San Juan ?? HELP!

Maddy

Hello,

I am looking into San Juan for a pre-cruise stay. So far, everythinng seems astronomically expensive there. I am not sure I am brave enough to try Priceline. :rolleyes: Any input from past cruisers that have experience in the area would be greatly appreciated.

I will be staying for one night on March 5th. I have been doing some research this morning on P.R. I assume I need to stay in the north region, San Jan. I called one place and they only do 3 day stays.:(

Hmm, I know Priceline works, but I have been reading on a site about bidding, and it sure makes the process sound complicated! What if they put me too far away from the airport, or the boat?!

I have found a site that has lists of hotels, w/photos and websites.. I guess its a start! FYI.. its 79* there already today.. sounds lovely compared to the SNOW that we woke up to today in Maine!!!

Hi there. We've used Priceline numerous times for San Juan departures, and have always been pleased. The last time we went out of SJ, we got a Wyndham for $69. My daughter did as well.

Location isn't a major factor since taxis really aren't that bad. Also, be sure you know where your ship leaves from. Holland, the last one we took, did not leave out of the main downtown Old San Juan dock.

Greetings from a fellow Mainer...we too, had a little bit of snow this morning as well. First of the year. Wanted to sail on the Destiny on March 5th but between airfare and hotels to SJU, it was just too expensive (in my opinion). One hotel I did find that looked good for a one-night stay is the Comfort Inn. Rates for high season were under $100 which includes breakfast. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com. I believe parking was free but am not sure on that one. Priceline hotels for SJU in the winter seem really difficult to land but maybe that won't be the case this year. Good luck!

Greetings from a fellow Mainer...we too, had a little bit of snow this morning as well. First of the year. Wanted to sail on the Destiny on March 5th but between airfare and hotels to SJU, it was just too expensive (in my opinion). One hotel I did find that looked good for a one-night stay is the Comfort Inn. Rates for high season were under $100 which includes breakfast. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com. I believe parking was free but am not sure on that one. Priceline hotels for SJU in the winter seem really difficult to land but maybe that won't be the case this year. Good luck!

Hello!

I am in central Maine..(skowhegan area ) I shopped tons of sites for a price on the cruise .. We ended up on the 9th floor for a total of $1981. including insurance. I didnt think this was too bad. I am still surfing air lines, I will wait a bit on that booking. I think I can get better airfare as the gas prices comedown a bit. So my husband says.. lol

I have been looking at the comfort in as well. I have read some stories here about $100 taxi cab rides so I am making sure that the hotel is within affordable guidelines for transportation.

Hello -

Location of a hotel in San Juan is NOT a major issue. If you use priceline you will be choosing the San Juan option. This would include Old San Juan, Isla Verde and Condado areas. All of these areas are within minutes of the Piers for the cruise ships. Taxis all have set rates from one zone to another. Regardless of where you are staying your taxi should be no more than 16.00 to 25.00, depending on how many bags you have. Most, if not all the taxi drivers know which pier any given ship departs from...they take fares to the ships all the time, week after week! Most of the drivers are terrific, very friendly and courteous! I am sure there are stories and complaints of issues but I have yet to find a stinker in the bunch! San Juan is a marvelous city, mush to see and do. It's not just a rest stop it is a destination in and of itself.

Bon Voyage!

JH,

Thanks for some useful information. I looked at the post again about the high taxi fare and they were actually going from the boat to Hyatt Dorado. They paid 90 one way and 100 on return! I just did not want to get into this situation of picking something less expesive and paying such an astronomical cab fare. If that was the case I would pick the 200/night room! hehe

Putting some serious thought into Priceline, however, I have to ask our companion travellers first. I did see that Comfort Inn is 107/night. Have you stayed there before??

Hey Maddie -

I assume you figured it out already but just in cause the Dorado is in a different town than San Juan. So there is no chance you would get that property off priceline with a San Juan bid. In fact that is where we are staying in January for 3 nights but we are renting a car.

Never stayed at the Comfort Inn. Check TripAdvisor.com there are reviews there of almost all San Juan Properties. Keep in mind that Puerto Rican standards are different than a "Holiday Inn" on the mainland. Most of the time what would be considered 2 star here would be more like a three star there. Personally I would book the Comfort Inn IF it would a cancelable reservation. Then take a shot at Priceline. You have nothing to lose if they don't take your bid you pay nothing. But MANY folks have gotten a great deal on priceline for less money. I would try a 3 star or resort property for less money than the Comfort Inn and see what happens. You will see your exact costs on priceline before you authorization a bid. Check it out. I have gotten many great deals that way!

Best of luck!

Hey Maddie -

I assume you figured it out already but just in cause the Dorado is in a different town than San Juan. So there is no chance you would get that property off priceline with a San Juan bid. In fact that is where we are staying in January for 3 nights but we are renting a car.

Never stayed at the Comfort Inn. Check TripAdvisor.com there are reveiwes there of almost all San Juan Porperties. Keep in mind that Pueerto Rican standards are different than a "Holiday Inn" on the mainland. Most of the time what would be considered 2 star here would be more like a three star there. Personally I would book the Comfort Inn IF it would a cancelable reservation. Then take a shot at Priceline. You have nothing to lose if they don't take your bid you pay nothing. But MANY folks have gotten a great deal on priceline for less money. I would try a 3 star or resort property for less money than the Comfort Inn and see what happens. You will see your exact costs on priceline before you authorization a bid. Check it out. I have gotten many great deals that way!

Best of luck!

Hey Maddy - you're only about 25 miles from me...we live in Newport. Small world! Good rate on your cruise. Checked airfare from Bangor and it's very high...around $600 per person. Portland is about the same. I think even from Boston it's still $400+. Good luck on your quest for a hotel! I'd try the Comfort Inn if I were you especially if it's just for the night but Priceline is always an option if you can get it. Good luck!

JH,

Thanks I had figuered that out about the Dorado, and I intend to check out the cancellation policy at the Comfort Inn. Thank you for all your help!

MNSawyer,

Well, hello neighbor! I have been watching air fare for a couple months. We intend to do a non-stop flight out of Boston. Hopefully, they will drop closer to 300 before I decide I cant wait any longer and book!! You really should join us ( another couple going as well) on the cruise! We are going to have some fun! hehe Cant wait to go to Carlos and Charlies!!

My wife and I stay in Old San Juan at El Convento. Close to the dock and in the middle of Old Towne. We loved it. The roof top dipping pool and the wine ,cheese and the honor bar...May be a bit more than you want to spend but you wont get an opportunity to spend the night in a hotel built about 1650 here in the states.

Archived