Carnival Valor & its stop in Belize

amy2313

We are on the Valor in just a few weeks and just booked a snorkel excursion to Goff's Caye with Carnival. The tour is from 9am to 12:30pm. Does anyone have any ideas for us for something else to do in the afternoon since we will have the rest of the day to do something - we are not due to depart until 5:00pm.

We originally wanted to go to Caye Caulker but due to the time differences the tour company that provides this said we just wouldn't have enough time to do this one.

We had hoped to be able to spend more time snorkeling but this was the longest one that we could find. Is there maybe even a beach w/ snorkeling in POrt (Belize City area) that we could go to once we get back from the excursion to Goff's Caye?

Thanks for the help in advance!

I'd recommend posting this on the Belize board, so you don't limit responses to Carnival passengers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

If I were you, I'd look into a river tour or a city tour. Belize has a wonderful history, and Belize City is supposed to be very interesting. Another idea would be kayaking, since the water is so beautiful and clear. Check out the Belize board for specific ideas!

I'd recommend posting this on the Belize board, so you don't limit responses to Carnival passengers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

If I were you, I'd look into a river tour or a city tour. Belize has a wonderful history, and Belize City is supposed to be very interesting. Another idea would be kayaking, since the water is so beautiful and clear. Check out the Belize board for specific ideas!

Thanks - I will check out the Belize boards specifically.

We are on the Valor in just a few weeks and just booked a snorkel excursion to Goff's Caye with Carnival. The tour is from 9am to 12:30pm. Does anyone have any ideas for us for something else to do in the afternoon since we will have the rest of the day to do something - we are not due to depart until 5:00pm.

We originally wanted to go to Caye Caulker but due to the time differences the tour company that provides this said we just wouldn't have enough time to do this one.

We had hoped to be able to spend more time snorkeling but this was the longest one that we could find. Is there maybe even a beach w/ snorkeling in POrt (Belize City area) that we could go to once we get back from the excursion to Goff's Caye?

Thanks for the help in advance!

We did that trip and it was great! You will board a tender directly from the ship to take you to the island (there is a picture of it on Webshots if you run a search). You can either snorkel from shore, or from the boat. If you go from the boat, I think you will find that all that swimming and sun is tiring; the area around the reef has some fairly strong current, though not so bad that my 9 year old couldn't swim it. After that, I think that you will find however, that you may not want to do anything else...excpet perhaps take the tender into Belize to "see" it - though there is not much else to see. You need to stay within the tourist chain link area -outside that, it get's rough. There are a few cute shops, but really, it isn't much - Belize is the least "attractive" port of call on that trip.

You also need to keep in mind that when you are done with the shore excursion, you will want to get some lunch. Tendering into the city can take 15-30 mintues depending on how quick things are moving; and sometimes, you have to wait 30 min to get on the tender back to the ship. So, since you are supposed to be back on board by 4:30, you won't really have all that much time.

If you read these boards enough, you will find that one of the biggest "mistakes" people make on cruises is trying to cram too much in and not just enjoying things and relaxing. That Western Iten. is wonderful but it can also be really demanding when you have shore excursions in every port. Hope that helps.

We did Goff's Caye a couple of years ago. If I had it to do again, I would just pay to stay there all day and lay on the beach. We started snorkeling off the boat and there are some pretty strong currents so you will be tired after the swim. It would be great just to veg on the beach the rest of the day. The City did not impress me and definately do not venture out of the fenced area. We tried to leave the tourist area and my husband was immediately propositioned by a prostitute. Very scary beyond the fence. Stick to the caye and have fun!!;)

For those of you who have snorkeled Goff's Cay - is the coral at the surface or further below the water? Did you see more fish or just coral?? I know a few of you have mentioned strong currents - just wondering how strong it really is. Has anyone snorkeled from the beach?

Mary

We were on the Valor a year ago and went to Belize. I booked the snorkeling trip through Coral Breeze out to Caye Caulker. We had plenty of time before and after the trip. Loved it so much, we did the same excursion on the Glory 6 months earlier. I do not understand what the problem is about the time schedule. We had not problem at all. Check it out, Heni is a fantastic guide. You snorkel at the top of the barrier reef, absolutely amazing!!!

Whatever you end up doing, have fun.

We were on the Valor a year ago and went to Belize. I booked the snorkeling trip through Coral Breeze out to Caye Caulker. We had plenty of time before and after the trip. Loved it so much, we did the same excursion on the Glory 6 months earlier. I do not understand what the problem is about the time schedule. We had not problem at all. Check it out, Heni is a fantastic guide. You snorkel at the top of the barrier reef, absolutely amazing!!!

Whatever you end up doing, have fun.

I really wanted to do Caye Caulker and had been looking forward to it but when i contacted Coral Breezes they said that with ship time vs. local time and with the fact that their tour starts at 9am (Belize time) it would be really close on getting us back in time. I think (and I could be wrong) it has something to do with the time change plus the fact that daylight savings just happened it the US.

My girlfriend and I are on the Valor 05/03/09 sailing. I would like to know what tour company(s) to contact for Belize Zoo and City Tour? She is not into water sports and zip lining. Thank you for your help. Karen

Archived