family ocean view stateroom

wksea

Hi - just spent 12 nights on EOS in room 8200 - the room was great - much bigger than I expected but I would never book it again because of it's position - in my opinion you could feel everything.

This was our 1st cruise and we were sailing with damage from the previous cruise so i'm not sure if this contributed to the movement but even in "moderate" seas I couldn't wait to get out of the cabin and spent as little time in there as possible.

Happy to answer anymore questions you have!

I've stayed in a deck 6 FOV on Navigator. I much preferred the space compared to 2 connecting balconies. There was significantly more rocking than midships. One evening after dinner, we got into bed almost immediately because we couldn't stand upright in the room. :o The alcove with the bunkbeds were great for my kids, aged 11 and 8 at the time. I wouldn't hesitate to book the same cabin again.

We stayed on Deck 2 on Independence of the Seas last month in a standard outside cabin close to the aft part of the ship. I felt no motion there and other people were complaining that they had felt queasy during the cruise from motion but we felt none of that.

Having had this experience, I would highly recommend booking in the lower parts of the ship. In fact, I already booked another cruise and we are gong to be on Deck 3- Plaza Deck because of this experience.

As for the view- we loved our picture window which is right above the beds. My son loved laying on the bed and watching the waves out the window. It was great. I highly recommend these cabins- very spacious feeling.

We stayed on Deck 2 on Independence of the Seas last month in a standard outside cabin close to the aft part of the ship. I felt no motion there and other people were complaining that they had felt queasy during the cruise from motion but we felt none of that.

Having had this experience, I would highly recommend booking in the lower parts of the ship. In fact, I already booked another cruise and we are gong to be on Deck 3- Plaza Deck because of this experience.

As for the view- we loved our picture window which is right above the beds. My son loved laying on the bed and watching the waves out the window. It was great. I highly recommend these cabins- very spacious feeling.

RebeccaLouise,

We are booked on Deck 3 of the Explorer in an Oceanview room ... midship. There will be 4 of us in the room (2 adults/2 kids (6 & 10). How many of you were in your OV room?? Did you find it big enough?? We also have a connecting door ... does this take away from the sitting area of the room??

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I am excited about the size of the room but really have reservations about being on the front of the ship. Have cruised before and felt some movement but were midship and it didn't cause any problems.

RebeccaLouise,

We are booked on Deck 3 of the Explorer in an Oceanview room ... midship. There will be 4 of us in the room (2 adults/2 kids (6 & 10). How many of you were in your OV room?? Did you find it big enough?? We also have a connecting door ... does this take away from the sitting area of the room??

Thanks.

If you have a connecting room, I don't think that takes away from the seating space. The problem with a connecting room is that you can hear the conversation of the other passengers, tv noise, etc. So I'd switch rooms if this is going to bother you.

The room itself will be fine. During the day the upper berths will be in the up position, at night they will be down and it will be hard for those in the top bunks to watch tv- but this is minor.

I think the room is a good size by ship standards and you will be comfortable enough. I highly recommend that you allow each other a modicum of privacy. Be respectful of each other. For example, if you are at the pool, say "I am going down to take a shower now" and then after you have gotten ready for dinner- get out of the room for a while to allow others to get ready. Otherwise I think you'll get on each other's nerves.

If you have a connecting room, I don't think that takes away from the seating space. The problem with a connecting room is that you can hear the conversation of the other passengers, tv noise, etc. So I'd switch rooms if this is going to bother you.

The room itself will be fine. During the day the upper berths will be in the up position, at night they will be down and it will be hard for those in the top bunks to watch tv- but this is minor.

I think the room is a good size by ship standards and you will be comfortable enough. I highly recommend that you allow each other a modicum of privacy. Be respectful of each other. For example, if you are at the pool, say "I am going down to take a shower now" and then after you have gotten ready for dinner- get out of the room for a while to allow others to get ready. Otherwise I think you'll get on each other's nerves.

Thanks for your input. We will be travelling with another family who would be in the other connecting room ... so sound shouldn't be a concern.

I was also wondering how storage is in the room?? Are the closets big enough?? Do they have shelving/drawers for unpacking?? Where do you store your suitcases??

I like to unpack and have clutter to a minimum in a small cabin and therefore storage is very important.

Thanks again.

You can put the empty suitcases under the bed. There are six drawers in the desk area, which will hold some of your clothing. There are drawers in the nightstand. There are small cabinets built into the mirror above the desk that I didn't discover right away- good for toiletries.

The closet has enough hanging space for everyone and some shelves which you can put the rest of your belongings. It worked great for two of us but it will be a bit cramped for four. There is plenty of storage space in the bathroom for medicines and the usual things.

Take fewer clothes and utilize the laundry service. They do a "fill a bag" promotion midcruise for $20 but for some reason they charged me $27. I didn't quibble but have no idea why they charged me the extra $7. Still a good deal.

wksea - sorry if i've worried you now - I think maybe it was because it was our 1st cruise and people had said before "oh you won't feel a thing" I guess and we did have particularly high seas on the last day which is probably what's sticking in my mind:o

Archived