Hotel Jazz booking issue

When I booked my cruise, I asked my TA to book the Hotel Jazz in Barcelona one night pre-cruise in October.

She booked the room for me and my charge account was billed $201.38 USD, non-refundable. This was two months ago. I just learned that the Jazz is offering the same room for 94 Euros per night which is $117.24 USD. I asked my TA for an adjustment on my credit card. She told me she booked through a hotel booking service and I should take up the matter myself with the hotel.

What do you think? Am I stuck? This is the first time I've used this TA.

I would think she could cancel - even online sites such as Travelocity, Priceline etc let you cancel (albeit w/a small fee). If she was a good TA who wanted to keep your business in the future, I would think she would help you out. Most travel can now be booked easily online so TAs should be more helpful, esp. with today's economy.

I actually am going to be staying in this hotel in the summer - had booked on their site then re-booked when I saw they lowered their rate. Hoping it's a nice place.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

I would think she could cancel - even online sites such as Travelocity, Priceline etc let you cancel (albeit w/a small fee). If she was a good TA who wanted to keep your business in the future, I would think she would help you out. Most travel can now be booked easily online so TAs should be more helpful, esp. with today's economy.

I actually am going to be staying in this hotel in the summer - had booked on their site then re-booked when I saw they lowered their rate. Hoping it's a nice place.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Did you have to pay for your accommodations in advance booking through the hotel online site?

I booked myself, online. And, no, it wasn't already charged for me. ... I got a rate of something like 95 euro for our July cruise and won't be charged until we arrive. And, you can cancel with very short notice!! Actually, the rate keeps dropping and several on our Roll Call have booked - canceled - and rebooked every time the rate drops.

I just booked two nights at the Hotel Jazz - one pre-cruise and one post-cruise - I did it directly through an email with the hotel. The guy, Daniel, was great, going back and forth with a few questions I had prior to booking. Try emailing the hotel and explain your situation, but you may be stuck with it. Most times if you book though the websites that charge your card immediately, that charge sticks. That is the reason I usually go through the hotel directly or find a site that your credit card is just a guarantee and not charged.

We are looking forward to our stay at the Hotel Jazz after all the good reviews!!

Hi there -

Same as "BigGuy" - held mine with credit card on hotel site but they don't charge until you get there - can cancel until I think 6 pm day prior if I remember correctly so I just cnc and rebooked it no fees. Always best to deal with the hotel direct (when it's cheaper) if they have that policy.

I would just ask the TA how they booked it - even if they did it through online site they can still probably cancel, even if it might be a small fee, but shouldn't be FULL amount.

Hope it works out.

OP here. Thanks for your input and suggestions. My TA booked hotel through a travel agents' booking agency. I guess I'm not supposed to say the name of that agency in this post. I did pay $201.38 in full at booking. The confirmation states that my payment is non-refundable.

My first email to my TA got me a response directing me to deal with the hotel myself. I then sent another message expressing my disappointment with a TA that doesn't work on behalf of their customers and told her I felt taken advantage of having to pay about $75 more than the rate quoted for same room, same night on hotel's website. I also sent her a link to the hotel website. I told her I could have booked my own room, saved $75 without having to pay a non-refundable in full payment. She wrote back telling me she would try to get the booking agency to make an adjustment. I don't hold out any hope of getting this fixed. They already have my money. I guess I just learned a valuable lesson.

Some of the hotels in Barcelona are running special rates now to fill up for the cruise season. You mentioned you booked it 2 months ago. (pre specials) It's sort of like an airline ticket. Gotta catch it on the "right" day for the cheapest ticket. Keep talking to the TA. DId your rate include breakfast? If not, see if she can get that thrown in ....at least that will save you a bit.

The non refundable agreement is what's killing you of course.

The TA telling you to work it out with the hotel is ridiculous. SHE booked it. If you get no ammends from her... I would drop her for future use. Would let her know too that you won't be using her and recommend that your friends and family don't. Let her know you brought it up with your friends on cc. By the way is she an agent in an agency that has a manager or owner that you could speak with? They are the ones that can override anything your agent has said.

We'll be in BCN in Sept. Whoopee.

Archived