HELP!! they lost my luggage

my parents just got back from their dream vacation on the adventure of the seas... it was their worst trip ever... their luggage never showed up on the ship.. they had paid in advance to have all of their luggage taken care of so they wouldnt have to deal with it.. well, royal caribbean never took responsibility and they were missing all of their clothes all week, couldnt go to dinner or anything.. so when they got back to chicago the airline told them that they had proof that r.c. took their luggage from the airport.. so where do we start to take care of this.. i have heard that the cruise lines are miserable to deal with, i just got back from the constellation and have nothing but ubelievable good stories to tell... so anyways any help with a phone number or a contact name or a certain person to ask for would be greatly appreciated...

thx

michael..

mekileen@yahoo.com

Michael - How awful! Who did they pay to take care of their luggage? I didn't know this could be done anymore post 911. Thought all passengers had to claim their luggage and then staff would take care of it.

Do your parents have their luggage now?

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

We've paid for transfers on our last two cruises, one of them RCI and the other Princess. Both required that we claim our luggage and then turn it over to the cruise agents who were at the luggage area. Once we did that, then the cruise line was responsible for getting it to the ship. Is this what your parents did?

What a terrible misunderstanding!! Hopefully their cruise/travel insurance will help pay for some of the loss.

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Join Our Legend Roll Call Here

Our Dawn Princess Caribbean Medley Family Cruise 11/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here

Windjammer-Flying Cloud 1991

Carnival Elation 1999

NCL Sun 2002

Star Princess 2003

Legend of the Seas 2003

hmm.. all i know is that they went with three other couples.. all together.. someone was to handle the luggage.. everyone elses luggage showed up and one of their pieces did show up.. but a 70# bag didnt.. i know i know.. dont put all your eggs in one basket but they did.. .anyways the airline has proof that rci recieved all of the bags.. but they didnt find this out till after their trip.. apparently rci kept saying they were looking into but it seems as though they didnt look very far..

How awful! Nothing's as bad as missing/stolen luggage.

I had my luggage STOLEN the day before I sailed a few years back. I had a rental car and stopped at an outlet mall in Ft. Lauderdale on the way to our pre-cruise hotel. Everything was stolen out of the car (in the trunk). I spent the next 8 hours shopping for clothing and essentials. It was a nightmare.

I'm suprised the cruiseline did not offer vouchers for clothing on board. Normally they also provide free tux's when the luggage doesn't show up for formal night.

I'm not sure about this "paid in advance" for luggage to be handled. It would be interesting to know how this works. Maybe it's an outside company. Did your parents book their air through the cruiseline? please explain this because it's confusing to know what they really did.

One thing to note - If they do not recover their luggage, their Homeowner's policy may cover it. They covered mine and the contents up to a certain amount. I had a deductable but it was still worth filing.

Maureen

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/15/2005

8 cruises to date.

I still think that they must claim their luggage from the shuttle at the pier and present it to the porters that load it to the ship. This discourages anyone from shipping questionable, i.e. dangerous, baggage to a ship without personally showing up. Airlines have the same requirement and for the same reason.

not to be rude.. but apparently no one understands my question.. all i am asking for is if anyone has had an experience like this and can recomend a phone number to call at rci or a certain person or a title of a person to ask for so we can get the issue resolved..

thanks

I would start with the TA, or if booked direct with the cruiseline go to them. Make sure that first you check all their documents and all written information to make sure that RCI stated (in writing) that they would be responsible for the luggage. Get your proof of pick up from the airline and have all that ready when you call. Since all the other luggage was delivered, it looks like RCI was in error. I'd make sure that I had all the proof they could ask for before calling. Also, ask to speak with someone in management if calling RCI. If booked through a TA, make them do the homework, that's what they're paid to handle.

Just another good reason to purchase trip insurance, but don't tell my DW! A cruise and a whole new wardrobe would be too much for her.

Stretch

Barcrawlers on ice, where will we turn up next?

Carnival Celebration 08/97

Carnival Fantasy 02/99

RCI Explorer 05/02

RCI Brilliance 04/03 The Barcrawler Legend Begins

RCI Brilliance 03/04 The Return of the Barcrawlers

Celebrity Summit 06/10/2005

Barcrawlers in Alaska

email address: Stretchcrawler@yahoo.com

[This message was edited by stretch on 04-26-04 at 11:42 AM.]

1skier1, I would suggest calling customer service. I don't have a # but the person in charge is a Mr Williams. Good Luck.

Happy Cruiser

Brillance of the Seas Panama canal Jan2005

Radiance of the Seas Thanksgiving 2004

Vision of the Seas Oct 2004

Radiance of the Seas Jan 2004

Adventure of the Seas Nov 2003 25 th Anniversary

Enchantment Oct 2002

Rhapsody Alaska Aug 2001

Horizon Bermuda July 2000

Sovereign Jan 1996 and November 1991

Monarch Nov 1993

Majesty Nov 1992

QE2 transatlantic July 1986

Countess March 1986

Post-Cruise Lost Luggage and Lost and Found (800) 256-6649

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

When you signed up for this service (or on the forms that you used or new forms), there must be contact numbers or whatever. I'm not trying to be unhelpful but I truly believe you should start there. There may be disclaimers you need to be aware of. The FULL terms and conditions on the forms is what you really need.

If it had happened to me, I would have shopped and rented tux's and claimed that back. I cannot believe the cruise line wouldn't have offered this. I would have insisted. Did they REALLY not go to dinner. This could happen to anyone - you must ALWAYS have a plan for when this happens - I do...

ANother note that might help. If you pay by Credit Card for the holiday then there's a good chance they will cover you for what any insurance does not. Worth a punt.

Keep us posted. Interesting story.

<applet codebase="http://*************/java-sys" height="25" width="203" code="countdown.class">

<PARAM NAME="font" VALUE="lcdb0"><PARAM NAME="month" VALUE="4"><PARAM NAME="hour" VALUE="17"><PARAM NAME="year" VALUE="2005"><PARAM NAME="day" VALUE="03">

</applet>

RCCL - Mariner (April 3rd 2005) - Click here for April 3rd 2005 Mariner Roll Call

Princess - Golden (April 3rd 2004)

RCCL - Navigator (June 2003)

RCCL - Explorer (April 2002)

RCCL - Voyager (June 2001)

Carnival - Paradise (Dec/Jan 1999/2000 Millenium Cruise)

Big Red Boat icon_smile.gif (1997)

7bdolph.gif

Archived