GSC - Price to rent snorkeling vest

Maryfrei

I maybe very wrong here as we do not snorkel, but my understanding is the vests are only required if you go on NCL's "roped off" snorkel area out around that outcropping of rocks that is a ways off shore. But if you bring snorkel equipment with you to the beach and you just use them on your own around the beach areas and close to shore, are you stil required to have on a vest? If so, why wouldn't they make every one who gets in the water wear one.

I maybe very wrong here as we do not snorkel, but my understanding is the vests are only required if you go on NCL's "roped off" snorkel area out around that outcropping of rocks that is a ways off shore. But if you bring snorkel equipment with you to the beach and you just use them on your own around the beach areas and close to shore, are you stil required to have on a vest? If so, why wouldn't they make every one who gets in the water wear one.

We always snorkel on the right of the tender lane, (facing the island). Even though that side isn't roped off, and we bring our own masks and snorkels, they did require us to use the vests. We were actually stopped once by an attendant! I'm not sure what the difference is between snorkelers and ordinary swimmers, except that if you keep your face in the water for a long time it is pretty easy to lose track of where you are, and perhaps get farther away than intended.

My husband and I were on the Sky in November and took our daily newspaper with us ashore. I think they had misprinted something because it stated vests were free if you had your own equipment. We showed our "proof" and were issued free vests! I wish I would have saved it to use on my upcoming cruise. I don't even uses fins when I snorkel and I hate using the vest. I really am going to hate paying for it!!

I know that there are those who think that this is yet another NCL idea to get more money out of their customers. And, you may be right. I won't argue with you about your opinion.

I'm just thinking though that is has to be some sort of liability issue. Are there stronger currents out where you snorkle? Can it be rougher out where the snorkel area is? Are there a lot of first time snorklers? I don't know as I've only been to GSC once and it was too cold to even swim, let alone snorkle. But, I can just see some lawyer claiming that NCL knew about the strong current yet just gave a 1st time snorkler a mask and fins and sent them on their way. For those swimming, NCL isn't charging them to swim, nor are they even informed that passenger X is going to swim. They aren't involved in the that decision so I would think that the liability for swimmers would be much different then those they rent snorkle equipment to. For those that bring their own equipment, I'd think that they simply just enforce the no snokling without a vest to keep it simple.

I just recently bought a snorkle vest as I'm getting older and the last time I snorkled, I was pretty out of breath after fighting a pretty strong current. I didn't like the feeling and would have been much more comfortable in a vest. So, I'm planning on using one all the time from now on when I snorkle and thought I may as well make the investment as opposed to renting. I realize though that it's a personal choice for many and why many don't want to wear one.

CG

The fact is all the water, and the beach up to the high tide mark, in the Bahamas is public property. NCL can't force you to wear a vest on public property. I have never made an issue of it on the other cruise lines "Private Islands" I just go down the beach a ways do what I want. Have never been to NCL's island and I understand it is smaller than some of the others but this makes no difference other than it's hard to get away from the main area.

I was happy to have a vest on, especially going out around the rock area (on your left as you tender in). I wish I was thinkin' before the cruise, I would have bought vests for all of us to have with us. I agree with CruisinGram, I like a vest all the time. Didn't have one in Belize and wished I did because I spent time worrying about floating out to sea instead of enjoying myself with the fish (and scratchy coral -- OUCH! I left some blood in the water there). I'm just more relaxed with the vest.

Archived