Payne's Beach?

redjeni2002

My husband and I will be cruising into Bridgetown on March 26th (Thursday). I would like to snorkel and hear that Folkstone is the best place to do this. I've heard that Payne's beach is nearby and a nice, sandy beach. But I've also heard not so great things about the beach lately, such as it's noisy, crowded, and full of people trying to sell you things.

So, my question is, after a bit of snorkeling (we have our own gear), could we wander down to Payne's for a bit of sun and r&r-maybe a tasty drink or two???

Thanks!!!

I was all set on Paynes beach then i read it was very busy and commercial. SO, then i decided on Accra, then i read not so good things on that. Then i hear go to Crane thats the best. BUT, that is 14 miles away and APLMAC says it takes 1 hour to get there. I am more confused then when i first started.

Opinions needed...

WANTED!!!!

Nice clean beach.

Calm enough water to swim in.

Bathrooms to use if need be.

NOT more then one hour away by taxi or bus.

Glass bottome boats or Cats available to hire for turtle snorkling, maybe even the wreck snorkle too!!!

HELP, i am about to jump ship!!!

My husband and I will be cruising into Bridgetown on March 26th (Thursday). I would like to snorkel and hear that Folkstone is the best place to do this. I've heard that Payne's beach is nearby and a nice, sandy beach. But I've also heard not so great things about the beach lately, such as it's noisy, crowded, and full of people trying to sell you things.

So, my question is, after a bit of snorkeling (we have our own gear), could we wander down to Payne's for a bit of sun and r&r-maybe a tasty drink or two???

Thanks!!!

We've been to both, and yes, Folkstone has good snorkeling. We really didn't like the beach at Payne Bay, however, for all the reasons you've already mentioned. The Blue Monkey, the bar over on Payne Bay has closed. Aplmac may be able to tell you if there's still a place over there to get drinks if you're really interested.

We,ve have stayed on Barbados 3 times near to Paynes Bay, it,s a beautiful beach, but it does get busy when there is a cruise ship in so we always avoided the beach on those days, also, last time we were there, in 07 a new condominium was under construction at the north end, which could only increase the problem.

I don,t think it,s particularly good for snorkeling, although there is a small reef at the north end and they do get turtles on a regular basis, in fact the cats stop there for that reason.

Sorry to hear the BLue Monkey has closed, I can,t think of anywhere else to get a drink there.

Folkstone is an underwater nature park which claims to be very good for diving, there is also a small museum.

You can!!! walk along the beach between the two, about 3 miles, but there are a couple of dodgy places if the tide is in, or use the buses, blue or yellow, very frequent along this coast.

Also worth noting, all the beaches on Barbados have free public access, including Sandy Lane, next door to Paynes Bay, but it isnt always easy to find, sometimes it,s just a sandy track through the trees.

Although we like Barbados a lot, it does have a slightly run down air, especially Bridgtown, but it,s very easy to get around by car or bus, and there is plenty to see if you are prepared to get out and about.

If we want to go to a nice beach and see/swim with turtles. (As was promised to the 12 year old) which beach would be recommended???

THANKS!!!

OH, also going to Antigua, St. Kitts, and Dominica...maybe one of those would be better to turtle snorkle???

Archived