Schwerin

Nghthawke

HeinBloed,

When you have a moment can you post the instructions/schedule for taking the train to Schwerin/return please? We arrive in Warnemünde aboard the Eurodam on Thursday May 14th : arrive 6 am / depart 11 pm.

Checked this already?

How you get from the ship to the train:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemunde-germany-train-station-guide.html

and to find your way in Schwerin?

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/schwerin-germany-walking-and-public.html

If you are not planning any other place but Schwerin I would suggest to use the schedule in the red section (scroll down):

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-lbeckschwerin-train.html

It fits to the validity of the train day pass:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-all-destinations.html

If you go exacty 2 hours earlier earlier you have to pay a little more:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-buying.html

This would then allow you to return two hours earlier and maybe to stop in Rostock:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-train-and.html

But as your ship arrives very early: for 20 EUR pp more you can get around 9 am in Schwerin and go later to a second spot like Lübeck (but that's from Kiel easier) or Wismar...

If you like to spend this money and have a second spot: let me know. I will create an itinerary for you.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Looks like I'll have some homework to do this weekend!

Will we be able to manage with a little German phrasebook? This is my first time to Europe and I'm kind of nervous about the language thing. Am fluent in English and French.

Will we be able to manage with a little German phrasebook? This is my first time to Europe and I'm kind of nervous about the language thing. Am fluent in English and French.

Bienvenue en Allemagne!

Bienvenue en Europe!

Check this for free lessons in German for Tourists:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,9674,00.html

Bon voyages!

Salut

HeinBloed

• 3 months later...

HeinBloed,

Thank you so much for all your help. We traveled safely to and from the Bundesgartenschau in Schwerin. Enjoyed a hearty KartoffelGemüseAuflauf at the kitchen garden restaurant (need to find a recipe). Even managed to try the currywurst at the stand just outside the tunnel in Warnemunde.

Truly a memorable day!!

HeinBloed,

Thank you so much for all your help. We traveled safely to and from the Bundesgartenschau in Schwerin. Enjoyed a hearty KartoffelGemüseAuflauf at the kitchen garden restaurant (need to find a recipe). Even managed to try the currywurst at the stand just outside the tunnel in Warnemunde.

Truly a memorable day!!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the day in Germany and made and get in good shape and on time back to your ship.

And is MY ship is still in good shape??? I got already my tickets for July... Sorry to see that they changed to e-docs and no more NICE baggage tags and the document covers...

Kartoffel-Gemüse-Auflauf is very simple:

HALF-!!! (maybe 10 minutes)-Boiled potatoes in slices...

shifted with various kind of vegetables in slices and pieces

maybe some ham or bacon in little cubes...

some muscat nuts, salt and pepper...

in a baking form for the oven

in a seperate pot:

Melting butter

and putting a TableSpoon of wheat flour when butter became brown and liquid and bubbling -

stir both together while it started to "boil"...

add some milk and maybe some chicken/vegetable/beef brooth... until you a get a creamy white sauce...

add salt/pepper

add some shredded cheese or cream cheese...

and still stir until every thing is a nice sauce.

Put now the sauce of on top of the potato and vegetables until every this is lightly covered and some sauce is between the gaps.

Add shredded cheese on it.

Into the oven for about 20-30 minutes - about 160-180° C (no idea how much in Fahrenheit)...

Hope you will enjoy it as much as your trip in Schwerin.

Guten Appetit

HeinBloed

Hi Heinbloed,

you are so helpful! thank you.

we will be in Warnemunde on Monday, August 3, 2009

what are possible times to catch the train to Rostock between 9--10:30 AM that day?

we plan to walk around Rostock that day. To catch the ferry back to Warnemunde, how much will it be? And how often does it sail?

Hi Heinbloed,

you are so helpful! thank you.

we will be in Warnemunde on Monday, August 3, 2009

what are possible times to catch the train to Rostock between 9--10:30 AM that day?

we plan to walk around Rostock that day. To catch the ferry back to Warnemunde, how much will it be? And how often does it sail?

The train to Rostock departs

every 10 minutes during rush-hour

every 15 minutes during day time

every 20-30 minutes during night time...

So I will not specify to concrete as you must never wait too long...

07, 22, 37 and 52 minutes past the hour...

The last boat (it's not a ferry...) is from Rostock 15.30 hrs... but if it is nice weather they extend the service.

It's 8 EUR one way per person by boat.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Dear Heinbloed,

Thanks so much for sharing all of your wonderful knowledge. We will be in Warnemunde on Saturday, August 22nd from 8 am to 10 pm on the Emerald Princess. We would like to visit Schwerin, Wismar and Lubeck but I think that might be too much in one day. Do you think we could do all three in one day with a rented car? We are prepared to rent a car but the train might be easier. What would you suggest as a train itinerary? Possibly delete Lubeck and add Rostock? Thank you!

Kelley

Dear Heinbloed,

Thanks so much for sharing all of your wonderful knowledge. We will be in Warnemunde on Saturday, August 22nd from 8 am to 10 pm on the Emerald Princess. We would like to visit Schwerin, Wismar and Lubeck but I think that might be too much in one day. Do you think we could do all three in one day with a rented car? We are prepared to rent a car but the train might be easier. What would you suggest as a train itinerary? Possibly delete Lubeck and add Rostock? Thank you!

Kelley

Before I create an itinerary for you:

Do you want to see the Garden Show??? Then you need to delete Wismar or Rostock if you want to take the TRAIN as you will not have enough time to stay in Schwerin or you take the car and will have the time to see all three spots.

Somehow 08.00 hrs to 22.00 hrs is a "stupid" / "unpleasant" time frame...

You miss all trains for a soon departure and need arrive early back to ship...

Therefore for your ship I would recommend to use the car to see three places.

Let me know how you would like to decide and I create a suggestion for you.

Regards,

HeinBloed

After reading your thoughts, we will definitely be renting a car in Rostock. I have read your instructions and have made the arrangements for the car to be at Pier 7. I hope it is there when we get off the ship! We are going to Schwerin to see the castle and the garden show. We enjoy seeing as much as we can in each stop are are not interested in stopping for a long lunch. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your time and patience,

Kelley

After reading your thoughts, we will definitely be renting a car in Rostock. I have read your instructions and have made the arrangements for the car to be at Pier 7. I hope it is there when we get off the ship! We are going to Schwerin to see the castle and the garden show. We enjoy seeing as much as we can in each stop are are not interested in stopping for a long lunch. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your time and patience,

Kelley

Personal suggestion:

First to Schwerin...

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/schwerin-germany-buga-2009.html

then to Wismar...

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/wismar-germany-city-walk.html

then my favourite scenic tour from Wismar back to Warnemünnde...

(or parts of the route like Rerik and Kühlungsborn...)

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/wismar-to-warnemunde-germany-scenic.html

It would a perfect mix to see history, architecture, nature, water, landscape...

Have a wonderful day in Germany...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed, is it possible to visit both Lübeck & Schwerin from Travemünde by train? Our ship docks at Travemünde and we only have around 7 hours max. We prefer to do the train instead of renting a car. But could rent a car if absolutely needed.

I found the train schedule for Travemünde/Lübeck and it is twice an hour at :36 & :58 past the hour, return at :01 & :18 past the hour. I hope I have correct info.

We definately want to spend some time in Lübeck as it looks like we would really enjoy it. But Schwerin has caught our interest as well.

Heinbloed, is it possible to visit both Lübeck & Schwerin from Travemünde by train? Our ship docks at Travemünde and we only have around 7 hours max. We prefer to do the train instead of renting a car. But could rent a car if absolutely needed.

I found the train schedule for Travemünde/Lübeck and it is twice an hour at :36 & :58 past the hour, return at :01 & :18 past the hour. I hope I have correct info.

We definately want to spend some time in Lübeck as it looks like we would really enjoy it. But Schwerin has caught our interest as well.

Just to be sure...

are you calling on COSTA MEDITERRANEA Travemünde???

Friday, September 11 but for 10 hours from 08.00 hrs to 18.00 hrs.

http://www.luebeck-cruise.de/content/view/19/37/

The only "stupid" thing is:

Your ship will call the ferry terminal Skandinavienkai. I tried to find the train station but I could not and the receptionist did not know where the access is. But there is one.

The train leaves for Lübeck every hour: 36 minutes past the hour.

36 minutes can be too short to get from the ship and find the station...

9.36 and you can make it to Schwerin for 11.13 hrs...

... you can stay around 90 minutes or 150 minutes if you like to see the Garden festival...

then you are around 15.00 hrs in Lübeck and need to return 16.01 hrs...

For my taste to less in all places to be happy with both places...

I would rent a car.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks HeinBloed for the information. We are docking with the Costa Mediterranea on Sept 11. We suspected that it would be difficult to see both via train as we would not be able to spend much time in both places. I was able to get maps and info on Travemünde and Lübeck from their tourism websites. Your blogs are a great help as well. Thank you for sharing so much information.

Since our cruise will be so port intensive and Travemünde is our last stop, we may just spend our time in Lübeck. But if we decide to also include Schwerin we will probably just rent a car so that we can spend a good amount of time in both.

Thanks HeinBloed for the information. We are docking with the Costa Mediterranea on Sept 11. We suspected that it would be difficult to see both via train as we would not be able to spend much time in both places. I was able to get maps and info on Travemünde and Lübeck from their tourism websites. Your blogs are a great help as well. Thank you for sharing so much information.

Since our cruise will be so port intensive and Travemünde is our last stop, we may just spend our time in Lübeck. But if we decide to also include Schwerin we will probably just rent a car so that we can spend a good amount of time in both.

Maybe you should contact HERTZ in Travemünde and ask for delivery to SKANDINAVIENKAI / HAFENHAUS as your ship is not berthing in the center of Travemünde. Tell them that you are on a cruise which is NOT calling Ostpreussenkai.

http://www.hertz-miera.de/popup-mietstation-travemuende.html

It's a very unpleasant area: just truck parking for ferries and warehouses...

You will just loose time to get out of this area with public transport.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the Kartoffel-Gemüse-Auflauf recipe. Eurodam cruise was wonderful. Our group enjoyed every single stop on our cruise. Europe was amazing. Minor hiccup with the w/c on our last night but the plumber showed up and fixed everything.

Archived