Ferry in Galveston Question

mrsneurotic

What ferry is this? Surely coming from Houston I don't need to take a ferry? Don't get me wrong- I love ferries. They are ship/boats after all. But please tell me I don't need to take a ferry.

if coming from houston, hit I45/ 146 to galveston, go acoss the causeway, no ferry involved going that way.....you might check the TXDOT website for construction plans though....

We are sailing on the Voyager on 22 MAR 09. We will be driving to Galveston from Alabama on I-10. Spending the night in Winnie, TX.

I have been readying reports of construction on I-45 From Houston to Galveston. I figured two routes.

1. From Winnie to Port Bolivar and take the ferry. My concern here is either road construction or fog. I know you don't know about fog, but would you suggest this route?

2. The other was to drive from Winnie to 146 going down to Seabrook where I could get on NASSA One which seems to connect to I-45 at ext 25. Do you know of any road construction/delays on this route.

We will be leaving Winnie on Sunday morning to catch the ship. I'm not sure, but I figure both routes will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

What would be your suggestion.

Appreciate you helping us.

Ron

Fog? I can't second guess the weather. Check in the morning you are leaving.

The ferry runs 24/7.

If taking Hwy. 146, don't get off at NASA 1. Hwy. 146 goes all the way to I45 just before the causeway to the island. There won't be any construction from there on to the island.

We are sailing on the Voyager on 22 MAR 09. We will be driving to Galveston from Alabama on I-10. Spending the night in Winnie, TX.

I have been readying reports of construction on I-45 From Houston to Galveston. I figured two routes.

1. From Winnie to Port Bolivar and take the ferry. My concern here is either road construction or fog. I know you don't know about fog, but would you suggest this route?

2. The other was to drive from Winnie to 146 going down to Seabrook where I could get on NASSA One which seems to connect to I-45 at ext 25. Do you know of any road construction/delays on this route.

We will be leaving Winnie on Sunday morning to catch the ship. I'm not sure, but I figure both routes will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

What would be your suggestion.

Appreciate you helping us.

Ron

I agree with the other poster, can't ever tell about fog, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem..... There is a restaraunt in winnie Al T's... cajun food, but also has about the best steak any where I have ever eaten... we only live 16 miles from winnie. and we normally use the 124- 87 route...road construction should not be a concern....the trip takes about 45 min to an hour, depending on the traffic on 87

GALVESTON CRUISER thanks for your help with our directions. Really do appreciate it.

I was not sure that I could go all the way. Someone had recommended that we turn at the NASSA road. It is good to hear that I can drive streight down 146 to I-45. I stayed in La Porta when I sailed on the NCL ship 4 years ago.

OLDMEDIC thanks for your directions. I'm really leaning towards the 124/87 route. I'm happy to hear that it is open and not in disrepair. I have been that way before and loved to see all the grand beach houses. It is going to be sad to see that they are no longer there.

AL T's. Thanks we will have dinner there.

It is really great that we can go to these boards and ask questions and get quick answers from the people who are in the know.

Archived