Screwed by RCI .....once again

lmurf

We just returned from a 2/13 three night Bahamas cruise on Monarch. The cruise in itself was actually pretty good.

But...here's what happened on the first day...

We arrived at the Orlando Airport around 12:40 (via RCI arranged custom air). By the time we walked to baggage claim and retrieved our luggage, it was about 12:55. We immediately connected with a very elderly RCI lady who steered us down the hall to meet an elderly RCI gentleman, who directed us to the RCI desk.

Once at the desk, they took our information and put on our luggage tags. The lady nodded her head, and said, "Go over there and wait for the bus." (Our RCI transfers were included in our price for air).

In advertisements, they say, "buses departing every 30 minutes to an hour". So, expecting the bus any minute, I said, "How long do you think it will be?" She said, "Oh, about 2:45."

2:45? My gosh, that was an hour and 45 minutes! Plus, with a 45 minute drive to the pier, our afternoon on ship would be non-existent.

Trying to accept it, I said, "Well, can we leave our luggage with you and go have lunch?" Of course, that wasn't acceptable, so we could either drag our luggage to lunch with us or just sit there and wait.

2;45 finally arrived and no bus. Around 2:55, a bus rolls in and we are taken to the bus. After everyone boards and luggage is loaded, the driver and the 2/3 RCI folks stand around and shoot the bull, just hanging out. Around 3:10, the driver finally gets on the bus.

Of course, it's almost 4:00 before we arrive at the pier. Then, being platinum members earns us no advantage in the line, since there isn't much of one at this point. We check in, and just as we get to our cabin, the muster drill begins. We threw our carryon luggage into our state room and headed for the muster drill.

So, needless to say, we lost an entire afternoon (pool, buffet, etc.) of our cruise. Others had been on the ship since 11 AM. For a 3 night cruise, this really cut into it.

I don't know if RCI has cut back on their bus transfer service between Orlando and Port Canaveral, but this past Friday was really POOR.

On the cruise, the food and entertainment was fairly good, didn't really have any complaints. So, we just missed a good part of the first day. Does RCI even care?

We have been very loyal RCI C&A members, but are seriously considering another cruise line for our next cruise. Besides all the problems with RCI's website, including cruise history, etc., it just gets old.

:(

Royal got you to the ship in time for disembarkation. If you want to spend the first day on the ship, book your own air and take a taxi to the pier. They provided everything to you that was promised.

While I sympathize with your situation, if you wanted more time on the ship you should have booked your own airfare and transportation. Most of the time doing it on your own is cheaper and you have more (more, not all) control over your own destiny.

That same situation could have happened on any cruise line.

We just returned from a 2/13 three night Bahamas cruise on Monarch. The cruise in itself was actually pretty good.

But...here's what happened on the first day...

We arrived at the Orlando Airport around 12:40 (via RCI arranged custom air). By the time we walked to baggage claim and retrieved our luggage, it was about 12:55. We immediately connected with a very elderly RCI lady who steered us down the hall to meet an elderly RCI gentleman, who directed us to the RCI desk.

Once at the desk, they took our information and put on our luggage tags. The lady nodded her head, and said, "Go over there and wait for the bus." (Our RCI transfers were included in our price for air).

In advertisements, they say, "buses departing every 30 minutes to an hour". So, expecting the bus any minute, I said, "How long do you think it will be?" She said, "Oh, about 2:45."

2:45? My gosh, that was an hour and 45 minutes! Plus, with a 45 minute drive to the pier, our afternoon on ship would be non-existent.

Trying to accept it, I said, "Well, can we leave our luggage with you and go have lunch?" Of course, that wasn't acceptable, so we could either drag our luggage to lunch with us or just sit there and wait.

2;45 finally arrived and no bus. Around 2:55, a bus rolls in and we are taken to the bus. After everyone boards and luggage is loaded, the driver and the 2/3 RCI folks stand around and shoot the bull, just hanging out. Around 3:10, the driver finally gets on the bus.

Of course, it's almost 4:00 before we arrive at the pier. Then, being platinum members earns us no advantage in the line, since there isn't much of one at this point. We check in, and just as we get to our cabin, the muster drill begins. We threw our carryon luggage into our state room and headed for the muster drill.

So, needless to say, we lost an entire afternoon (pool, buffet, etc.) of our cruise. Others had been on the ship since 11 AM. For a 3 night cruise, this really cut into it.

I don't know if RCI has cut back on their bus transfer service between Orlando and Port Canaveral, but this past Friday was really POOR.

On the cruise, the food and entertainment was fairly good, didn't really have any complaints. So, we just missed a good part of the first day. Does RCI even care?

We have been very loyal RCI C&A members, but are seriously considering another cruise line for our next cruise. Besides all the problems with RCI's website, including cruise history, etc., it just gets old.

I have heard complaints about transfer buses from other cruise lines too. Many complaints of either being put on the bus and wait for a long time for other passengers or like you waiting in the airport for over 2 hours before you got to the pier. If you feel more secure with the cruise lines airfare continue booking with them but once you get to the airport hop on a shuttle bus and enjoy that part of the afternoon. I personally would not like to arrive that late and then go straight to the muster drill and loose the entire afternoon just because that is the way RCCL handles the bus transfer, especially for a 3 day cruise!

You definately are NOT the only one complaining about transfer buses!

I have to agree with everyone else - RCL got you to the pier within the correct window of time.

As an aside, I don't get the "once again" reference....that doesn't seem to be quite fair. We've been on eight RCL cruises and some had issues but my expectations are not that a cruise line is perfect, just fair and understanding when I have issues.

If you feel like you need to try another cruise line, that is your option (threat).

Happy cruising

Thanks for the input.

A couple of you gave smart-axx answers, but I guess I could've counted on that before I posted.

My main complaint is with the bus transfer not being what RCI promised, and that was a bus to leave every 30 minutes to an hour, not a 2 hours+ wait. In past cruises, we've gotten directly on the bus transfer and were on the ship pronto.

I thought maybe this new thing of making you wait 2+ hours was RCI's cutback or maybe a way of maintaining crowd control at the pier check-in.

Actually the solution is to not use their transfers -- most of us agree they are a waste of time and money.

If you would have just taken a cab you could have enjoyed extra time on the ship ;)

###

Sorry to pile one, but I agree. There are several transportation options outlined in detail on these boards. It's disappointing to not get what you were promised, but transfers are one place where you want control.

While the title of the posts seems a little over the top, I think you have a legitimate complaint. If they advertise bus service every 30 minutes to an hour, then that is what they should provide. In the future I would book your own air [cheaper] and there are a couple of shuttle companies that will provide shuttle service for a very reasonable fee.

I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your cruise though.

The OP makes a point though. If RCCL says in their advertisement that they depart every 30 minutes then why do they let people wait 2+ hours. May be the word "screwed" is a bit too harsh, but come on she paid for the transportation.

My husband and I would have taken a shuttle. There is no way we would have waited that long, but that is besides the point.

The reason we didn't take a taxi or shuttle is...

We had already spent the $ as part of the RCI air for the bus transfer. If we had taken a taxi or another shuttle, we would've been paying twice, as I knew RCI wouldn't refund the $ I had already spent on the shuttle.

The OP makes a point though. If RCCL says in their advertisement that they depart every 30 minutes then why do they let people wait 2+ hours. May be the word "screwed" is a bit too harsh, but come on she paid for the transportation.

I have never seen an advertisement that promised the transfers to the pier would run every 30 minutes. I would like to see these advertisements the OP is referring to because on RCCL's website all they say about the transfers is that the frequency and timing of transfers varies by port and by cruise.

The reason we didn't take a taxi or shuttle is...

We had already spent the $ as part of the RCI air for the bus transfer. If we had taken a taxi or another shuttle, we would've been paying twice, as I knew RCI wouldn't refund the $ I had already spent on the shuttle.

Have you bought airfare and transfer (it's included) from RCCL before? If so did you have to wait that long before?

The temp staff hired to direct transfer passengers have no responsibility to babysit your luggage. Not their job, nor would they want it, with the liability involved.

Any smart**s remarks were probably driven by your use of the words "...screwed by RCI.." You kinda set the tone with your post and got what anyone would expect as a reaction.

You got:

air

transfers

cruise

what part of the contract was violated?

Thanks for the input.

A couple of you gave smart-axx answers, but I guess I could've counted on that before I posted.

My main complaint is with the bus transfer not being what RCI promised, and that was a bus to leave every 30 minutes to an hour, not a 2 hours+ wait. In past cruises, we've gotten directly on the bus transfer and were on the ship pronto.

I thought maybe this new thing of making you wait 2+ hours was RCI's cutback or maybe a way of maintaining crowd control at the pier check-in.

Even if you are unhappy with the quality and value of RCI's transfer, why would you not cruise on RCI again just because of that? It's a miniscule cost of the total vacation and a totally optional and avoidable service. As others have already pointed out, most of us wouldn't even think to use their flights and transfers in the first place! If all that happened to me, I would've decided that I would book all future airfare and transfers myself, save myself some money and time, and enjoy my cruises even more! :rolleyes:

I have never seen an advertisement that promised the transfers to the pier would run every 30 minutes. I would like to see these advertisements the OP is referring to because on RCCL's website all they say about the transfers is that the frequency and timing of transfers varies by port and by cruise.

I am "assuming" that the OP did not make up this story. So that would be a question to ask the OP!

I never buy from the cruiselines. I am a control freak I have to have total control over my air departure etc. etc. and once I get to the airport I jump in either a shuttle or taxi as soon as I can. Then when I get to the pier I push myself right to the front, even though I do not have status with RCCL yet. LOLLOLLOL (just kidding)

I applaud RCCL for hiring the elderly. ;) I noticed that when I sailed from Port Canaveral last year, and they were terrific. ;)

I wish the ships pulled into Vegas. I would go to work again. :D

Oh, I was wondering if that had anything to do with making their bus late? :confused:

PS, I had the transfers once and had an early flight home. I had first off luggage tags. We got on the bus and sat for 1 hour and 45 minutes until they filled the bus. The whole ship was empty by the time we left the pier. We made our flight by 5 minutes. Never again did we do transfers.

Did I come on here and yell and post it? NO. Have I still cruised RCCL? Many times over. Lesson learned, I do my own transportation. ;)

I applaud RCCL for hiring the elderly. ;) I noticed that when I sailed from Port Canaveral last year, and they were terrific. ;)

I wish the ships pulled into Vegas. I would go to work again. :D

Oh, I was wondering if that had anything to do with making their bus late? :confused:

Before this is turned into a slam on the elderly, let me make it clear that it clearly IS NOT. I just described the adjunct staff of RCI who worked at the airport. They were very nice, just slow and methodical. I am elderly myself, so I have not problem with the elderly.

The bus driver, however, was not elderly, but he certainly couldn't 'get the lead out' and get us on our way. He and the staff hanging around the bus were very lackadaisical in their way and attitude.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't the ONLY one who had to sit for 2+ hours and wait for the bus departure. There were several folks in the same boat and they were as disappointed and disgruntled as we were.

:)

Well, as I said, the transfers did not happen as they were advertised. That's the part.

And I would like to see where it was advertised they would happen every 30 minutes - I have NEVER seen such an ad, and if they are advertising as such would like to call them on it myself but as I said on their own website they do not promise that.

Archived