Tie-it-yourself bowtie

CajunLiner

I thought it would be really neat to get a real bowtie for formal nights. I've tried them before and felt like Snoopy fighting the lawn chair at Thanksgiving. (The bowtie won by KO in the first round.) Can the butler help, maybe? Or is that pushing it?

Justin

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Cruise

My experience with Carl (the super butler) is there is little this person could not or would not do. I'm sure if he couldn't he would find someone who would!! I don't know if all butlers are as good as Carl, but he was truly a credit to Celebrity.

Dan

Century X1,Galaxy X2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith Oct/04 (hoping!!)

Century Feb/05

Just a suggestion, but each year before we cruise, I visit the local "upscale" department store and get a refresher course in how to tie the bow tie. Locally, Nordstrom is one I call. Not all the sales help in the men's department know how to tie, so I call ahead and find out when someone in the know will be working. I'm the one that ties my husband's ties and at Nordstorm they have this round pillow type thing that you can practice on. One or two practice goes and I'm ready to sail.

A video might be another good option, but I get lost trying to follow the printed directions that come with the bow ties.

Good luck! Once you have tied a real bow tie, you can always see and appreciate the difference.

This sounds easy, but,... icon_confused.gif

A bowtie uses the same knot you use when tying your shoelaces. The biggest difference is when tying your shoes the knot faces you; when tying your tie, the knot faces away from you. This can be confusing while learning how to get it straight. You can practice tying the bowtie around your thigh which is approximately the same size as your neck. This can boost your confidence, but you're tying toward yourself again, and doesn't translate well.

It should be much easier for your wife to tie your tie for you. She will be tying toward herself.

Once you've got it down pat, you're entitled to feel smug. As the evening is winding down, you can untie it and let the ends hang just to prove you're not wearing a fake. icon_cool.gif

Dan & Marlene

Us - NCL Norway 02/03

Her - NCL Southward 04/92

- Star Princess 05/95

- HAL Westerdam 09/96

All my husband's bowties are the kind you tie yourself. He usually takes instructions with him, but in February he forgot them. We were on the Zenith and our butler was Mark. He was amazing. He not only tied my husband's tie, he took the time to give him a lesson on how to do it himself. Mark tied them the first two formal nights and then my husband tied it on an informal night and on the last formal night. It took him a little longer than it took Mark, but he did it. Mark got a promotion and is now on the Mercury. If anyone has the the good fortune of having Mark for their butler, they're very lucky. Please tell him Bob and Carol say hello.

Carol

Archived