Questions from Family, 1st Time Cruisers, Looking at Alaska on Statendam in June

genny429

Hello all -- I'm a 39yo dad with a dear wife, daughter (9yo) and son (7yo). We have always wanted to go to Alaska, and have been lured in by Alaska pricing to consider our first cruise.

First, thanks for all the help that is available on this forum! Here are a two questions about what we are considering that I'd like to throw out for comment by any of you who have the time or inclination to share thoughts:

We have a possible room reserved in the "outside" category in "FF" class on the Statendam for the June 14 Seward to Vancouver cruise. Do we need to dig any deeper about exactly which room, etc.? Are all rooms in a given class like FF generally created equal?

Does around $1900 for the four of us sound like a decent price in the current sale-happy atmosphere?

I am trying to avoid the general questions that get asked alot (and about which I have benefited by reading older threads - thanks all!). This last one falls into that category, so no need to respond if you feel like it's ground (too) well covered:

I've read a lot about HAL age demographics (some likely stereotypical and some likely based on fact I imagine), and have decided that I'm not too concerned about the "skews old" meme for a variety of reasons. Still, I guess I think positive comments about "Club HAL" for kids are harder to find than I'd like. So, wondering if any family HAL cruisers would like to weigh in on Club HAL, for good or for bad. We'll be traveling during (albeit at the beginning of) summer schools-out season, so hoping a few families with kids would be on the ship.

Any Alaska or Statendam specific comments also welcome, although I'll try to post Alaska questions on the Alaska board.

Thanks much all. :)

Our two grands, 12 and 14, with parents cruised to Alaska last summer on HAL. They had a great time and loved the ship. There should be many families at that time a year. Our BOYS wanted to have every meal in the dining room. A great trip was had by all. Their cruise was way more expensive than they are this year. Go for it!

If you end up on the Lower Promenade you're going to be so pleased! Pretty much, almost all of the 'outside' category staterooms are the same. Looking at the deck plan will point out the major differences.

$1900 is a good price - especially for an outside for 4.

The only comment I can make on 'Club Hal' is kind of by omission... On a Mexican Riviera cruise, it was 3 days into the cruise before I even realized that there were quite a few of the 'younger crowd' on board. Club Hal keeps them SO busy! I only saw them waiting for Tenders back to the ship, or occasionally in the Lido. I've only heard good things about this program so far.

Sounds like you're doing your homework! Great job!

Hello all -- I'm a 39yo dad with a dear wife, daughter (9yo) and son (7yo). We have always wanted to go to Alaska, and have been lured in by Alaska pricing to consider our first cruise.

First, thanks for all the help that is available on this forum! Here are a two questions about what we are considering that I'd like to throw out for comment by any of you who have the time or inclination to share thoughts:

We have a possible room reserved in the "outside" category in "FF" class on the Statendam for the June 14 Seward to Vancouver cruise. Do we need to dig any deeper about exactly which room, etc.? Are all rooms in a given class like FF generally created equal?

All FF quad cabins are created equal; the only issue is location. On your ship, the Statendam, I see from studying the deck plans that the FF quads are located on "A" deck. There are several FF quads up front near the infirmary and the "A" deck launderette, which might make for some passenger traffic. The FF quads in the stern are near the stern mooring area, where the equipment for tying up the ship is located. I don't know whether you would get some noise from the winches, as I've never had a cabin back there. A ship is a working city in microcosm, so if you realize that you may get some noise and activity, but can live with it, FF quads are fine. Personally, I would pick the cabins up near the infirmary, cabins 714, 716, 719, 721.

I am not an expert on ships, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Does around $1900 for the four of us sound like a decent price in the current sale-happy atmosphere? Yes, very good price.

I am trying to avoid the general questions that get asked alot (and about which I have benefited by reading older threads - thanks all!). This last one falls into that category, so no need to respond if you feel like it's ground (too) well covered:

I've read a lot about HAL age demographics (some likely stereotypical and some likely based on fact I imagine), and have decided that I'm not too concerned about the "skews old" meme for a variety of reasons. Still, I guess I think positive comments about "Club HAL" for kids are harder to find than I'd like. So, wondering if any family HAL cruisers would like to weigh in on Club HAL, for good or for bad. We'll be traveling during (albeit at the beginning of) summer schools-out season, so hoping a few families with kids would be on the ship.

There will be other families with kids on the ship. You're traveling in June, when most, if not all, school districts and colleges are out for summer vacation. Club HAL does a good job with kids in Alaska, in my personal experience. Your mileage may vary. Your daughter would be in the 8-12 year old group, and your son with the 3-7 year old group. Alaska is about the ports, and what's outside. I'd recommend getting your kids involved in planning your shore excursions. Make sure to attend the Club HAL orientation meeting the first evening of your cruise. This gives your kids an opportunity to meet other kids, and it gives you a chance to meet with the counselors.

Any Alaska or Statendam specific comments also welcome, although I'll try to post Alaska questions on the Alaska board. Good idea, lots of helpful info over there.

Thanks much all. :)

I am neither a travel agent, nor a highly experienced cruiser. I do spend a lot of time researching my own cruises, as I see you are doing. Therefore, take my information for what it's worth. Your best resources, besides reading as much as you can, are either a well-informed travel agent, or a HAL Personal Cruise Consultant, if you are working directly with HAL. Good luck and Bon Voyage!:)

genny429,

I was just surfing around this forum searching for information when I stumbled across your post. It helped to answer some of the questions I have regarding our cruise on the Statendam on May 24th, 2009. I'm traveling with my DH and 11yr old and 9 yr old sons. Thank you for your post.:)

My husband and I are also cruising on the Statendam on June 14th, along with a four -day land package before the cruise. Went to pay the balance on the trip and were ecstatic:eek: to see that the price had come down almost $3000 and we upgraded to a veranda suite. :) Not sure if that savings was in the land package or the cruise but I'd check out to see if your price has dropped. As they say "couldn't hoyt";) Sue

My teenage son and I went on a NB cruise on Zaandam last summer. Answering some of your questions from my perspective:

- We paid $1030 p-p for a Cat FF. $475 per person for a Cat FF is excellent! We ended up being upgraded gratis to the most expensive outside category that wasn't a balcony so I have no remorse that fares have plummeted and am happy you found a killer deal.

- There were 110+ kids on our sailing and my son had no problem finding lots of friends. You can call HAL Ship Services and they can tell you how many kids are registered for your sailing in your kids age groups. My son isn't too quick to comment on good or bad experiences but he had a lot of good stuff to say about The Loft and the staff. He wanted to be sure I named a few crew members on the comment card. For him to do all that meant he had an exceptional experience. He definitely had a much better experience that he had on Carnival but that's a different story.....

- I checked out the kids facilites and they seemed well organized and staffed. Part of the "coolness" for kids is adults are not allowed. You're encouraged to check in with your kids now and then, but if you hang around they will politely shoo you away. There are a few arcade and console video games, basketball and ping pong. My son spent a lot of time in the pool.

- As you probably read, Alaska is about the ports and the ship or your cabin are less important. Focus your spend on better shore excursions, especially since Alaska is pricey even in this economy.

Hope this helps, you will enjoy HAL or any other line you pick. HAL's reputation of an older demographic really doesn't apply to summer Alaska cruises. I'd be concerned if you were considering taking your family on a cruise to Hawaii in March!

Hi all -- Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. We've had some distractions here at home the last few weeks, so I have not had a chance to express our gratitude sooner. The responses have gone a long, long way in reassuring us.

We actually ended up on the Veendam June 14 from Vancouver to Seward. We're in Class FF toward the "back" of the ship (outside, non-balcony). We can't wait!

Thanks again and take care all. :)

Archived