What to do with luggage on way home, later flight?

holdon216

We have a 5:40pm flight out of San Juan after getting off The Victory, on a Sunday. We DO NOT have Carnival transfers. Any suggestions on what we can do with our luggage so we do not have to stay at the airport all afternoon?? Can we check the luggage in earlier and then possibly walk around San Juan? Is there anything within walking distance of the airport?

TY

You can only check in to your flight 6 hours prior to it...not a minute sooner. I THINK most airports have a place where you can store your luggage. We discovered this while at MIA a couple weeks ago...although we discovered it a little late (we had already been sitting waiting to check in for about 90 minutes :rolleyes:). Finally, we could check in and then went to South Beach for a few hours before returning to MIA....had we known about this locked up area to store bags we'd have used it. Next time we definitely will.

Maybe you can check on line to make sure the airport has a facility like this (or maybe it's standard that most larger airports do????) But there's a good chance that you'll be able to store the luggage. :) Let us know how you make out.

Have a great cruise!!!

Not sure what airline you're on but they do provide Luggage Express in

San Juan. For $20pp Carnival takes your suitcase and delivers it to the

airport. You need to book this a day or two prior to end of cruise. You

will receive notice of this in your room.

Another option is that accross the street from the pier is a little place

that will keep your luggage for you while you tour Old San Juan. Forgot

the cost.........but very reasonable.

One of the two options above would be my choice as there is not much

of anything near the airport to do and Plenty to do in Old San Juan for

the day.

We booked Jose' Segway tour at the end of our cruise. And while we had already paid the $20 pp fee for Luggage to be taken to the airport. Jose volunteered to let us store our luggage there while on the tour. He locks his store when everyone is out on tours. And he even volunteered to keep our carry on after the tour was over, while we went for lunch and did a little shopping.

This tour was a great way to see Old San Juan and Jose' and his wife are very very nice and also very knowledgable. Check them out.

Go on the rainforest tour .It was GREAT Try to go with FRank an older gentleman .His knowledge is amazing WE really enjoyed him

you get your luggage,go thru customs and find your tour .Grab a porter it's quicker

They will load your luggage on the bus and after tour drop you off at the airport

I have done this many times

Last Jan we went to the Everglades and Flamingo Gardens -VERY nICe

It beat sitting at the airport for HOURS

In your carry -on carry your warm clothes if you live in the cold like I do change at the airport

Bon Voyage

We will be on Victory in March

Did you guys not feel safe booking the 11:45 to EWR? I am currently debating whether to do the 11:45 or 5:40. Plan on self debarking early, but also don't want to chance. I am really torn.

Also not sure if it differs cruise to cruise but last year on the Legend Continental was not included in Carnival's luggage program if my mind serves me correctly.

We often take later flights because we buy non refundable tickets. So we always rent a car when we get into port. The rental car place usually will pick you up and the port and drop you off at the airport. The cost is usually $30-$60 depending on your port city. We find this works very well for us and we don't have to worry about our luggage.

We were just there yesterday..my advice is to do the luggage express. It gives you priority in leaving the ship, we were off by 9:00 or so. It gives you boarding passes, so it cuts off one whole line of waiting at the airport, and it gives you easy luggage handling. We went to the beach via cab, Casa Verde, and had a nice morning-early afternoon. Got to the airport about 2 hours before the flight. This airport sucks, especially on a Sunday. There are more people then chairs..very crowded.Stay away as long as you can.

This is what we did with our luggage in San Juan, January 2008(from my review):

"Debarkation was relatively painless. We woke at 7, showered and ate in the dining room. Our group number (8) was called to the big lounge, where they were very organized. We waited about 45 minutes, then went through customs quickly. We were off the ship by 9:30. We walked across the street to store our luggage at Audio Guia, as we had a 6 pm flight home. Luggage storage is per bag; we paid a total of $10. We took the free trolley to El Morro and enjoyed walking around there. We had lunch at Hard Rock Café and walked around Old San Juan. Taxi to the airport was $21."

We were just there yesterday..my advice is to do the luggage express. It gives you priority in leaving the ship, we were off by 9:00 or so. It gives you boarding passes, so it cuts off one whole line of waiting at the airport, and it gives you easy luggage handling. We went to the beach via cab, Casa Verde, and had a nice morning-early afternoon. Got to the airport about 2 hours before the flight. This airport sucks, especially on a Sunday. There are more people then chairs..very crowded.Stay away as long as you can.

The cruise director on the Liberty stated that getting priority debarkation is not true. He said you can actually be delayed if your luggage is picked by customs to be searched.

Did you guys not feel safe booking the 11:45 to EWR? I am currently debating whether to do the 11:45 or 5:40. Plan on self debarking early, but also don't want to chance. I am really torn.

Also not sure if it differs cruise to cruise but last year on the Legend Continental was not included in Carnival's luggage program if my mind serves me correctly.

We easily made our 11:45 flight out of San Juan when we used the self debarking in December. We were at the airport before 9:00.

For the OP, there are a few hotels near the pier, no need for the bellman to know you're not staying there when you tip them to watch your bags.

The last two years leaving San Juan we had a late flight and left the ship for Airport checked our bags and caught a taxi to a local beach that had a bar and grill across the street. So maybe it depended on the airlines but American took our luggage early. I do remember seeing a place that would also hold your luggage at the airport not sura of any details.

THANKS for all the replys. I think the Audio Guia thing sounds good, as far as just droping the bags off there. What exactly is Audio Guia anyways?

We booked the later flight so we would not have to race around on the last day of vacation. Vacations go by fast enough.

Can you tell me more about this rainforest tour? How long is it? Where can you get picked up for it? AND of course how much is it?

Looking for something other then the beach. Don't want to fly 4 hours home feeling sticky with sand.

TT all!!!!

I just googled Audio Guia. It looks like they will stop doing luggage storage in March.

From their website:

Important News!

As you know AudioGuia Corp. has been offering a luggage storage service for cruise passengers for almost 6 years.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to continue to offer this service after March 15th, 2009. The option to hold luggage for another year was not made available to us.

We are very sorry for any inconveniences this may cause. The audiotours service will continue.

FOILED AGAIN!!! Just when a plan was coming together. Now where can the bags go?? Someone mentioned Barrachina Restaurant on Fortaleza St. takes bags for a suggested tip of $5.00. Anyone know about this and why oh why would a restaurant take in bags???

From NJ, just not soooo trusting :confused:

How far is this from the port??

Holdon,

Not sure if it still holds true but I searched the forum and here and saw that some have said Continental is a member of the Baggage Express thing where Carnival takes it right to the plane and gets the boarding pass. This wasn't the case for CO in Tampa. If it is true might a good option, it is what we will probably end up doing and then taking the 540 flight.

FOILED AGAIN!!! Just when a plan was coming together. Now where can the bags go?? Someone mentioned Barrachina Restaurant on Fortaleza St. takes bags for a suggested tip of $5.00. Anyone know about this and why oh why would a restaurant take in bags???

Barrachina's is highly trustworthy. It does not cost anything to leave bags there - yes, you should tip but it's not required. It would be a short taxi ride away from Pier 4.

Coco, we do not have transfers thru Carnival. I was told previously that they get 20.00 per bag, or something like that. I am not going to pay 60.00 to have my bags taken to the airport. Thats just way to much.

When are you going?? Is it the Victory your going on?? Out of lovely Newark NJ??

I am somewhat worried about taking a later flight prior to the cruise. I was told by Carnival agent we could not board the ship till around 5pm. Figured what would we do all day if we got in on the noon flight. So booked later flight. Now i have come to find many are getting on the ship by 1pm or so. We fly into San Juan at 4:30pm.

Barrachina's is about a 15 minute walk from the pier. I have no idea why they would store luggage, but they are a legit business that has been there forever (the Pina Colada was invented there).

Archived