Marseille or Aix with kids?

Hi. I raved about everyone here so much that now my cousin asked me to post a question for her. She will be in on the Med cruise with her family. While she really wants to visit Aix, she is just not sure she wants to put her kids on a 45 min. bus ride. Should she just stay in Marseille? Are there taxis that would go to Aix? If so does anyone know costs? Thanks to all.

How old are the kids? Aix is a very nice town with lots of small shops, cafe's, etc. Not much for kids really, depending on their age.

As for Marseilles, there is a free shuttle from the ship to the center of town. They stop right on the water front. Again lots of shops etc. But, right next to the shuttle stop they have a rubber tired train that takes you on a 45 minute tour. They have two routes. I suggest the one that goes up to the top of the city to the Cathedral. They make a 10 minute stop at the top for photos. You can also get off and catch another train back down to town.

We did both places last year. We took the ships transfer to Aix for a 4 hour stop. Then after lunch on the ship we went to Marseilles.

We took our tour to Aix on Holland America. It was about a half hour bus ride where they dropped you off in the center of town by the big fountain and the tourist office. About all there is to do is walk around the narrow streets and see the shops and old architecture. We had about 3.5 hours on our own. I just don't see too much for kids 5 and 7 to do. There are lots of little cafes and bakeries though.

In Marseilles, the shuttle drops you off at the harbor. Kids always love boats and water. I found this web site about the little train.

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/in-marseille/how-to-do-it/tourist-trains/

Archived