky, as the previous poster stated we do get a lot of fog, so make sure to bring a sweater or light jacket.

Saint John has great fresh lobster (my DH will not eat the lobster on our last cruise as it was not Atlantic lobster, he said there is a big flavor difference). I would recommend Billy's Seafood Restaurant in the City Market, they also have great fish & chips and planked salmon. Or you can get a lobster roll at Lord's Fish & Chips (City Market), one of my favorite take-outs.

Not sure if you are planning to take an excursion, but if you have a chance to go to St. Martin's they also have two seafood restaurants that are know for their Seafood chowder.

Have a great cruise.

Was if foggy when you sailed out of NYC. What sights can you see on the sail away.

A couple times but only because the weather was really really bad. Usually you will be able to see Lady Liberty, Ellis Island and New Jersey off the Starboard side and all of NY off the Port.

Once we left New York we only encountered fog at night and almost always after Portland.

We had our best weather to Canada in late September/early October. In fact, on our first sailing to the maritimes, I had packed warm and expected to see early Fall foliage. I was glad I had packed a pair of shorts to sleep in.

Our coolest sailing turned out to be July, riddled with fog.

We too enjoyed a nice lunch meal at Billy's at the top of the city market. Nice chowder, and delicious fish and chips.

I would have LOVED to been able to take this back onboard for chef to prepare:

2741752210057720145GyAoIs_th.jpg

click to enlarge

Archived