What to do in Belieze

jbank2000

I have to agree with the cashew wine! wish I would have brought back a few bottels. And Cave tubbibg dot com were awsome! It was our first excursion not booked with the ship and everything went well. We got back to the port with some time to walk around and do some shopping. I think we only spent 45min walking around the vendors and that was two long. You just have to be firm with the hair braiders. Also had the oppertunity to buy weed, but passed that up. Once you go past the border officials there is a little shopping area that is nice. Try snorkling at Goff's Caye. The guide boat picks you up at the ship, you never go to the main land, and it is beautiful snorkling.

I've been to Belize three times and will be back next January. I've always gone with Coral Breeze on their Sting Ray City Snorkle tour and had a ball. This time, I'd like to do something different. At 62 (63 next January) . . . I'm not sure I'd even be able to climb up that ladder into the boat again (arthritis in my left knee has gotten worse). Would love to go cave tubing but have heard that you have to carry the tube down to the water and it's about a ten minute walk. Not sure I can do that. Climbing those stairs at the ruins is definitely out (darn this knee) . . . :(

So any suggestions for an "old lady" with a sore knee?

Last January I went to Belize and the ship didn't offer what I wanted to do, so I found a private tour operator---www.experiencebelizetours.com---online. We were so lucky to have found them. They turned out to be spectacular! They will take you anywhere in Belize to do anything you want to do. We wanted to see the Baboon Sanctuary, have lunch, and go to Altun Ha Pyramids. It was a wonderful day in a private air conditioned van with just the 4 in our party and our tourguide, Allen, who sang us songs from his childhood and kept us laughing all day. He drove us by the president's house (just a regular house in a neighborhood!), pointed out wildlife everywhere, and introduced us to Sean who lives at the Baboon Sanctuary. Sean was able to call down several wild juvenile howler monkeys (they are very docile animals), one of which took a piece of banana from my hand! Thrilling! We're going back to them to do the exact same day in several weeks with our daughters. They'll love it! Oh, and it's much cheaper than a ship excursion.

I've been to Belize three times and will be back next January. I've always gone with Coral Breeze on their Sting Ray City Snorkle tour and had a ball. This time, I'd like to do something different. At 62 (63 next January) . . . I'm not sure I'd even be able to climb up that ladder into the boat again (arthritis in my left knee has gotten worse). Would love to go cave tubing but have heard that you have to carry the tube down to the water and it's about a ten minute walk. Not sure I can do that. Climbing those stairs at the ruins is definitely out (darn this knee) . . . :(

So any suggestions for an "old lady" with a sore knee?

The cavetubingDOTcom guys carry the tubes for you FYI, we had a guy with us that had alot of health problems and he couldn't make it all the way to the top where you drop into the water from, so one of the guides (there is 1 to about every 4) waited at a different point, about halfway down the river, with him and they joined us at that point, they were absolutely perfect, I'd try it if I were you!!!

Carole

The cavetubingDOTcom guys carry the tubes for you FYI, we had a guy with us that had alot of health problems and he couldn't make it all the way to the top where you drop into the water from, so one of the guides (there is 1 to about every 4) waited at a different point, about halfway down the river, with him and they joined us at that point, they were absolutely perfect, I'd try it if I were you!!!

Carole

Thanks Carole . . . will definitely check it out . . . Tammy

If you would just like a beach day, we went over to Bannister Island. We booked through the ship (and we haven't done that since our first cruise!) They picked us up at the ship, then brought us back, but if you wanted to stay on the boat, they took you over to the port area. Then when you were ready, you just hopped on the tender back to the ship. I loved Bannister Island. A few of the companies offer it, but you have to tender over to the port first.

the cave tubing was shut down when we were there so we went to the Mayan Ruins on a tour. Tallum in Mexico is better, but at least you can climb on the pyramids in Belize. The river tour was great.

Belize City can be a little rough, but stay where you belong, and you won't have a problem.

Da Bear

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Belize a couple of times....

the snorkeling is amazing!

I liked going through Carnival for one basic reason....you do not have to tender ashore,,,,the excursion boat picks you up at the ship.

First time I did Goffs Caye and I loved it! I snorkeled off the boat and it was beautiful then we had time at the beach. I did an early morning tour which got us back to the ship in time for lunch then we hopped a tender over to the pier area.

the next time I was with my kids and we did the snorkel and Barrister Island. This was great! Boat took us out for a snorkel then we went to the caye where there were rafts and fun things to do.

I was looking at the snorkeling and bannister island tour and wondered how the water was where you snorkel. With my kids I wondered if it was calm or a little rough. I'm sure it depends on the weather also.

Thanks

Karen

I was in Belize last week (from the Miracle) and we did not book an excursion with Carnival. Instead we found a place from the locals called Eco Tours (it was offered by Carnival, but we got it more then $20 cheaper). The snorkling was FAB! My most favorite thing I did at any of the ports. I then got my hair braided by a local. We had a fantastic time in Belize.

With the new cave tubing rules not sure if it is still an option but there is a company (I dont think I can say the name) who runs a cave tubing and zip line combo tour. By far the best excursion we did when we were on the Legend last August.

cave-tubing.com Yhonny is very good.

Also, regtour.com Reggie does a good job also.

There is not much to do in Belize and you do not want to venture very far, a little shopping area but not much.

We canoed through the mangroves and wine tour and had an awsome time. We had to take a bus ride to get there so had a fantastic tour of the city (very dirty - garbage everywhere) We had a blast canoeing as very few people had ever canoed before, we spent a lot of time rescuing people and getting out of their way- we pulled up the rear so we wouldn't lose track of anyone. We stopped at a winery for sampling and lunch. All I can say is the wine was a little different than we are use to. I also have heard great things about cave tubing.

We did the W. Carib in 2007 and Belize was DH's favorite stop. We did the Altun Ha Mayan ruins and the river tour through the ship and it was alot of fun. The ride out to the ruins was an adventure in itself. We were on a bus, and it seemed the driver was trying to beat his best time. We were allowed to walk to the top of a couple of the pyramids but it wasn't required. If you can't, or don't want, to make the walk, you can stay on the ground and still experience them. The picture below was taken there...

l_0eaa265b76f8ae1ad1f47c1c7f9e0cc0.jpg

I was just curious if you remembered how much you paid with ecotours? I didn't know if you got it cheaper than booking with them ahead of time.

Oh was the water calm or rough?

Thanks!

Karen

We talked them down to $30pp (we were a group of 3) and the water was not calm, but not super rough. You did have to pay attention while snorkling or you would end up going with the waves. We did not book them a head of time, but worked out a deal after we got to the pier.

Thanks, the hyphen in the web address makes all the difference!

The cave-tubing.com people were the best. They even stopped at a little convenience store so i could buy some beer on the way to the river. Keith the barber was really funny and really helpful if you can get on his bus. They will keep you safe and make sure you are well taken care of any and everyway. The cashew wine was great too. Greg

The first time we were in Belize (a few years ago) we opted to just go for a walk through the town near the port....it ended up being a very short walk because we were so uncomfortable with the 'atmosphere' there....just didn't feel safe at all. In a couple of weeks we will be on a Holland America ship (the Veendam) with Belize as one of our ports. This time we've booked an excursion (through the ship) which is a Belize City tour and "airboat adventure". From the video I saw of the airboat part (on the Belize port boards) it looks pretty cool and there are a lot of great comments about this excursion. Maybe there's a private company that runs this tour if Carnival doesn't do it.

Kathy

Archived