Dining on the Diamond

J18ktleo

j18ktleo, the NZ-AUS cruise had too many sea days for us. Other than that, we loved the cruise. The day spent cruising in the Fjordlands National Park reminded us of the Alaska cruise experience minus the snow. Don't know if it was a fluke but the Diamond was the only cruise ship in port at each location except Auckland so we got lots of attention! We were surprised that the South Island of NZ was so cool and damp after the extreme heat and humidity of the North Island. Never did any ship excursions - too expensive! (There was an article in the Sydney newspaper attacking the cruise lines for ripping off their patrons, especially on the Dunedin, NZ, based train excursions - ship cost was around double the price if done on your own. The newspaper contention was that tourists would think that the "locals" were ripping them off, not the cruise line....) I would advise extra time on the front and back ends of the cruise. Let's face it - that's a l-o-n-g way to go and you may never return to those lovely countries. BTW, the all the locals we encountered in both NZ and AUS were friendly and helpful. Our favorite port was Dunedin (Port Chalmers). Also, do some research before you go and you can use public transport vs. ship transfers in Christchurch (Lyttelton), Dunedin, and Melbourne.

kcl...thanks so much! We've been to Sydney so don't plan any extra time there but do want to spend 3 extra days in Auckland. And we NEVER do the ships tours unless they're the only option (i.e. Whitehorse railway in Skagway). I spend months combing info from the Port O'Call boards for all the info on tours and getting around on our own...best way to go!;)

If there's any other info you think I need please let me know at

jeani@j18ktleo.com!

Archived