Has Anybody Used AirTran?

gooselover

I used to use Air Tran frequently in the past before 2003 so I checked them out 1st last summer for our return from FLL to Philly after a trans atlantic cruise in Nov. My booking was direct to Philly and would get us in around 1 pm. A few months before departure we received notice of change of flight and we now had to go into Atlanta and there was at least a 2 hour layover. We arrived at Philly around 6 in the evening. We had to walk close to a mile from one terminal to another at Atlanta! At check-in at FLL the tape measure came out and we had to pay $78 for oversized luggage. One piece was over weight and we had to transfer clothes from one suitcase to the other in front of the check-in. We purchased our complete set of luggage 4-5 years ago when all the airlines down-sized luggage and we've never had a problem with our luggage while flying at least twice a year going to Hawaii, Los Angleles, Portland Oregon, Seattle, Las Vegas, Rome and England.

I will NEVER fly with them again. I have XM in my car so that is not so important. I prefer my IPOD.

John L.

John,

What was the weight restriction and how much was your luggage? I'm afraid most airlines are now weighing luggage.

Their weight restriction is 50 pounds per bag.

Bill

Why is a 50 pound weight restriction a problem? It's the same weight restriction INTERNATIONAL on US Airways, Continental, Delta, SWISS, and Lufthansa. I have flown all 5 international in the past two years. Also, Air Tran is my preferred airline within the US, but I never check any baggage as I use them for overnight type travel.

I don't think the walk in Atlanta has to do with the airline, but I did find the Houston Airport (Continental) preferable to Atlanta and I have been in both airports in the past two weeks.

Why is a 50 pound weight restriction a problem? It's the same weight restriction INTERNATIONAL on US Airways, Continental, Delta, SWISS, and Lufthansa. I have flown all 5 international in the past two years. Also, Air Tran is my preferred airline within the US, but I never check any baggage as I use them for overnight type travel.

I don't think the walk in Atlanta has to do with the airline, but I did find the Houston Airport (Continental) preferable to Atlanta and I have been in both airports in the past two weeks.

I couldn't tell you why the 50 lb limit is a problem. I wasn't the one complaining. I was just answering the question.:)

We have no problems with 50 lb limit. After 20 cruises we know how to pack light.:)

Bill

Archived