Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Bama MiMi

How much time do we need to allow to tour the Center and also approximately how long does it take to drive from the Center to

Whittier?

The amount of time you need will depend on your personal interests. We did not spend much time there at all as we didn't find seeing animals in captivity that interesting. My guess is we spent 45 minutes max. I have read that others really enjoy it. My DH was just glad we had a 2 for 1 coupon.

Not sure on the drive time. Someone else can pipe in with that answer.

I average around 20-30 mins driving through and stopping at each animal for a few minutes. You can get out and walk around having it take much longer. They also have a gift shop filled with made in China stuff. I dread going when I see a bunch of buses there.

It's 10 minutes to the tunnel which is open for 15 mins each hour. 9:30-9:45 10:30-10:45 ect going into Whittier. You'll want to arrive 5 mins before the release time to pay the $12 and get in line.

Getting out of Whittier is on the hour 9, 10 ect, with no charge to escape..haahaa.

Occansionly the time will get thrown off a bit when a train goes through but that's why the extra 15 mins when not much happens, so it's not that hard for them to get back on schedule.

It's less than 5 minutes to Whittier once through the tunnel.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/index.shtml

Archived